Dog gonna be death of me

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Tiarnan
Mega User!
Mega User!

Dog gonna be death of me

Postby Tiarnan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:25 pm

Need some advice from any clever "doggy" people out there. Our dog has got fed up eating the chickens.......on account that they are in a more secure area mainly.....but now wants to eat or dig up anything in the garden. Marymo had 2 lovely crowns of rhubarb just planted and doing well. She.....Niamh the dog, not Marymo... dug one up and destroyed it....I tried telling Marymo...."but she has left us one"...that cut not a lot of ice. She dragged a new water pump out of a pond and chewed the wires.....it was 3 days old. She has tumbled pots of plants over....again tonight some rhubarb seed that were growing are no longer growing. She is 6 months and has only started this digging in the last couple of weeks. Can anything be done...?.......we never wanted a dog on a chain.....and still don,t.....we have a pen for her but don,t even want her locked in there all the time....lock her now if we go out. Is this " a pup" thing she,ll grow out of. Tonight Marymo is not too pleased....says I shot a cat for less.
All help....as quickly as possible before Marymo gets the gun out.... much appreciated.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
oldtimer
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby oldtimer » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:35 pm

Sorry no answers except you can have Bobby our dog who is just the same but 3 years older, or just shot it :lol: :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Tiarnan
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Tiarnan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:47 pm

Just read out your reply and Marymo has shouted out to me as she fiddles with gun cabinet lock...."ask Oldtimer would you not just take our Niamh". ? I think its a whole fuss over not a lot. :roll: But I think I may be second on the list after poor Niamh. :? :? :?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
banshee
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby banshee » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:51 pm

You need to give her a piece of the garden she can dig in, discipline her if she tries to dig anywhere else . I find a tap with a rolled up newspaper doesn't hurt but is noisy and effective and usually works.

However there are exceptions and you might have to take oldtimers advise :lol: :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bgcarl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby bgcarl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:07 pm

In addition to Banshee's discipline, try some positive reinforcement too. When she digs, tell her to stop, if she stops do the "Good girl" thing and make a fuss of her. Follow her round for a long time and do this, she'll learn.

Cheers

BGCarl

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Tiarnan
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Tiarnan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:11 pm

This dog NEVER digs when you can see her. Turn your back for 5 minutes and she,s heading for Austrailia. But she IS clever enough to know she has done wrong. Once I spot what she has done she,ll slope off and stay out of my way for a while.
If it was,nt for Marymo I,d let her dig away....save me doing it. :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
SimonTrace
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby SimonTrace » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:35 pm

http://tinyurl.com/2t8e72

Check this out. Some very useful hints and tips on there. :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Jerico
<b>Building Services</b>

Postby Jerico » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:40 pm

Tie her up on a 2m length of chain for the reat of her life.

Works for the rest of Bulgaria.

Jerico

p.s. i love my pooch 'Honey'.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
HarPe

Postby HarPe » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:43 pm

I would agree with Banshee ...... give her her own area (which you have dug up) and hide things in it that she can dig up and enjoy ... toys, bones, rhubarb ...... dead cats :cry: ..... keep replenishing it and she just might prefer that to 'helping'you :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Tiarnan
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Tiarnan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:50 pm

Harpe
I,m gonna try that tomorrow......whats to lose....so I,ll give Marymo the spade and have her dig a few sods out. Maybe bury a chicken as well. We,d three children......one of each.......and they were less bother than this dog.

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”