Street Lighting - Lack Of

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
lyn
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby lyn » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:59 pm

Ours come on at 7pm and go off at 8pm. I don't know why they bother putting them on in the first place. :cry: Our mayor is completely useless too BTW. :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Liliana

Postby Liliana » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Moscow_Wolf wrote:Since our the mains electricity cable was stolen

Our electricity cable was not stolen on Saturday evening but the pump at the main water station!

About 6pm Saturday evening the water started to dribble so off I went and filled the kettle etc. thinking it was another glitch.

Yesterday, at 2pm still no water which was frustrating to say the least. Next thing a local Bulgarian friend came to tell us gypsies had stolen a 2 tonne pump from the main water station hacking through the electrical cable with an axe (!) and that the water should be back on by 6pm, which it was, but the pressure is cr@p!

We also have an unused TV cable which has lain dormant for over 4 years and noticed the other day that has been severed also!

Makes you wonder why...? :wink:

BTW we have been told that this stolen pump can be sold as 'scrap' at 10 leva per kilo which amounts to 20,000 leva.. 8O :roll:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
oldtimer
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby oldtimer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:20 pm

Well they did not walk off with that hidden in there coat :? cables worth any money at the moment do seem to be going on a walk about.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Liliana

Postby Liliana » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:14 pm

oldtimer wrote:Well they did not walk off with that hidden in there coat :?

Exactly my thoughts... must be at least a little sofisticated :lol: :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:32 pm

We're only slightly On Topic due to the fact that 'they' cut the electricity cable with an axe feeding the water pump so, I'm not sure how far Mr. or Mrs MOD will allow me to wander on this one. (looks over shoulder). :roll:

It is always the Gypsies that get the blame is it not! TWO ton, that is some lift and not sure that you will see your Gypsies towing that on a rickety trailer behind a LADA. That is calculated and planned by folk with some strong backs and in the knowledge that all the local Police will be checking the Scrap yards on the lookout.

I guess they could cut it up or it has been stolen to order. I'm safe until someone notices the new 100 foot high fountain I have coming from the stream at the bottom of my garden. :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
charlieboy

Postby charlieboy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:12 pm

An interesting post as we have no problems in our village so having time to spare I decided to see if this was a Bulgarian tradition. It appears as it is not as this is just a very small selection I found within minutes of checking the Uk. I am not sure if this is correct to post here.

====
Copper cable theft on UK railways
With copper thefts costing rail systems a rumoured £770m a year, it is reported that the only higher priority for the British Transport Police is terrorism and as such it is evident that their noted efforts are only likely to increase.
------------------------------------------------------------
Motorists' lives were put at risk by thieves who cut down an 11,000 volt electricity pole in an attempt to steal copper, a power company said.
The overhead lines across the M62 at junction 30, Rothwell, were cut down overnight.
The sliproad has been closed and police cars are slowing traffic on the motorway until the lines can be moved.
---------------------------------------------
CE Electric said they had dealt with 123 metal thefts in Yorkshire since January.
Hundreds of meters of copper cable were stolen in the North Lincolnshire village of Winteringham earlier this month, BT has said.
------------------------

According to the telco, the theft of more than 330 meters of copper occurred late on the evening of 15 September, and phone and broadband services were restored to local residents within two days. BT said in a statement that engineers had "worked round the clock" to replace and re-joint the cable.
-----------------------------------
More than 600 metres of copper cable was stolen from a village near Diss. Police are appealing for information following the theft that happened at Scole Road, Brockdish, close to the junction with the A143, between the early hours of Saturday, March 5, and the evening of Sunday, March 6.

----------------

It would seem the odd street cable or 1 water pump is small fry compared to what is going on in the UK. Maybe the Policy of open borders is a new road for opportunists.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:47 pm

I sit with baited breath waiting for it to get dark as I THINK they have finally after some months, actually got around to repairing the street lamps! As long as some other thief don't half inch the cables again, we might have a summer with a street light; exactly the time when I don't actually need it as I fell down all the potholes during the winter. :roll:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
dje

Postby dje » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Our street lights are currently on from 7PM until 1AM - In a village where the average age is 65+ the 1 AM bit really is not neccessary. Then in the middle of summer when more youngsters are around they go off at 11PM :?

One light is also positioned so it shines right into my new bedroom window. I like to see the starts at night not a yellow glow. :(

Just can't please everyone - I have too much light at night.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
grasshopper

street lighting

Postby grasshopper » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:20 pm

we have lovely new street lights in our village SVETLINA ( which means light) but lack of it at night because the bulbs have failed, 2 years i have plagued our mayor ( kmet) and she just laughs and shakes her head and spits those sunflower husks at me and nothing happens. This is Bulgaria.
grasshopper

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
oldtimer
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby oldtimer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Our road has one that just goes off and on when its pleases. come on folks this is Bulgaria does it really matter, :lol: thought we left all the moans and groans and all that goes with a stressful life back in the UK, or wherever you come from. Does it matter if the light comes on or not, for what we pay for Municipal tax lets stop moaning.

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”