Street Lighting - Lack Of

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:29 pm

mandyjeancole wrote:Our Mayor at the 3rd time of asking in 2 years has done absolutely nothing about our lighting, but then again he has done nothing about anything,not sure what he is doing in the job really because he is absolutely useless. MJC

Well, you did vote Red Ken out, so its your own fault. :lol:

scasparz
Super User!
Super User!

Postby scasparz » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:01 am

In my country, given that your property sits on municipality land, it is the responsibility of the municipality to provide you with the necessary street lights, one every fifty metres. Do not know if this stands true for BG, you should ask your mayor and see if it works. Anyway, this would be my plan A.

In case plan A does not work, perhaps a more practical approach is to add a few lights inside your fence, at your own expense, powered by your own electricity, looking towards say those two hundred meters and try cope with the issue as best as you can manage. A combination of time switches/motion detectors could help cost-wise. This would be my plan B.

Alternatively you could attempt to partly finance the electoral cause of your local mayor, as you are clearly impressed by his efforts to improve the quality of life within your village, not only for the locals but for those alien British inhabitants as well and let him take care of the issue within a day or two. It is amazing how efficient civil servants can be, when you provide them with the proper motive. In my country I would expect to offer him between 300 to 500 Euro, for BG it could be in something in Lev. I would pay in two equal instalments, one before the job is done and and one after. This would also cover the motive for connecting my property to the village water supply network, a bit more convenient than a borehole. Of course this covers motivational aspects only, any additional charges required by the law should be paid separately and fully. This is absolutely legal not to mention it could also be tax exemptible.

Do not know the possibility of success, as the BG approach on behalf of the mayor could well be to accept the first instalment and do nothing for you in exchange. It should definitely work in Greece however, mayors here are known to be of the highest integrity, actually we have a word for this, it is γρηγορόσημο, which roughly translated in English would be something like 'paying for a speed-stamp', in the sense it accelerates things. Surprisingly it regards a stamp you will never see in material form.

cheers mates

fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:07 am

Hi Walkage - when I say it lights up the garden, the street light is not like a brilliant security light. Just enough to keep us secure, let people in the lane see where they are heading and we still get to see the beautiful stars.
I don't think in all my life I have ever lived somewhere and been able to see so much sky and certainly would not like it impeded by street lights.

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:00 am

scasparz wrote:In my country, given that your property sits on municipality land, it is the responsibility of the municipality to provide you with the necessary street lights, one every fifty metres. Do not know if this stands true for BG, you should ask your mayor and see if it works. Anyway, this would be my plan A.

In case plan A does not work, perhaps a more practical approach is to add a few lights inside your fence, at your own expense, powered by your own electricity, looking towards say those two hundred meters and try cope with the issue as best as you can manage. A combination of time switches/motion detectors could help cost-wise. This would be my plan B.

Alternatively you could attempt to partly finance the electoral cause of your local mayor, as you are clearly impressed by his efforts to improve the quality of life within your village, not only for the locals but for those alien British inhabitants as well and let him take care of the issue within a day or two. It is amazing how efficient civil servants can be, when you provide them with the proper motive. In my country I would expect to offer him between 300 to 500 Euro, for BG it could be in something in Lev. I would pay in two equal instalments, one before the job is done and and one after. This would also cover the motive for connecting my property to the village water supply network, a bit more convenient than a borehole. Of course this covers motivational aspects only, any additional charges required by the law should be paid separately and fully. This is absolutely legal not to mention it could also be tax exemptible.

Do not know the possibility of success, as the BG approach on behalf of the mayor could well be to accept the first instalment and do nothing for you in exchange. It should definitely work in Greece however, mayors here are known to be of the highest integrity, actually we have a word for this, it is γρηγορόσημο, which roughly translated in English would be something like 'paying for a speed-stamp', in the sense it accelerates things. Surprisingly it regards a stamp you will never see in material form.

cheers mates

There is another option although I have only heard about them. Street lights that are charged by solar and a little wind turbine to give enough power to run them through the night.

scasparz
Super User!
Super User!

Postby scasparz » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:05 pm

Moscow_Wolf it is my understanding you have to find a means to provide some light on a two hundred metres long passageway. If you place your lights on your street, then obviously you risk them been stolen. IMO it is your property -or at least behind your fence- that these lights have to be placed, so they better be strong. They shouldn't be too strong however, as to blind coming drivers potentially causing accidents.

At least those solar lights I have seen here are too dim for practical purposes. While they produce some light, they fail to en-light their surrounding environment. In this sense they are just better than nothing.

AFAIK solar powered lights need some kind of a battery to store the electricity produced from the sun. Most such batteries are capable of being recharged a specific number of times, in theory about a thousand, in real life about five hundred times, with their storing capacity deteriorating somewhat after every charge. After that they just die completely and have to be replaced, which adds to the costs. Ni-Cd batteries are known to be prone to the memory effect issue, while Li-Ion or Ni-Mh types are free from this problem, at a cost. Some turn to polluters after the end of their life-cycle and have to be disposed carefully.

As for wind powered lights, I have not seen any. I would expect you to mean one small wind turbine, producing up to 400 or 500 Watts, which is not bad for lights, particularly if they are of the energy conserving type. But what when wind fails to blow during those night hours you need them? I presume you should have an alternative back-up energy provider.

Am supporting this eco-friendly approach, yet I am afraid the relevant technologies still need to be refined for the purpose, with accumulators currently being the weak link.

cheers mate

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:24 pm

No, you misunderstood slightly, MY HOUSE is situated circa 200 metres away from the last Street Lamp, so I get no benefit from it whatsoever only that I can see it in the distance.

I have one usual Bulgarian high concrete post that carries my electricity supply outside the North side of my house where a street lamp could easily be placed and connected and in my opinion, should be provided by the Municipality.

Any other area illumination of my internal property area is my responsibility and I already have some halogen flood lighting and I will place some other forms of area illumination as the renovation proceeds.

The wind/solar street lamps I refer too, are apparently used in China, but I cannot remember where I heard or read about them. I saw similar here in BG high up on a hilltop that was a transmitter tower and the power was supplied by a SHELL solar/wind turbine so, I guess anything is possible if you need small amounts of power in totally remote areas. I would imagine that in countries where there is sufficient ambient light and wind, most City street lamps will become such in the future.

mazzabul

Postby mazzabul » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:39 am

mandyjeancole wrote:Our Mayor at the 3rd time of asking in 2 years has done absolutely nothing about our lighting, but then again he has done nothing about anything,not sure what he is doing in the job really because he is absolutely useless. MJC

If I didn't know better I would say you live in my village. Our Mayor sounds just like yours.
I wonder if all you ex pats out there would help me in my own little survey? Could you please take a little time to tell me how long your village street lights stay on at night. Ours come on around 6.30 pm and go off at around 8.00PM Note not AM but PM the same evening. 11/2 hours illumination. I don,t drive and our mobile signal is very weak and my worry is What if my husband is taken ill and I cannot raise my uk friends or an ambulance by mobile, then I would somehow have to find my way across the village on foot to seek help. I too live in the last house in the village. You all know how black it is here without light.
I need this info so I have some examples to give our Mayor. My only other way of getting this info would be for my husband to drive round the villages in the middle of the night to see how long other village lights stay on. I think it is assumed that after 8pm all life ceases
Thanks in advance for your help

Liliana

Postby Liliana » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:53 am

At the moment ours come on at about 6.30 pm and go off at exactly 6.00 am. Not sure about the summer months as we don't notice the same I suppose.

Hope that helps.

parkersd
Super User!
Super User!

Postby parkersd » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:12 am

We recently had a street light fitted to the concrete post outside our gate...and the engineers aimed it at our hardstand which we were very impressed with. It comes on just after dark and stays on till way past midnight so we'll be okay if we have a late night out :lol: 2 more have also been fitted further down the lane so I'd better not moan about our Mayor,although it's the first thing he's got done in the 3 1/2 years we've been here

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:19 am

Since our the mains electricity cable was stolen from my road which was repaired by EVN within 8 hours, my street lamp and the neighbouring two have NOT worked. As I have said in previous posts, my house is right out on a limb and the street lamp is very much appreciated.

Our Mayoress seems to get things done and when I told her that I (and others) did not have their street lights working she said she knew and had reported it. This was over 6 weeks ago at a rough guess.

I put the blame on our Electricity supplier and in usual Moscow fashion let rip at EVN HQ in Plovdiv who surprisingly enough, did reply and said they would investigate the problem. A week later, EVN contacted me again and informed me that it was NOT their responsibility as they only reacted to requests from the local Municipality or words to that effect.

With the recently completed Census our Mayoress was too busy, but now it is time for me to go and ask her to whom she reports incidents of non-working street lamps in Karnobat so that I can go down there and let rip again.

Now, I know this is not Western Europe and that I only pay extremely small taxes for such services as street lighting and wheelie bins etc. (what else did the Romans ever do for us etc.) however, I bet the Mayor of Karnobat has all his street lights working and as far as I can understand, street lighting is something that I am entitled too. Now, I had to wait over 6 months to get a street lamp when I first arrived at this location as the house and not been lived in for many years and I do not intend, if I can help it, to wait another 6 months for some bureaucrat to sign off the order for EVN to reconnect 3-4 street lamps in our street.

I suppose if someone tripped and broke a bone out there on my mud track in the dark then, the authorities would turn a blind eye to any claims. Unfortunately, as I have found with EVN that if you don't rock the boat now and again, you get left behind in this country, but before dishing out the hard time, it is very useful to know what you're entitled too, if anything in this wonderful county.

Off to Soap Box now. :lol:

Ps. to answer Mazabull's question. Since my street lamp was brand new when installed last year, it is a photosensitive one; just like my solar lighting, it comes on at dusk and goes off at sunrise. Well, it does when it is working. :roll:

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”