Cider

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
anita

Postby anita » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:12 pm

Hi just to let everyone interested in buying cider know that Metro in Varna is now stocking the small bottles of Strongbow. 4 x 275ml in a pack at 7.44lv, so thats 1.86lv a bottle. Its a bit hard to find, next to the aperitifs.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:49 pm

It is in with the white wine in Metro, Blagoevgrad. The staff were a bit puzzled to find two cheering Brits there, having found it. My Somerset husband is very pleased.

Lee

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
del69
Super User!
Super User!

Postby del69 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:37 am

Hi guys.

Just wondering how you all getting on,making your own Cider?

Well iv managed to make about 10 gallons or so so far but im running out off large glass vessels (Demi jons/carboys) and with the whole village knowing what im up to,pop round with a bottle or two for glass or two when ready...hick.

I'm storing them in the spare bathroom at it looks smashing with all that plonk and when you open the door all you hear is the fizzing........loverly jubberly...

So how's you all getting on.........

Del.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:11 pm

Planning on picking up a wooden barrel next time we see one.

Lee

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Razor
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Razor » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:45 pm

If you are struggling with apples there is an interesting looking pear cider on here
http://www.yobrew.co.uk/cider.php

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
trickytree
Super User!
Super User!

Postby trickytree » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:14 pm

I have been brewing pear cider this last couple of months amongst other things, and I can only say that not only do our local brits enjoy it but many of our bulgarian pals want me to make cider for them. Apple cider next on the agenda, spent today making a press, all is fine in Priselci and everyone is happy, :lol: forgot to say that chervena djanka wine is a must for all you diy winos out there, be happy, have fun, chaochao :lol: 8) :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:04 pm

How are you crushing the pears / apples? We used a juicer today and it took ages....

Lee

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
trickytree
Super User!
Super User!

Postby trickytree » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:19 pm

Chop finely, boil, stir add sugar, stir boil some more, stir, let cool, add some pectin and a little yeast, stir, keep stiring for about a week, get in with nicely washed hands and keep crushing every day, finally, put the mash or must through a cider press into a secondary fermenting vessal with air lock and leave for about 2-3 weeks, bottle rack and drink :lol: 8) superb!!! Goes down well with pancakes, comfiture, choc sauce , peanut butter and creamy goats cheese, :D 8) , have fun , we do :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
del69
Super User!
Super User!

Postby del69 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:25 pm

Lee.

Well i used a modified power drill with a tumbler masher that i made and used a car jack to crush the apples and pears........if you Google it in youtube you should get the idea.............

If not ill post some pictures of my setup that seems to work well,i can get a gallon in two presses,its only a small setup but wow,just to hear the trickle of apple/pear juice wahahaaa come on....but the bl**dy wasps just love it. 8O

Anyway happy Cider Days.

Del

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
beercat

the flying spider

Postby beercat » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:47 pm

trickytree wrote:I have been brewing pear cider this last couple of months amongst other things, and I can only say that not only do our local brits enjoy it but many of our bulgarian pals want me to make cider for them. Apple cider next on the agenda, spent today making a press, all is fine in Priselci and everyone is happy, :lol: forgot to say that chervena djanka wine is a must for all you diy winos out there, be happy, have fun, chaochao :lol: 8) :lol:

Hi TT, was very happy to help test out the afore mentioned, and if any further help needed, am prepared to answer the call :partyman:

all the best to you and H................BC

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”