buying in a village

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

hughie07

buying in a village

Postby hughie07 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:42 pm

Hi i am looking to buy a property in a village has anyone got more info on village life the good and bad points thanks hughie

carriemc
<b>Rental Agent</b>

Postby carriemc » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:58 pm

If you indicate which area you are interested in you might get some more specific and helpful advice.
Good Luck!
Caroline

noddy
Super User!
Super User!

buying in a village

Postby noddy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:04 pm

buy one as close as possible to a good size town
it will make life much more comfortable
and cheeper in the long run

brumski

Postby brumski » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:15 pm

i don't think village life is gonna be much fun if your not at least fairly conversent with the bulgarian language, and you are not prepared to at least try to integrate! however, this is a big topic,some villages have a few british families living there, so there may be an expat community (not everyones cup of tea) i suppose it depends on the village. oh, and i suppose one thing that all bg villages have in common is barking dogs!!! (all hours day and night) they drive me nuts!!. owning a village house also opens up probs with security, overgrown gardens etc. do you plan to live full time or just own a holiday home?, if it's the latter, you'd be better off with a "non complex" apartment, just lock it up and go home, no worries about burglary etc etc. i hope this helps a little.

brumski

BG9374

Postby BG9374 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:19 pm

Villages with Roma tend to be low cost and very different in culture.

hughie07

Postby hughie07 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Hi i will be looking at the yambol , bourgas area to start with, i would not want to be isolated so yes as someone has said close to a town would make sense and a village with some other ex pats in .

Rocker

Buying in a village

Postby Rocker » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:45 pm

Hi Hughie07 I know you are thinking of buying in the Borgas area but what I want to say is that although I am not in that area, I live 3k outside V.T. In a very good village no Roma and a very low crime rate. There are beautiful properties which belong to very rich Bulgarians. We have I think 3 full time British families. But what I like is that I can get a bus or taxi 5Lv into VT and have a meal, Drinks, shop. also for the hospital and doctors. Which is important for us. so I think I have the best of both worlds. We love are village and have been here 6 years. So think carefully on where you purchase your home. Think of all your needs. and maybe needs for the future Good luck Marie

banjo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby banjo » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:12 pm

If you are going to live in your village house all year round thats fine but if not dont bother because you will get burgled. Also as its been said barking bl**dy dogs 24 seven,also be smart do not buy anywhere that has gypsies.
You will need to at least try and learn Bulgarian lingo.

Dont expect decent roads there isnt many, dirt tracks at best ok for donkey and cart and stray dogs.

Bourgas is ok nice place in the summer bit dull in winter when it shuts.

Varna is best good all year round with decent shopping and sea views still loads of stray mutts and maniac drivers trying to avoid the stray pedestrians on zebra crossings, wear flat boots on the pavements or break an ankle or two. Not forgetting loads of ladies of the night.

Good luck. 8) 8) 8) Varna man.

RICO
Super User!
Super User!

post subject

Postby RICO » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:39 pm

if you are looking to buy a property for holiday use ,and will be travelling back and forth a number of times by air,then you should consider which airport you will want to be near ,for your convenience and your pocket. plovdiv,varna,burgas,sofia ,or fly to romania and cross the border. as other people have said,many,many things to consider,take your time.

atticjon

Postby atticjon » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:56 pm

I know at least two Brits who have been burgled in their absence, and not by Roma people. Culturally different? That's true, the Roma party really well! The Bulgarians seem to do 'at the table' very well for all afternoon lunch, both great, choose your poison! The dogs just 'disappear' after a month or two. Roads are usually crap but useable. Burgas is a really cool town with plenty to do all year round. Less cosmopolitan than Varna, but warmer (in both senses), a great beach and with the best coastline to the south. Oh , and I think Bucharest to Bg is a really nasty little trip! (all in my opinion!)

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”