I HATE the wood burning stove. Any alternatives please.

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
charlieboy

Postby charlieboy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:55 pm

I have come upon this thread at a late stage but we have had a Petchka supplying out central heating radiators for 6 years and the only effect of the fire is directly above the Petchka which means a 5 min painting job in the spring.
I would suggest your Petchka is 'leaking' quite a bit of smoke so check your flue etc...

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mariainraduil

Postby mariainraduil » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:21 pm

Hi B52

I have sent a pm

Maria

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
sealman

Postby sealman » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:48 pm

fridges ,to wood burning stoves,seems a hell of leap to me...

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
peterpiper
Super User!
Super User!

Postby peterpiper » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:52 pm

The Inverter air con units are efficient in producing heat but the big drawback is once the temp drops to under -5C then they don't produce heat as there isn't any in the air to extract.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:37 pm

sealman wrote:fridges ,to wood burning stoves,seems a hell of leap to me...

Not if you bothered to read all the posts!!......So amalgamating everything together we get a fancy fridge that gives you 4kw heat for 1kw energy if the outside temp is above -5c

Next thing to find out is the running cost,I shall try to ask my neighbours what their leky bills are through winter.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:15 am

brianj42 wrote:I've booked myself on a 6 week Forest Management and Arborist course in the UK as I see a lot of potential/help in the future with forests. Free fuel as well can't be bad. I just need to suss out the "getting electric from wood" thing and I've cracked it. :wink:

Brian.....I don't know what its called but most of the councils in UK have them, its a kind of large tree and branch shredder, the councils use them to turn trees into chips when they remove overhead branches etc from the roadside.

The chips would dry really quickly and can be moved with blasts of air from a feeding hopper into a furnace, next buy some land, an acre or so plant the trees that you can coppice, 12 tones per acre I read, no waste and much easier work to chip everything in the machine.

Steam, heat water to drive a small steam engine to turn a generator.

Free wood,free heat,free steam,free electric....idea patented here, this time next year Brian we'll be millionaires :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bigbulg
<b>Legal Services</b>

Postby bigbulg » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:08 am

peterpiper wrote:The Inverter air con units are efficient in producing heat but the big drawback is once the temp drops to under -5C then they don't produce heat as there isn't any in the air to extract.

I dont think thats quite accurate, the gas in the aircon is around -25'c so there is heat to be obsorbed, albeit cold, My aircon stops being efficient at -15'c not -5'c. I've had them producing heat well below freezing no problems.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:15 am

walls so grubby they need a repaint after a winter with a petchka? maybe a leak in the seal where the stove pipe comes out ......

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:23 am

jinx57 wrote:walls so grubby they need a repaint after a winter with a petchka? maybe a leak in the seal where the stove pipe comes out ......

If this is the case you need to seal it asap which is not a hard task. Any leak creates Carbon Monoxide and although it may give headaches and lethargy in small quantities, it can also leak big time and the results overnight are not good (Kaputt).

The other thing which not a lot of people actually do with log fires, inserts and pellet boilers, is to have an air inlet from the outside somewhere under or near the fire. In fact, on pellet boilers they do have an outside air intake. This is so the fire actually burns oxygen from outside the house rather than sucking all the oxygen from inside the house AND sucking cold air in via cracks, windows and doors. A lot of cold in houses in winter is sucked in by the fire rather than blown in from the wind.

Just a thought :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
seathrift
Super User!
Super User!

Postby seathrift » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:33 am

jinx57, Just another thought have you got flue connections the right way round? A male then to female in the direction of the air flow.

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”