Donkey manure

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bev
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Donkey manure

Postby bev » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:50 pm

Have done a search but can't seem to find the answer - why do the bulgarians dispose/burn their donkey manure? Like many others I'm sure, my garden needs lots of TLC and lots of "compost" why can't I use my neighbours donkey poo? Well rotted of course!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:55 pm

have you asked them for any of it?

i have had the same thought as you but for growing mushrooms, unfortunately i don't have a trailer to move it, and don't fancy just chucking it in the back of the car :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:11 pm

They do not use it because the main diet is weeds whose seeds they do not want spread all over the garden

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:17 pm

This thread stinks of poo. :lol:

Wish I knew the answer, but probably for the same reasons they throw their garden waste and used straw into dustbins or illegal dumping areas around the village instead of composting it.

I can only guess that this kind of naturally rotting vegetation and 'poo' must attract some kind of harmful bacteria or bugs that do more damage than the compost.

Another Bulgarian Mystery for now anyway.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
PiemanBG

Postby PiemanBG » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:34 pm

Cows, donkeys, horses, sheet goats etc produce very acidic urine, so you have to leave it for a year to wash out before you can use the manure.

Rabbits manure on the other hand, you only have to dry it, so can use it almost immediately.

Not to mention the weeds, but I am not that sure if that is the real reason, as I have used it and weed the garden and it seems no less weedy than if you don’t use manure.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MOONLIGHT

Postby MOONLIGHT » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:35 pm

Donkey manure, if composted , will be fine.
The heat produced during the process will kill any weedy seeds in it.
shovel away!

ps. is it your birthday MW ?

Regards (and coloured balloons if necessary)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bev
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby bev » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:11 pm

Thanks one & all, no probs getting access to it my neighbour chucks his out every morning, just didn't know why. Decided to have a rest from veggies this year and concentrate on the lawn - ha ha - so perhaps I'll give the poo a chance for next year.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mickw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mickw » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:41 pm

Bulgarians do not Worm their animals and the Manure is full of them.

Mick

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
silky4015

Postby silky4015 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:46 pm

bev wrote:Thanks one & all, no probs getting access to it my neighbour chucks his out every morning, just didn't know why. Decided to have a rest from veggies this year and concentrate on the lawn - ha ha - so perhaps I'll give the poo a chance for next year.

Collect now and give 12 months to rot down.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:03 am

mickw wrote:Bulgarians do not Worm their animals and the Manure is full of them.

Mick

Is that good or bad for compost? Not knowing much about these parasites, but I assume that they can only be transferred to other animals (dogs perhaps) that go sniffing about or ingesting them, otherwise, another assumption is that they would be eaten by birds, other insects or simply die off without a host.

Would it be safer (safer) if the manure (I nearly wrote Man U then), was kept in an enclosed composting area? Any further ideas?

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”