Storks and other first bird sightings 2009

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mickw
Super User!
Super User!

Storks and other first bird sightings 2009

Postby mickw » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:47 am

Saw my first Storks of the year yesterday, a flock of 15 to 20, just south of Yambol, early I know but definately Storks.

Mick

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:56 am

del69 added;

Mickw....

Saw my first Storks of the year yesterday, a flock of 15 to 20, just south of Yambol, early I know but definately Storks.

Mick

Hi Mickw

Iv seen two squadrons of pelicans south of yambol in the last week but flying north to south....maybe chasing the warm air?

Cant wait to see the storks again as one built a nest not far from the house.

Del

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Pelican
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Pelican » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:12 am

I watched as the first Dalmatian Pelicans (Pelecanus crispus) returned to Srebarna on 1st Feb...I was out with friends on top of a nearby hill celebrating Trifon Zarezan.

Within 20 minutes a Wild Cat (Felis silvestris) had reached the preferred breeding site and the Pelicans retreated to a secondary site some 200 metres south, this is surrounded by water so should be safer.

There are now around 60 in residence there and we expect another 100-120,

We're hoping for a successful breeding season this year and still working on plans to ensure this for the future...............

Saw my first Larks (Alauda arvensis) of the year on Saturday..

Lovely

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
del69
Super User!
Super User!

Postby del69 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:36 am

Pelican or anyone...

I have only seen this the once.....Whilst fishing on a large lake back in the uk a huge storm (Supercell) developed above the lake and with in minutes i was sheltering under my big brolly from the golf ball size hail that was plopping into the lake "Brilliant stuff".

I noticed the swans and geese had there bills pointed skywards to reduce the head area from been hit by the hail and thought to myself how cleaver these birds were.

Have any of you seen this or heard of or seen something that's unusual.

Del.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
kazz
<b>Country Advisor/Property Finder</b>

Postby kazz » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:07 pm

So what do we do about the Martinitsa's?!
I believe you, but this is at least a month early by my reckoning. Bird experts correct me if I'm wrong please.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Pelican
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Pelican » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:42 pm

del69 wrote:I noticed the swans and geese had there bills pointed skywards to reduce the head area from been hit by the hail and thought to myself how cleaver these birds were.

Have any of you seen this or heard of or seen something that's unusual.

Del.

I've never seen that del. Have seen gulls sheltering their heads underwing....bit like you and your brolly..
Last edited by Pelican on Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
del69
Super User!
Super User!

Postby del69 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:55 pm

Never seen gull's do this Pelican,i guess its just been in the right place right time...to witness the unusual.

May be all birds have there own way of protecting them self's in hash weather.

Del

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mickw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mickw » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:12 pm

Hi Kazz,

My thoughts exactly,if someone gives me a Martinitsa I suppose I bung it on the tree right away, having seen Storks already.

Mick

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Pirol
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Pirol » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Pelican wrote:Within 20 minutes a Wild Cat (Felis silvestris) had reached the preferred breeding site and the Pelicans retreated to a secondary site some 200 metres south, this is surrounded by water so should be safer.

Maybe the appearance of a wild cat (Felis sylvestris) is more interesting than the pelicans in Srebarna. Maybe it was a house cat. :wink: Or are they so widespread?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Pelican
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Pelican » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:24 pm

Pirol wrote:Maybe the appearance of a wild cat (Felis sylvestris) is more interesting than the pelicans in Srebarna. Maybe it was a house cat. :wink: Or are they so widespread?

Well done Pirol you spotted my deliberate spelling mistake and scored 10 points on the pedantic nerdometer :lol:

I can confirm categorically that it was European Wildcat as I was with Kolyo Mihof the recently retired Bulgarian Academy of Sciences local expert and we had great views through a range of telescopes for 15 minutes. It was only my fourth sighting in 3 years here.

We now have around 120-140 Dalmatian pelicans on two sites and today I saw a pair of Ruddy Shelduck, 2 pairs of Great Crested Grebe and numberous Egrets....

Will I get the opportunity to see a lesser spotted Germanetz this summer? :D

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”