Centipedes and millipedes

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Luc
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Centipedes and millipedes

Postby Luc » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:29 pm

This topic continues from the discussion on centipedes and millipedes found at:
http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php? ... 283#279283

Does anyone have a house full of these long-legged horrors at the moment???

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en ... 1&ie=UTF-8

I would love to know if anybody does and how they manage to control them. I really don't think I can cope with the thought of one of them hanging on the ceiling over my bed whilst I sleep.......

I am not normally the type to be bothered by insects, but this creature is really testing my tolerance!

I had eleven of them the other night, two of them in my bedroom....

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:38 pm

Hi Luc
we have a few in our house we live in at them moment, but loads in our new house, (old house renovated) it is far damper up there so that would explain how come.

They are horrible creatures and like yourself have been concerned about them being in the bedroom at night, worried where they might crawl if they are after bed bugs!!

Yuk!!

They do not like the gold coloured raid we have found (watch one die, its horrible, I can't help feeling sorry for them!) so a good squirt of that 1 hour before bed should help keep the little b**ger at bay for a while anyway.

Nikki

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
lotti
Super User!
Super User!

Postby lotti » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:40 pm

HI
Im sorry to say we have them as well and they last all summer . They run fast and do a weird jump!!!!! I hate the things 1 nite i woke up and saw one above the bed so laid there watching it but ended up falling asleep .I woke up screaming checking the bed for it yuck they are so ugly and creepy . They can be killed with sprays and if you spray them close up there legs come away from there body and keep moving!!!!!!!!!!!! So creepy ... If you manage to squash them they seem to be empty just made of mushy stuff......

I have been told they bite but Hope that is a wind up ... Ive no idea why this world needs them at all . What use are they ? Oh I really don't like them either .

Lotti

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:42 pm

lotti wrote:HI
I have been told they bite but Hope that is a wind up ... Ive no idea why this world needs them at all . What use are they ? Oh I really don't like them either .
Lotti

Have a read Lotti
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_centipede

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
lotti
Super User!
Super User!

Postby lotti » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:46 pm

Hi Dannia

I'm not reading it if it says they bite .... does it say that ? Don't forget I'm there alone sometimes .

Lotti

Have those big black jumpy things arrived yet this year I dont like them either .!!!!!!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
markie
Super User!
Super User!

centipedes

Postby markie » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:46 pm

Hi,

I dont want to frighten anyone, but I actually posted a question on an insect thread about a week ago asking if Bulgaria has a certain centipede that is found in Greece. I remember reading one time about a couple who returned home from holiday in Greece, and one of these wee beasties had made its way into their luggage. Anyway, it eventually made its way into the couple's bed when back in UK and stung one of them, and I think that person became quite ill, had to get treatment etc. Does anyone know if any of these centipedes in BG are poisonous :?: :?:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
lotti
Super User!
Super User!

Postby lotti » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:49 pm

Oh Thanks for that Markie 8O so how ill can they make you ??
Lotti

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
markie
Super User!
Super User!

Postby markie » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:01 pm

hi lotti ust read on wikipedia there, and sounds like its a bit like a wasp sting, so not too serious. says most centipedes are not of great harm to humans unless you are allergic to their venom, although some tropical ones are a lot worse. I have to say those ones in the pictures dont look like the one that I think lives in Greece. That one from memory was a lot bigger 8O

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
ashlar

Postby ashlar » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:03 pm

We have 2 white turkish cats so our house so far is insect free, and they have never been ill even after eating them.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
lotti
Super User!
Super User!

Postby lotti » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:09 pm

Hi Markie

I think the ones we have look hairier if you know what I mean and they can be huge ... Also some seem darker in colour even though they are still goldern.... Even if its only like a bee sting I don't fancy that if I'm alseep in bed !! Looks like i will spray the bed every night from now on when I'm out there. Ive used the gold top raid like Dannia and it does work every time .. I've also leanrt not to spray the ones on the ceiling above the bed cause they drop and die as soon as sprayed landing on the bed .. Ive only got them in the bedroom no other rooms at all which seems strange .

Lotti

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”