Bee- keeping

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

BG9374

Postby BG9374 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:41 pm

How do you get the bees to the hive, read mere purchase a queen and just wait for her to attract workers etc.

Find this to be highly suspect way of starting a business or hobby, for starters cannot guarantee quality nor breed of bee.

Applejuice

Postby Applejuice » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:45 pm

I don`t know anything about Bulgarian law on beekeeping but before you come out and hope to stay I strongly suggest you go on a course on beekeeping in the UK, The cost of the courses are not much and give you a very good groundwork about differant types of hives along with hands on help from experienced local beekeepers.
The advantage of these courses is you can gain recognised qualifications which most EU countries accept as a standard ,the British beekeepers assosiasion should also be able to put you in contact with the right people in each country that you decide to keep bees in.

flowers

Postby flowers » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:23 am

my nieghbours, have bees all 34 hives i made a point of counting them,
there is only a mesh fence between them and me,
not surre which way the hives are facing, they are about five metres away,
i'm sure they shouldn't have so many hives so close it does scare me,
lovely neighbours ,, but will have to speak to mayor,
hope it doesn't course trouble, as we have always got along
but can't afford to take the risk anymore,
but i don't think i should be five metres away from 33 hives, alarm bells

BG9374

Postby BG9374 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:11 pm

What about installation of bee hives as a security device. What I mean is one more additional item in the garden to make awkward any intruder's path.

Least if they push them over, or knock them by accident the bees might take offence and swarm on the unfriendly?

Next question, cost of bee hives and from where? Wood and a local builder is also an option

rodz
Super User!
Super User!

bee keeping

Postby rodz » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:02 pm

Keep them in your garden and you will never get elephants coming in

qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:09 pm

Lemon grass extract as used in some perfumes and body deodorants (Thats why bees follow some people about at garden parties and not others.) Concentrated liquid, can be bought off E-Bay, rig up tripwires to spray liberal amounts over intruder, if you wanted to be really nasty mix in some sugar or honey with it for a feeding frenzy 8O

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”