I HATE the wood burning stove. Any alternatives please.

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:56 am

Agree with Samche. With fossil fuels ever on the increase and will never reduce, in fact as they start to run out (which they will) you can expect price hikes through the roof. Remember, an 18% increase this year means that over ONLY 6 years its a 200% increase !!!! Your 200lvs a month bill will be 600lvs in 6 years.

I saw a 50 acre forest for sale the other day really cheap. By my estimate and with clever woodsmanship and proper management there's enough winter fuel for about 200 years and still not make a dent in the forest :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:31 am

brianj42 wrote:Agree with Samche. With fossil fuels ever on the increase and will never reduce, in fact as they start to run out (which they will) you can expect price hikes through the roof. Remember, an 18% increase this year means that over ONLY 6 years its a 200% increase !!!! Your 200lvs a month bill will be 600lvs in 6 years.

I saw a 50 acre forest for sale the other day really cheap. By my estimate and with clever woodsmanship and proper management there's enough winter fuel for about 200 years and still not make a dent in the forest :wink:

Forrestering/coppicing got to be the way forward - unfortunately many forests in Bulgaria are plundered and not managed and it will be too late by the time any sensible legislation is brought in let alone adhered to .....

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:15 am

I've booked myself on a 6 week Forest Management and Arborist course in the UK as I see a lot of potential/help in the future with forests. Free fuel as well can't be bad. I just need to suss out the "getting electric from wood" thing and I've cracked it. :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Samche

Postby Samche » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:24 am

I am still confused by the whole extracting heat from sub zero air outside the house to heat a house which is already warmer than the outside. Does this not defy Newton's Laws somehow? 8O

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:32 pm

brianj42 wrote:I've booked myself on a 6 week Forest Management and Arborist course in the UK as I see a lot of potential/help in the future with forests. Free fuel as well can't be bad. I just need to suss out the "getting electric from wood" thing and I've cracked it. :wink:

I cannot afford to spend 6 weeks in the UK together with the price of the course, BUT it'd be worth a good drink to get a copy of course notes! :wink:

Moscow 'Cheeky Sod' Wolf.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:05 pm

brianj42 wrote:I've booked myself on a 6 week Forest Management and Arborist course in the UK as I see a lot of potential/help in the future with forests. Free fuel as well can't be bad. I just need to suss out the "getting electric from wood" thing and I've cracked it. :wink:

http://www.woodgasifiers.com/

http://gekgasifier.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Catalog_092011.pdf

:wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:55 pm

MW I'll send you the course details with pleasure. No skin off my nose as they say.

Owain, thanks for that. Evening reading me thinks.

I really would like to get something to generate electric from wood as that is now the only thing stopping me going off grid totally

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:19 pm

Do they teach you hedge laying? I need a hedge laid.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:38 pm

brianj42 wrote:Agree with Samche. With fossil fuels ever on the increase and will never reduce, in fact as they start to run out (which they will) you can expect price hikes through the roof. Remember, an 18% increase this year means that over ONLY 6 years its a 200% increase !!!! Your 200lvs a month bill will be 600lvs in 6 years.

Brian, I do believe that I read some time ago on one of my hippie sites that 1 acre of land coppiced annually will produce 12 tons of wood.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Samche

Postby Samche » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:49 pm

Mat wrote:Do they teach you hedge laying? I need a hedge laid.

It's really not that difficult and can be taught to any novice volunteer with BTCV in a few minutes.

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”