How many clothes do you wear indoors?

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:59 am

insulation, insulation, insulation

space is a good 'therm'

and leave a cold space in the roof - breathable roofing felt is worth its weight in gold - but put at least 30cms of fluffed up fibreglass insulation in the floor of the loft - the more it's fluffed up the better it will work.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:53 am

I wear in the house, undies, thermal vest, long sleeve thick T shirt, jeans and slippers, Now Fullstop, bless him, long johns, thermal vest, Thick long sleeve T shirt, Jumper and body warmer, tracksuit bottoms, his socks bulgarian socks and slippers, and he is still cold!! I tell him move about a bit, get the hoover out, have another cup of tea.

I have a thermostat, that was given out free by SCARF and Aberdeen City Council. The livingroom, where he spends most of his time goes from 18-21, it says Comfortable do not adjust your heat.
I would think what you wear to keep warm would depend on age, we all know lots of thin layers are better than one thick, warm drinks and small meals during the day also help.

I burn a bottle of gas a week for extra living room heating costs 27 lev a time and used 530 lev of electric for heating and hot water and domestic appliance during December. I expect another large Bill for January, then it reduces.

I have noticed that pulling down the blinds and closing curtains late afternoon makes the rooms comfortable for the rest of the evening.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
markie1969
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby markie1969 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:03 am

Downstairs gets baking hot!!!! So we just wear tshirts n joggers even before the fire is lit! The pipe from our stove wraps itself along the wall to the chimney as we wanted the fire in the centre of the house. This means that the pipes kind of act as a radiator and so heat the rooms up even more!!!! Bit of a problem wen im doing the washing up tho i end up sweating like a pig!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Norman-D-Beeches
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Norman-D-Beeches » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:13 am

good grief!

what's going on here? i really can't believe what i've just read. so many people who seem to see some sort of virtue in living in penury. what the hell is wrong with you? we certainly didn't come to BG to live a 'hard' life. quite the reverse, in fact, so if spending a couple of hundred extra leva each year and feeling comfortable is beyond you, you might as well be back in the UK.

me? i'm with the weeton, all the way: i want ease and comfort all year, so no matter what the time of year, you will always find me in shorts and Tshirt, except in summer when i lose the shirt. i take great pleasure from watching, as i am at this minute, snow, driving past the window on an icy wind. and if i start to feel a little chilly, i'll toss a few more logs on the fire. whyever not?

so all of you tightwads out there, i hope you enjoy your lunchtime gruel. living the life of ebeneezer scrooge must give you satisfaction, and i'm sure you get to the end of each, uncomfortable, day feeling very virtuous, but to me it sounds like living hell!

warm norm. :smt098

PS.
just noticed our purple-leafed shamrock has a few flowers on it. how sweet, and much nicer than icicles, any day.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:26 am

we burn around 1 cubic per month in a 12kw woodburner which heats an 80sqm house. it's a new build made from ytong with external insulation and good loft insulation, generally the temp ia around 25C, wearing nothing more than a t-shirt and shorts (unless we go outside of course :D )

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:57 am

spantrout wrote:we burn around 1 cubic per month in a 12kw woodburner which heats an 80sqm house. it's a new build made from ytong with external insulation and good loft insulation, generally the temp ia around 25C, wearing nothing more than a t-shirt and shorts (unless we go outside of course :D )

How do you transfer the heat around your house - radiators? I have a much smaller bungalow house built of the same material and insulated in the same way, with a Prity 12 Kw Petchka (or higher Kw, can't remember at the moment), but I never reach T shirt temperatures although, my underfloor heating is not working and needs some modification to heat all the rooms as it was meant to. :(

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:11 am

heat transfers just by leaving the doors open, woodburner in living room/kitchen which is around 50sqm then open door to corridor/bathroom/bedroom after 2 or 3 hours the whole house is toasty.

we have no underfloor heating or any other source of heat, just the 12kw prity fire

MW, how thick is your ytong, ours is 20cm thick, this is why i built from this material, warm in winter cool in summer

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:24 am

spantrout wrote:heat transfers just by leaving the doors open, woodburner in living room/kitchen which is around 50sqm then open door to corridor/bathroom/bedroom after 2 or 3 hours the whole house is toasty.

we have no underfloor heating or any other source of heat, just the 12kw prity fire

MW, how thick is your ytong, ours is 20cm thick, this is why i built from this material, warm in winter cool in summer

The thickest full block size they make. Underfloor type Fibran with 'foil' on top and underneath the floor heating, thickest roofing insulation under OSB boarding and that thick white insulation outside behind a CM11 skim and another coating of rolled/dragged decorative plaster. (cannot for the life of me recall the correct English term for the latter).

Not saying the house is cold, it isn't as the few visitors I have say it is warm inside even when the fire is not burning. Just can't get the temperature up to a constant 25 ish deg C albeit, as I have said elsewhere, I do not have the fire burning every winter day or even all day, usually just evenings. My Shorts and T shirts are stored in the Caravan awaiting warmer weather. :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:37 am

as a rule, normally we would light the fire around 2 or 3 in the afternoon if the sun is shining, (3 large windows help with heating) or if it's a very cold or dark day (lets say -8 outside) then the fire would go on about 9 or 10am and it would be on all day, going out around 10pm thru midnight, i'm guessing on a -8 day, the temp inside is around 14/15C in the morning.

If the ytong is the thickest then it's 25cm

my floor is just hardcore,gravel,sand,damp course, 4cm fibran, 6 inch concrete. Walls are 20cm ytong, 4cm fibran, netting, .5cm maestro "li pilo" coating and 3 layers waterproof paint.

loft insulation is 10cm fibreglass insulation everywhere on the slope of roof and above the giprock ceiling

I think the secret is that we have had our fire on a somepoint everyday since oct. therefore maintaining the heat retention in the blocks.

other than that i can't think of any reason why the difference, and i might add that usually by the evening we have a least one or two windows open to help COOL the place down.

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”