Bee- keeping

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Liliana

Postby Liliana » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:56 am

Unfortunately, there are bees in a neighbours garden who have given absolutely no thought or consideration to us or others. It's not a pleasant experience trust me... :evil: Maybe you don't have close enough neighbours but they are very dangerous things to have in your own back yard.

The lastest I've been informed is that the law changed in 2008 so that people could keep hives in their gardens. However, the hives should be placed 5 metres (!!not far!!) from neighbouring boudaries BUT a 3 metre solid fence should be in place. Looking at the link B52 posted it states at least a 2 metre fence. Expensive which ever...?

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:36 pm

Bees appear to be in great decline and something the EU is trying to rectify.

I could only find this 'poor' translation relating to how many bees can be kept in an area of 20 square Miles, (is a radius of 2.5 kilometres 20 square miles), but it does not explain if that is per person or overall per 20 square miles. :?

What I did notice were references to 'registering your hives or swarms and something about new hives not being sold to folk that are not registered. However, as usual, who is going to enforce the rules! I do notice locations well outside the village that are Bee Hive colonies and they always have an A4 piece of paper at their entrance telling you who the the registered owner is and where to contact him/her. There again, I see loads of Bee Hives on the edges of villages. I had a few hives myself when I bought this place, but they were gone by the time I moved up here.

Under the law of bee keeping in the Republic of Bulgaria (Article 13 item 1) allowed placement of up to 50 colonies within a radius of 2.5 kilometers (about 20 square miles). Пчеларят е задължен да регистрира пчелните си семейства в кметството в 15 - дневен срок от придобиването им (чл.8 ал.1,2). Beekeeper is required to register their bee families in the town hall in the 15 - day period from their acquisition (Article 8 paragraph 1, 2).

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:49 pm

busybob, the Golden Pages (BG Yellow Pages from BTK, pick up a hardcopy at your local telephone company office) are a marvellous thing. http://www.goldenpages.bg/en

You can generally find something there. Honey is a classification, so just type in honey and select Varna from the drop down list.

Could be Lega at

http://www.legabg.com/cats.php

or ZET 1 at

http://www.bilbohoney.eu

(MW - yes it is all in the link that I gave, just a matter of feeding it into Google translate. As far as enforcing the rules is concerned, I am sure your neighbour and/or another bee keeper will help keep them enforced)

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:52 pm

Moscow_Wolf wrote:Bees appear to be in great decline and something the EU is trying to rectify.

I think its a bit more serious MW, "if urgent action is not taken, honey bees will disappear completely from Britain by 2018,"

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:02 pm

brianj42 wrote:
Moscow_Wolf wrote:Bees appear to be in great decline and something the EU is trying to rectify.

I think its a bit more serious MW, "if urgent action is not taken, honey bees will disappear completely from Britain by 2018,"

GM Foods!!! :roll: It will solve Liliana's Bee Problem, but 'possibly' marks the end of the world. :(

BusyBob

Postby BusyBob » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:17 pm

B52 wrote:busybob, the Golden Pages (BG Yellow Pages from BTK, pick up a hardcopy at your local telephone company office) are a marvellous thing. http://www.goldenpages.bg/en

You can generally find something there. Honey is a classification, so just type in honey and select Varna from the drop down list.

Could be Lega at

http://www.legabg.com/cats.php

or ZET 1 at

http://www.bilbohoney.eu

(MW - yes it is all in the link that I gave, just a matter of feeding it into Google translate. As far as enforcing the rules is concerned, I am sure your neighbour and/or another bee keeper will help keep them enforced)

Thanks for that B52 it will prove useful no doubt, anyone else have any ideas of how much one can be expected to receive for a kilo of honey produced.... at the factory, don't really want to trouble processors at this juncture as I am only sounding out the ideas

BusyBob

Postby BusyBob » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:46 pm

Surely someone has a neighbor nearby who can say where they sell their honey to and for how much a kilo ?

Bob!

SooToo

Postby SooToo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:23 pm

Well we buy ours from the local market for 6 lev for a large jar if that helps!!

BusyBob

Postby BusyBob » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:42 pm

er noooooooo 8O I am aware of the retail price... wondering wether it is worth the bother so more imput is required, Need to know who the processors are and what they pay the producer :)

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:47 pm

Just needs a little work you know. Type in things like Купувам мед пчелен and you come up with lots of things (of course, more work, you have to translate them, unless you understand Bulgarian). It is easy, though, really.

Then you get things like...
"Redeem pure beeswax honey. 4 leva per kg. in place Sofiya. Tel: 0888101408"
and
"Buy honey. Payment immediately. Price leva 4 kg. ..."
and
"Hi, I'm looking to buy a bunch of honey over 5 tons. I accept offers from all over the country, the requirements that have to be honey, is harvested in ..., is in new tins, is pure squeezed if there is any a certificate of quality will be a plus, I'm from Sofia, you can contact with me on the phone ......"

etc. etc.

Just have to watch that the Bulgarian for honey is the same as the word for copper.

So, I guess it is probably around 4 leva per kg.

You could always email the companies that I gave links to and ask them, that is easy too.

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”