I HATE the wood burning stove. Any alternatives please.

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:45 pm

thanks seathrift - it was Cameo who first brought this up and i have responded as the thread seems to have got list in discussion about aircon units hot and cold - hope she reads this

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:53 pm

bigbulg wrote:
peterpiper wrote:The Inverter air con units are efficient in producing heat but the big drawback is once the temp drops to under -5C then they don't produce heat as there isn't any in the air to extract.

I dont think thats quite accurate, the gas in the aircon is around -25'c so there is heat to be obsorbed, albeit cold, My aircon stops being efficient at -15'c not -5'c. I've had them producing heat well below freezing no problems.

Thats very interesting, -15 efficiency would see you through the majority of the winter.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
steph-dom

Postby steph-dom » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:15 pm

i have aircon but you need to buy an A rated system or your leccy bils will be pretty high.
in winter i have a portable gas fire and costs 25 lev a month to run even in the extreme cold.
the good thing is i can move it from room to room as and when needed.
i also have the TESY convector wall heaters but the portable gas fire is the best by far.

the other option would be a bottled gas central heating system if you dont have mains gas. its 2500 to set up and cost 20 lev a week if your a cold arse.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
racheleb2009
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby racheleb2009 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:21 pm

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:29 pm

steph-dom wrote:the other option would be a bottled gas central heating system if you dont have mains gas. its 2500 to set up and cost 20 lev a week if your a cold arse.

Steph

I would be interested to know how you get away with spending 20lvs a week on a bottled fed LPG central heating system ? We ran our central heating system in France off bottles and went through a 47kg bottle every 4 days in winter. Thats 91 litres every 4 days so 630ltrs a month.........

You're saying you can run a central heating system on 80ltrs a month ?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
steph-dom

Postby steph-dom » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:40 pm

brianj42 wrote:
steph-dom wrote:the other option would be a bottled gas central heating system if you dont have mains gas. its 2500 to set up and cost 20 lev a week if your a cold arse.

Steph

I would be interested to know how you get away with spending 20lvs a week on a bottled fed LPG central heating system ? We ran our central heating system in France off bottles and went through a 47kg bottle every 4 days in winter. Thats 91 litres every 4 days so 630ltrs a month.........

set your timers correctly and turn off the radiators in the rooms you dont use during the day/night.
why heat the full house at once, its not necessary. the easier way is to have your installer put in a switch over valve on a timer so it heats the living area in the day and your bedrooms at night.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:42 pm

steph-dom wrote:i have aircon but you need to buy an A rated system or your leccy bils will be pretty high.
in winter i have a portable gas fire and costs 25 lev a month to run even in the extreme cold.
i also have the TESY convector wall heaters but the portable gas fire is the best by far.

the other option would be a bottled gas central heating system if you dont have mains gas. its 2500 to set up and cost 20 lev a week if your a cold arse.

Hi steph,

We used portable Gas fires in Turkey but at 50lira (20 quid) a bottle and the bottles only lasting a couple of days found it very expensive to run.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
steph-dom

Postby steph-dom » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:55 pm

qwerty wrote:
steph-dom wrote:i have aircon but you need to buy an A rated system or your leccy bils will be pretty high.

Hi steph,

We used portable Gas fires in Turkey but at 50lira (20 quid) a bottle and the bottles only lasting a couple of days found it very expensive to run.

mine cost 25 lev to fill a month and its on constantly except when i go to sleep. heat the room on 3 bars then turn it down to 1 bar and it stays warm all night. my house is double insulated so that helps too.

in the winter months i sleep on a duvet on top of the matress as well as one covering me. fold back the duvet so the heat gets to your bed before you get in it. its very toasty lol

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bulldoggeorge
<b>Property Sales/Rentals</b>

Postby bulldoggeorge » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:52 pm

qwerty wrote:
bigbulg wrote:
peterpiper wrote:The Inverter air con units are efficient in producing heat but the big drawback is once the temp drops to under -5C then they don't produce heat as there isn't any in the air to extract.

I dont think thats quite accurate, the gas in the aircon is around -25'c so there is heat to be obsorbed, albeit cold, My aircon stops being efficient at -15'c not -5'c. I've had them producing heat well below freezing no problems.

Thats very interesting, -15 efficiency would see you through the majority of the winter.

There is no reason that a well designed and constructed air conditioning system should not work fairly well with the outside temeratures down to -20 deg. Its all about the efficiency of the individual unit, well balanced evaporators and condensers and compressor horsepower "HP".
Mitsubisi make excellent units and like their cars can get very high HP outputs from their motors with reliable electronic controls, I would say it is one of the cleanest most economical forms of heating.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:17 pm

bulldoggeorge wrote:
qwerty wrote:
bigbulg wrote:

There is no reason that a well designed and constructed air conditioning system should not work fairly well with the outside temeratures down to -20 deg. Its all about the efficiency of the individual unit, well balanced evaporators and condensers and compressor horsepower "HP".
Mitsubisi make excellent units and like their cars can get very high HP outputs from their motors with reliable electronic controls, I would say it is one of the cleanest most economical forms of heating.

I have to agree with you Buldog, the more that information is coming in to this thread on aircon heating the better it looks.

So take an average wood fired central heating system here in Bg, all the owners tell me they go through about 20m3 wood, so say 50lev per cube = 1000lev to heat your home through winter.

How would 1 or 2 well placed aircon units compete with 1000lev??

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”