Street Lighting - Lack Of

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Street Lighting - Lack Of

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:16 pm

I did a search on Street Lighting and Street Lamps, but it didn't throw up a specific thread, but numerous ones where it might be mentioned in another long thread so, I'm taking the risk and starting a new thread.

My question for you seasoned Expatriates living in villages dotted around Bulgaria, what is the correct procedure for requesting a street lamp outside your house and is via your Village Major, your Electricity supplier or, do you just find someone to rig one up for you?

My circumstances are that I am the very last house in my part of the village where I live, My nearest neighbour is probably some 200 or more metres away from me as the crow flies and where the last Street Lamp is situated.

I have a large concrete post outside of my house where my electricity supply is carried, but there is no sign of a street lamp ever being fixed to it. On Moonless or cloudy nights, it is pitch black in front of my house and I do not see why I should provide my own outside light if the 'municipality' is supposed too.

Many thanks in advance for useful advice.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
walkage
Super User!
Super User!

Postby walkage » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:31 pm

WELL..M-W - You don't half complain and being married to a Russian woman - Ruskina - you should n=kn ow the rules..

First approach the Mayor - we did in the exact situation as you - the only thing past our house is the cemetary...you know Dead and Dark..BUT we asked nicely -- if possible.. etc... and then... a new light ...however it plays havoc with my star whatching at night - so what is best...
Soooo a few bottles of plonk to the Mayor and you will be bathed in light..

ASK!! -- forget your Russian experiences - Taxi driver etc - I will reply.. to that...

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scotcouple
<b>Property Management/Sales</b>

Postby scotcouple » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:10 pm

We are on a corner near the end of our village and our lights are not that great but at least they work.
But for extra lighting we found the motion detector security lights to be the best for back up lights. They only come on when needed so no glaring light on all the time perfect for star watching lol

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:15 pm

Good luck with the lighting issue. We are lucky to have a street light right out side our house, it lights up the garden wonderfully. it stays on all night and goes off at 7.10 am in the winter and 6.00am in summer.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
walkage
Super User!
Super User!

Postby walkage » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi Scotcouple and
fredatinsch

Good threads and we also have security lighting etc - but don't you find street lightning is great but it just takes away the awesome view of the sky at night..??
Not sure what I prefer.....

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Villyman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Villyman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:41 pm

Our mayor sorted out a street light for us as we were the last occupied house on the street. It also helped that she owns the next unoccupied house further along where she keeps her bees.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:14 pm

Villyman wrote: It also helped that she owns the next unoccupied house further along where she keeps her bees.

Is that so they can see who they're stinging at night. :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Villyman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Villyman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:54 pm

Not me, I have the famous Bulgarian invisibility cloak, normally seen at road junctions when you pull out and they just ignore you :oops: :lol: :D :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mandyjeancole
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mandyjeancole » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Our Mayor at the 3rd time of asking in 2 years has done absolutely nothing about our lighting, but then again he has done nothing about anything,not sure what he is doing in the job really because he is absolutely useless. MJC

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bphirst50
Super User!
Super User!

Postby bphirst50 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:25 pm

she prob a slave driver and wants them to work all night, the bees I mean :lol:

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”