I HATE the wood burning stove. Any alternatives please.

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:55 am

Hippyboy wrote:Mr Mike , I think that the spinning cowls that you mention probably should work really well , but they really don't fit (look good) on old chimneys (old houses) , and are probably not allowed in conservation areas . Tim .

I asked about these cowls and was told by my Bulgarian Heating Engineer/Plumber that they don't work very well, but I can't remember why not. Might be that they're noisy?

It would be interesting to hear the opinions of others if they have them fitted as what is their effectiveness?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Liliana

Postby Liliana » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:12 am

Moscow_Wolf wrote:[I asked about these cowls and was told by my Bulgarian Heating Engineer/Plumber that they don't work very well, but I can't remember why not. Might be that they're noisy?

It would be interesting to hear the opinions of others if they have them fitted as what is their effectiveness?

We had one last year and it was noisy even with the slightest breeze although apparently they work fine. Soon got rid of it though and changed it back to one of those 'silent' H ones :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:13 am

We had problems with chimney draw and added a cowl, haven't had a problem ever since. The more I hear about your heating maister MW the more I believe he hasn't been doing it long :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:24 am

Brian, what diameter of air intake pipe did you install near/under your wood burner to improve its efficiency...

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:29 am

brianj42 wrote:We had problems with chimney draw and added a cowl, haven't had a problem ever since. The more I hear about your heating maister MW the more I believe he hasn't been doing it long :wink:

Everybody wants to have a dig at my Bulgarian Heating Engineer/Plumber. :( He is fine, he worked in Israel so I guess he is more Solar orientated than wood burning stove. However, see Lilliana's post above yours. Not everyone likes the cowls for differing reasons. I'd rather read other folk's opinions before splashing the cash and finding out for myself.

Perhaps you don't get much wind where you live? We get strong North Easterlies to North West winds most of the time, (50 KPH now and again) and in April/May we tend to get winds from the East and the Black Sea (can smell the salt on the air). Rarely get southern or western winds and when we do, it is usually not wood burning stove season. I do take notice of the wind especially when wanting to light the stove and it changes my process of actually starting it. When the winds are high from the North, I'll add more fire lighters, paper, prep the chimney with some burning paper and get a small roaring fire as quickly as possible before adding logs. When there is little or next to no wind, I can build the fire as high as I want with dried sticks and it will suck in the air and burn up - no problem.

I will add a level or two to my chimney next year, (easy enough job) but if I am going to go down your Pellet Boiler route in the future then, there is not much point as that would be situated in the nearby boiler room/house where all the utilities are located.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:47 am

So.... I HATE the wood burning stove. Any alternatives please anyone?

:roll: 8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
karenm

Postby karenm » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:50 am

MOD wrote:So.... I HATE the wood burning stove. Any alternatives please anyone?

I was thinking that myself :-)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Sapper
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Sapper » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:53 am

We have had a big cowl on the chimney for six years, the fire draws well and there's not much smoke when we open the fire door unless you forget to open the damper first This winter though it is making a terrible noise, it sounds like rumbling thunder but is ok when there is no wind. My husband said it must be worn out, we will have to put up with the noise now until the weather improves it's too dangerous to be scaling a roof with all the snow and strong winds. He said he will have a look for a new one in the spring so they must be ok.
Going back to the electricity cut offs, we had a bad day last week when it went off and the UPS didn't cut in. There was a big panic on as the fire was well built up and blazing, the boiler sounded ominous, like it was ready to blow, very scary. The only thing to do is get the logs off quickly and kill the fire, not as easy as it sounds and the house was full of smoke. It turns out the battery for the UPS had gone flat, Jack charged it up when the lecky came back on (several hours later!) and it's working ok now. We do have some fun :D Pat

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Sapper
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Sapper » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:54 am

Sorry Mod, I had already posted. :oops:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:58 am

MOD wrote:So.... I HATE the wood burning stove. Any alternatives please anyone?

Dear Mr. MOD it all very well you trying to get us back on thread, but WE cannot agree on which ALTERNATIVE is best, which is the most cost effective, the cleanest the most effective or whether we should live in a house with full insulation or no windows and doors. We cannot agree whether it is Rocket Science or just wind and smoke. we don't know whether or not we should build stacks or chimneys with or without cowls or with ventilation shafts and pipes going through walls heating upstairs bedrooms or whatever.

Totally confused and my poor Bulgarian Heating Engineer is taking a bashing at every step.

Maybe YOU should tell us the ideal clean alternative heating system for your new dog box. :lol:

Interesting thread though even if it does wander like a river through a field. :wink:

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”