I HATE the wood burning stove. Any alternatives please.

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:40 am

As a previous poster wrote it the "Inverter" type of air con units and I've just found some gobldy gook to explaim how 1kw in = 3kw out

http://www.airconditioner.me.uk/Heat_Pumps.html

Dont understand it myself, its kinda like those ECOFANS that work from fresh air, until you see one working you just wont believe it!!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:46 am

As I understand it aircon units of the right type are the cheapest heaters to run because your electricity does not produce the heat, merely transfers it from outside to inside.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:46 am

Understanding a bit more now, inverter aircons take the warm air out of the cold air to add it to the cold air being heated :lol:

So it uses the equivalent of 1 bar electric fire but outputs a 4 bar electric fire, so my neighbour is correct then 1kw in = 4 kw out

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:49 am

gimlet wrote:As I understand it aircon units of the right type are the cheapest heaters to run because your electricity does not produce the heat, merely transfers it from outside to inside.

It defies logic but it does appear to be true, something to do with "Heat pumps"

So how can it take warm air from outside when its -20c I dont understand that part, anybody found any science to explain it?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:59 am

So 6 rooms at an average 4x4x2.5 @ 7,000 BTU a room @ £300 each = £1800 + electric costs.....

Would be interesting to know the running costs if some clever whizzkid can work it out as the install costs is probably less than installing a woodburner boiler and rads.

Electric costs versus gert heap of wood and all the hassle

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:19 am

Perhaps cheaper than you might think Brian......My neighbours have it set up like this, they have 1 unit in the downstairs hall and 1 unit in the upstairs hall, they simply leave the doors open or ajar for the heat to circulate, their downstairs is easily at 35c when I was last there.

So perhaps just 2 aircon units needed Brian...

Infact now I'm thinking about it, chicken food man has a small unit on the front of his house now and also does our chemists who had wood burner last winter.....If Bulgarians are doing it, it must be the way forward!!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
BG9374

Postby BG9374 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:13 am

Not keen on installation of wood burning stove, and a huge hole to the sky, cannot grasp that such could be economical within heat retention and heat radiance.

USed storage heating and found that air becomes very dry and also don't sleep too well, maybe the thought of 2.5kw burning away only find mid afternoon a cold house, teh waste of money perhaps too much.

Gas central heating is wonderful, but yet to buy house BG, only lands at the moment, doubt have funds to purchase lpg, the tank etc requirement.

Back to biobass, although yet to experience this form of fuel, appreciate still require a chimmey and hope perhaps the economy of the unit be better.

Is the wind turbine, solar panels, ground heat pumps, digital storage heaters run from 13amp socket, air heat exchangers, solar heat collectors for hot water, seen one unit claim extract heat at minus forty. Plenty of alternatives out there. Are they for saving pennies?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:27 am

35 deg C is 95 deg F :o

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:29 am

BG9374 wrote:
Back to biobass, although yet to experience this form of fuel, appreciate still require a chimmey and hope perhaps the economy of the unit be better.

If it helps, you don't need a chimney for a Biomass system, you can go horizontal exhaust and the exhaust can be as little as 3".

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Samche

Postby Samche » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:43 am

Bulgargaz announce yesterday plans for an almost 18% increase in prices. I much prefer my wood burning stoves. The chimney is not a hole to the sky- okay so some heat is lots but we have a long flue with and additional 'heat exchanger' part way up to draw out as much as we can. Not sure I would want to reclaim the rest of the heat lost up the chimney- at the moment when the stove is on it is T-shirt weather inside. My mother always had central heating- which always seemed to mean some rooms being too hot and others too cold. It was always expensive- an expense I could not afford now.

The added benefit of the wood burning stove is that we have fresh bread and a slow cooked stew each day in winter and ash I can use on the vegetable garden. All this for 3 or 4 hundred leva of wood bought once a year. I also know that it is carbon neutral- which to me is also important.

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”