Villages NOT worth living in!

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Thu May 26, 2011 8:47 am

Moscow_Wolf wrote:I guess that one man's hell is another man's heaven. I cannot see HOW we can have a balanced thread if one (or more) person says a village is rubbish and another wishes to defend it with the positive aspects to counter the negatives.

Thats why i didnt mention the name of my village -

I HATE IT and so does my girlfriend, today we have 3 sets of construction work going on within 50m of the house - i work from home - so the tally for the day is 1 chain saw, 1 still saw and about 10 guys with hammers building shuttering and a yapping dog. Yesterday i photographed the rubbish at the side of the bins as it now covers an area 4 x the size of the skip and 2 foot deep AND whats worse is people have taken out MY household rubbish out of the skip and thrown the bags on the floor in order to fill it with more construction waste. Presumably so they dont get aggro for leaving there rubbish at the side.

However -

If you live at the other side of the village 1000m away you are today almost certainly enjoying a peaceful cup of tea in the garden having popped you rubbish down to the nice clean bin passed all the happy wave'y people and the children playing good nat'd'ly in the street. You have every right to think you live in one of the nicest villages in Bulgaria.

I think i would have to conclude that Bulgarian's who have amassed enough wealth to build a 500 m2 villa have generally got there by sh***g on people and dont give a stuff about other people and there lives - it is not likely that they are going to give a stuff about your piece and quiet any more than they give a stuff about the fact there employees arnt paid enough to feed there children properly.

I.E. They dont make very good neighbors.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Thu May 26, 2011 10:03 am

I could tell you which villages I would personally live in (good villages, in my opinion) and which villages I definitely would not (bad villages, again in my opinion). Seeing things from a personal viewpoint, some places would obviously appeal more than others. Then again, someone else would undoubtedly come along with a completely opposing viewpoint, so does that make my 'good' villages good, and my 'bad' villages bad? Only to me, I suspect. I have had a house in a village with no gypsies in a 'good' village which I didn't like. I have also had a house in perhaps a not-so-good area which had many gypsies, which I loved. Calling a village with gypsies a 'bad' village is way off the mark. The Roma in my village always worked, always sought out work, caused no trouble and actually gave the village much of its lifeblood. I found friendliness there, both Roma and Bulgarians, and I thought the village was a great place to be. Someone else would probably look at the village and think it a dump, so my opinion of good and bad villages may be totally the opposite of theirs. What I am trying to say is that, unless there are regular stonings, rape and pillage, murders, robberies etc, then I think it is a pretty pointless exercise trying to name 'bad' villages. One man's meat is another man's poison, as the old saying goes. :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Thu May 26, 2011 10:12 am

millomgirl wrote:What I am trying to say is that, unless there are regular stonings, rape and pillage, murders, robberies etc,....

Just to be clear - is this a description of a "good" or a "bad" village? Either way, it sounds exciting.... :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Thu May 26, 2011 10:15 am

Seedy wrote:
millomgirl wrote:What I am trying to say is that, unless there are regular stonings, rape and pillage, murders, robberies etc,....

Just to be clear - is this a description of a "good" or a "bad" village? Either way, it sounds exciting.... :wink:
Dpends which day you ask me, Seedy!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Thu May 26, 2011 10:24 am

Seedy wrote:

I think that would very much depend on whether you are receiving of giving!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
varnaman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby varnaman » Thu May 26, 2011 11:02 am

So far we have 8 pages with very little information for prospective naive purchasers to go on, and if every village nominated gets defended so strongly then I imagine few will bother to post an opinion,which is a shame.
I thought the idea of this thread is so that those who are sitting in the UK with very little experience of Bulgaria other than perhaps a package holiday, would be able to avoid buying something blind.A few visits to any group of villages in the company of an agent or translator who may have their own agenda, wouldn't compensate for the almost first hand experiences of those Brits or locals who either live there or have integrated enough to operate at a 'native' level.
I for one am fed up and saddened with every new tale of woe from those who bought blindly. Thankfully they appear to be fewer in number now,but then so does every sort of foreigner in Bulgaria,judging by the shortage of posts on mybg compared to a couple of years ago.
We do need newcomers to help sustain the villages,but perhaps it all boils down to what sort of village we want to live in,and whether many of the villages have a future,which was the subject of another thread.
Hopefully others will continue to post and nominate their own thoughts on villages to avoid.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jadamwilliams
<b>Transport Services/Translations</b>

Postby jadamwilliams » Thu May 26, 2011 11:28 am

millomgirl wrote: Calling a village with gypsies a 'bad' village is way off the mark. :lol:

well said - I 100% agree with you -

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Thu May 26, 2011 11:46 am

jadamwilliams wrote:
millomgirl wrote: Calling a village with gypsies a 'bad' village is way off the mark. :lol:

If you say so......

Our local Roma let their goats and sheep loose near (and on) the Sofia Ring Road, have packs of street dogs around their shacks, burn piles of tyres on sunny days, drive their carts illegally on the local roads and used to pop over to the site when our apartment complex was being built for a bit of nocturnal "liberation" of tools and materials (until the new security company popped over to their little illegal "commune" and demonstrated a new use for baseball bats :wink: )

Some people may feel that their presence is merely providing a modicum of "local colour" but it doesn't represent what I'd describe as a "good" environment.... :roll:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jadamwilliams
<b>Transport Services/Translations</b>

Postby jadamwilliams » Thu May 26, 2011 10:26 pm

just as Brits are all different and Bulgarians too - good ones bad ones - the same goes for Roma - there are also many different "tribes" of Roma who have/had different skills and livelihoods - unfortunately in the 1960s many of the travelling Roma were forced to live in the worse areas of larger cities as a labourforce for the dirtiest/most physical jobs - seperate schools for Roma were quite common and it was a punishment for teachers to teach in these schools, so the standards were low - truancy amonst Roma communities was unchecked by the authorities and there now exists an underclass of uneducated people who have lost their traditional livelihoods -the Bulgarian govt has a tendency to sweep these problems under the carpet and blatantly racist jokes are commonplace on TV - (Slavi Trifanov). the police, army, health service etc are all institutionally racist - they are living in "illegal" shanty towns on the fringes of all the larger Bulgarian cities - becoming more polarised from "Bulgarian" society. The fact they are educated by mutra with baseball bats is a disgrace which Bulgarian society should be ashamed of..
The problem has only just started to be discussed in the media in an objective manner - it seems a programme of educational/vocational training and education of the "Bulgarians" would go a long way to relieving this problem... (see Otechestven Front on Vbox7)
What I was trying to say is not to write a village off just because there are Roma there - and dont tar everyone with the same brush - most the Roma from my village are living in Tolouse in France and Lisbon, have fully integrated into their new countries with jobs and decent housing - where they are not considered 2nd class citizens.. and now the "Bulgarians" are complaining they cant find anyone to do the manual jobs they used to do for a pittance..
Maybe this discussion is for another thread - but I am trying to indicate the presence of certain minorities shouldnt be automatically looked on negatively - but objectively and remember that 95% of Bulgarians have very old fashioned views, which has unfortunately rubbed off onto some newcomers . The subject of Tsigani (Roma gypsies) often comes up within the first few minutes of meeting someone, and I am glad to say I have managed to convince quite a few locals in my village not to judge a book by its cover..

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Fri May 27, 2011 7:41 am

Seedy wrote:
jadamwilliams wrote:

If you say so......

Our local Roma let their goats and sheep loose near (and on) the Sofia Ring Road, have packs of street dogs around their shacks, burn piles of tyres on sunny days, drive their carts illegally on the local roads and used to pop over to the site when our apartment complex was being built for a bit of nocturnal "liberation" of tools and materials (until the new security company popped over to their little illegal "commune" and demonstrated a new use for baseball bats :wink: )

Some people may feel that their presence is merely providing a modicum of "local colour" but it doesn't represent what I'd describe as a "good" environment.... :roll:

Your City illegal commune or Ghetto in my own words, is probably as distinctly different from your typical village Roma as we might compare an old fashioned Gypsy with horse and cart selling heather and wooden pegs to your TINKER.

Your village Roma, does not usually partake to liberating other folks belongings during the night, he prefers to do it in the daylight. A good village might be one that has a fair representation of all nationalities and ethnic minorities (including the Cornish, :roll: ). Too many cooks of one particular race, might well spoil the village broth and result in a bad village for others. :wink:

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”