I HATE the wood burning stove. Any alternatives please.

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
User avatar
seathrift
Super User!
Super User!
Posts: 810
Location: Vinarsko, BG

Postby seathrift » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:50 pm

Condensation will only be visible on walls when the plaster or the wall finish cannot absorb it. The walls can in fact be quite damp and only a moisture meter will reveal it. New properties will take some months to dry out properly.
Smoke getting into a room can be due to a number of factors. One of which is the flue is not warm enough and cools the air before it can rise out of the chimney. It can be the shape of the flue or the shape of the roofs around it, together with the wind direction. It can also be, lack of incoming air to allow the air to rise in the flue.
Design of flues may not be rocket science, but it is something of a 'Black Art'. From long ago memories of when I tried to design a domestic chimney there at least two extensive British Standards on the subject, which would be worth reading if you are having problems.
Without detailed knowledge of all the factors, including the topography of the surrounding area and roofs it is impossible to define a solution.
If a lot of smoke is getting into the room then at least install a Carbon Monoxide alarm, or your relatives may end up getting your estate early.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
User avatar
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!
Posts: 936
Location: Valchi Dol
Contact:

Postby spantrout » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Seathrift wrote
If a lot of smoke is getting into the room then at least install a Carbon Monoxide alarm, or your relatives may end up getting your estate early.


In these days of PC who wants an estate full of smoke?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
User avatar
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!
Posts: 493
Location: On The Keyboard

Postby qwerty » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:09 pm

seathrift wrote: It can also be, lack of incoming air to allow the air to rise in the flue.


God, its like telepathy or something, I was saying just this to the Mrs. the other day, I've got to install trickle vents next because I dont want the place too sealed up, a wood fire consumes a lot of air and that air has to be able to enter easily. I'm only part way through my renovation and still have more insulating to go.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
User avatar
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!
Posts: 2394
Location: Sat at my bl**dy computer !

Postby brianj42 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:17 pm

qwerty wrote:
seathrift wrote: It can also be, lack of incoming air to allow the air to rise in the flue.


God, its like telepathy or something, I was saying just this to the Mrs. the other day, I've got to install trickle vents next because I dont want the place too sealed up, a wood fire consumes a lot of air and that air has to be able to enter easily. I'm only part way through my renovation and still have more insulating to go.


We installed direct external air vents to the log fire and the pellet boiler after we realised that they were sucking in so much oxygen and therefore pulling in the cold outside air through the window and doors. What a difference afterwards.....

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
User avatar
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!
Posts: 493
Location: On The Keyboard

Postby qwerty » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:24 pm

brianj42 wrote:
qwerty wrote:
seathrift wrote: It can also be, lack of incoming air to allow the air to rise in the flue.


God, its like telepathy or something, I was saying just this to the Mrs. the other day, I've got to install trickle vents next because I dont want the place too sealed up, a wood fire consumes a lot of air and that air has to be able to enter easily. I'm only part way through my renovation and still have more insulating to go.


We installed direct external air vents to the log fire and the pellet boiler after we realised that they were sucking in so much oxygen and therefore pulling in the cold outside air through the window and doors. What a difference afterwards.....


Sometimes mate it can be the simplest thing thats over looked :)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
User avatar
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!
Posts: 4532
Location: Near Karnobat

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:12 pm

qwerty wrote:
brianj42 wrote:
qwerty wrote:
seathrift wrote: It can also be, lack of incoming air to allow the air to rise in the flue.


God, its like telepathy or something, I was saying just this to the Mrs. the other day, I've got to install trickle vents next because I dont want the place too sealed up, a wood fire consumes a lot of air and that air has to be able to enter easily. I'm only part way through my renovation and still have more insulating to go.


We installed direct external air vents to the log fire and the pellet boiler after we realised that they were sucking in so much oxygen and therefore pulling in the cold outside air through the window and doors. What a difference afterwards.....


Sometimes mate it can be the simplest thing thats over looked :)


Yeap, as simple as opening a window or the outside door! :lol:

I was brought up on my Dad's favourite rant, 'put the wood in the hole, were you born in a barn'. :roll:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
User avatar
Slaphead
Pig Headed
Posts: 1940

Postby Slaphead » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:20 pm

[quote="brianj42"]
We installed direct external air vents to the log fire and the pellet boiler after we realised that they were sucking in so much oxygen and therefore pulling in the cold outside air through the window and doors. What a difference afterwards.....[/quote]

And that's one of this year's changes for us too. It's surprising how much increase in draught we feel around the lower legs when we open up all the fire vents.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
User avatar
Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!
Posts: 1175
Location: Rusalya , nr. Veliko Turnovo

Postby Hippyboy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:31 pm

This is a great thread , particularly as not much else is going on in winter , but we're all on a learning curve here , so advice & experience is more helpful than rocket science . In my experience all chimneys are affected by the weather (perhaps a really well designed one isn't , I've no experience) , and either wind from the wrong direction , or fog (whether is due to the moisture in the air or the atmospheric pressure I don't know) seem to cause problems with flues that normally draw OK/well . In my cottage this isn't due to a lack of inward ventilation (I have way too many drafts that I've yet to sort out ) , but nevertheless I usually find that the same cure as others use , opening the door , usually works quickly . Incidentally I had an Irish friend who sowed and built a perfect tepee , but when she sited it on a mountain in Portugal she could never get the smoke flaps to work correctly , and in the end it rotted because the fire wouldn't really burn properly (condensation rears its ugly head) . I grew up in a new build Wimpey house built in 1961 , and the condesation problem was awful right from the start , I rember my mum constantly 'mopping up' around the windows etc . From what I've read old houses need to able to 'breathe' so MW it could be that the Dulux is preventing this , but hopefully could be cured with some vents . Must finish cooking the dinner (got a bit distracted there ) Tim

PS . Thanks for the link Karenm , I'll check it out .

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mrmike

vents

Postby mrmike » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi mw many years ago when refurbishing houses i noticed a lot of houses with open fires with a sliding vent in the floor in front of the fire which you could open and close to increase the airflow to the fire seems to work ok also have you tried the spinning cowl you can fit on top of your stack stops the wind blowing back down the stack mike

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
User avatar
Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!
Posts: 1175
Location: Rusalya , nr. Veliko Turnovo

Postby Hippyboy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:20 pm

Mr Mike , I think that the spinning cowls that you mention probably should work really well , but they really don't fit (look good) on old chimneys (old houses) , and are probably not allowed in conservation areas . Tim .


Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests