Cider

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

bulldoggeorge
<b>Property Sales/Rentals</b>

Postby bulldoggeorge » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:36 am

Here is a helpful site for making cider, like everything else American - a bit over the top sanitary wise. http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/htmpubs/4191.htm
Just a couple of tips, for reliable fermentation; always add yeast, and do not use all desert apples, they do not make good cider. Crab and cooking apples produce the best results, a mix of 50% desert is the max you should use.
Happy brewing! :drinkers:

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:50 pm

But ARE there any cooking apples in BG? Not found any so far.

Lee

anita

Postby anita » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:41 pm

My mum brought over some cut up cooking apple branches with the intension of grafting them but it was too late in the season so instead we have just stuck them into the ground. They over wintered with plastic bottles on them and three of them seem to still be alive. Hopefully i may have the first Bramley trees in Bulgaria!!

tatz2003

Postby tatz2003 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:42 pm

bobafett
Super User!
Super User!

Postby bobafett » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:50 pm

is it not possible to buy seeds on the tinternet or have someone bring them over for you, then grow your own? bob :?:

anita

Postby anita » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:02 pm

No apple seeds never grow the same tree they came from. I'm sure someone else with come up with a more technical answer

bulldoggeorge
<b>Property Sales/Rentals</b>

Postby bulldoggeorge » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:02 pm

Here is a link to the best tree nursery you will ever find. I was looking for some old varieties of apples that we had as children. My grandfather planted up an orchard at the turn of the century with some wonderful apples you just wont find now. The orchard is now a housing estate!!!!!! These apples are not available now because they are not commercial, e.g. they are irregular shapes or size, don't store well, don't travel well ect. but they are some of the tastiest apples you would ever taste. Not at all like the wet cotton wool taste of Golden Delicious!!
My trees are now 4 years old and we had the first few fruit last summer.
http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/search.aspx
On the plant type select Apples Cider and click Go!
This link is the fruit specifically bred for cider, note they all originate from the West Country, and only one variety is described as sweet.
The site is full of useful information regarding root stock climate suitability etc.

njw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby njw » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:46 pm

Hi Slaps,bet you wish you were back in the Crown in Fontmell Magna supping a nice cool pint of Stowford Press. Im now living in the Isle of Wight but have fortunatly found several pubs in our town that sell Stowford's. Have heard that The Crown now is more of an eating place and has changed hands ?
Good luck with ur fishing and other buisiness ventures out there "power to ur elbow.
We finally got building permission to build on another plot of land across from our house in Momchilovtsi after waiting nearly a year and a builder has started last month so we are a bit happier now something is moving.
Anyway good luck and get that Cider brewin OOOOAAAAARRRRRR !!!!

Kozzol
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Kozzol » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:25 pm

:partyman: :partyman: \:D/ :-({|= :smt015 We are the cider drinkers oooarr oooay oooarr oooay oooarr oooay :lol:

mihangel
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mihangel » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:52 pm

No crabs or cookers in Bulgaria? It looks like we will just have to import a few maidens from England. The question is though: Can they survive the summer heat? :smt010 Choosing a variety that will suit the climate is most important. With this thought in mind, perhaps grafting onto existing Bulgarian rootstock could be the best option. This is not an easy process for an amateur in my experience, and the only time I tried it, it didn't work, but I'll try anything again for a pint of scrumpy.

Thanks for the nursery link Bulldoggeorge. Another good nursery for rare or old apple varieties, and fruit of all kinds, is Brogdale in Kent.

http://www.brogdale.org/plant_sales.php

The Frankfurt area in Germany is the nearest place where they make cider in quantity, but it's apfelwein and not quite the same stuff really.

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”