buying and feeding a donkey, Yambol /Elhovo

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mickw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mickw » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:31 pm

Rosa, your right it is Alfalfa, but I haven't met any Bulgarian villagers that know it by this name and wouldn't get many bales asking for Alfalfa, Hay or Straw.

Mick

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Rosa
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Rosa » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:44 pm

mickw wrote:Rosa, your right it is Alfalfa, but I haven't met any Bulgarian villagers that know it by this name and wouldn't get many bales asking for Alfalfa, Hay or Straw.

Mick

What? Sorry, I'm not with you there. Why would you ask for these things in English when speaking in Bulgarian to a Bulgarian? Why would you not say люцерна? And correspondingly say alfalfa when you are speaking in English?

Rosa :?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:27 pm

Can we get back to the subject matter now please. Posts picking up on spelling, grammar and other idiosyncracies, although laudable, are not helping others to obtain the information they wish to know.

Thanks. Mod 8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
elaine48
Super User!
Super User!

Postby elaine48 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:15 pm

Well done MOD!
I ask for SLAMMA (straw or bedding I assume), CENO (hay) or LUTZERNE (lucerne (Alfalfa is American I think and I am English, anyway everyone understands me. Straw is about 60 stotinki up to 1 leva. Be careful of what they call BIAL TREVOR(white grass!!) I think it may be long oat straw but can't tell. Anyway all the neighbours warned me this is very bad for horses and can kill them, not sure about donkeys tho.
KOVACH is the local farrier and KOOSHOOM GHEEA (it sounds like it anyway) is a harness maker.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Cameo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Cameo » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:25 pm

Good luck Babs. Fingers crossed for you that you get the donkey over to yours in the morning, and give it a few good years of life living in total luxury. Its probably had a hard life, so being pampered for its remaining years would be wonderful for it.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:31 pm

Well, done to you for taking this little donkey in. :lol: I think it's a wonderful story, and if you need any further info with regard to donkeys, go to www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk. They have loads of information that you can download, and are a fantastic organisation. Good luck to you! Ann. :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tinkerbb2
Super User!
Super User!

donkey

Postby tinkerbb2 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:55 pm

Thanks for your encouragement, I am being warned about the pitfalls, costs,vets, farrier etc and she is a bit of a cow, not a sweet little thing but
I feel I cannot turn away. Will let you know how I get on tomorrow.
Found a harness maker /leather worker,in Elhovo today;opposite the vet by the bridge,
a little street and it's house no 3, there is a sign outside, looks like a normal house but there is a workshop at the back works mostly with harness and tack but they were making and repairing
other leather things as well , If anybody needs more explicit directions please pm me

babs

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
elaine48
Super User!
Super User!

Postby elaine48 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:31 am

Hi Babs
Thinking of you today. Hope all goes well with the donkey purchase. She may be a real cow at the moment but it is amazing what some TLC will do. My old boy was evil at the start, but with harness growing into his head and old, untreated wounds, can anyone blame him. Before many weeks he was a delight, always cheeky but a loving clown.
Elaine

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tinkerbb2
Super User!
Super User!

donkey

Postby tinkerbb2 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:30 am

Well Sapka is now mine, did a deal which included her old bridle, complete with barbed wire around the noseband, they have had her for more than 20 years and she has had 5 foals.
She will now be retired and her old scabs given chance to heal,eventually we
will fence our field and she will be able to run free. Can you get electric
fencing here ?
When I went for her this morning she recognised my voice and started braying, message there I think
Thanks to you all for advice and good wishes
babs

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:45 pm

Fantastic, Babs. Sounds like you are off to a great start, so well done you! :lol: Please do keep us updated?

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”