Chedder Cheese Please!

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
cornishmaids
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Chedder Cheese Please!

Postby cornishmaids » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:21 am

cheese is the question what decent cheese can u buy which resembles cheddar! We have a frdge full of cheese at the mo as we cant get the right one! any help would make cheese deprived cornishmaids very happy! my crackers are lonely!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:42 am

Kashkaval ! Other main variety is white cheese.

if you go to one of the large supermarkets, eg BILLA, you will get a wider rang, incluidng imported cherese.

Where are you ?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
vjay
Super User!
Super User!

Postby vjay » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:53 am

Kashkavel is that like chedder
taste and texture

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Phreddy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Phreddy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:04 am

VJay: I only wish that was true. Good chedder is not available in BG. Not in Billa, not in Metro, not anywhere - that's why the cornishmaids have such a lot of crap in the fridge.

Part of the price that you pay to live in BG - no decent chedder cheese. Lots of 'blue' cheese if you want it.

Phreddy

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
vjay
Super User!
Super User!

cheese

Postby vjay » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:12 am

Thanks phreddy,

Thats what l thought.
I was beginning to think it was me.

Thanks again

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
magicvw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby magicvw » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:53 pm

There's a kind of kashkaval called Paladin (Паладин), which I think is much better than the normal kind, if you can find it. I used to buy it when I lived in Sofia, but haven't seen it here in VT. It's got a texture and flavour more like cheddar than the usual kashkaval, but of course youcan't beat the real thing.

My father in law sent me a package containing English cheese about 12 months ago, but it hasn't arrived yet. Has anybody seen/smelt it?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Phreddy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Phreddy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:38 pm

That is useful to know but it doesn't seem very popular with the locals. I will e-mail my friend in BG and see if is obtainable in Elhovo.
Thanks

Phreddy

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
cornishmaids
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby cornishmaids » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:58 am

thank you so much guess the cheese fairy will have to come visit! maybe my mates could post it to me . Then again by the time i get it it will be a packet of mould ie bulgarian cheese!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
satellitemark
Super User!
Super User!

cheese & customs

Postby satellitemark » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:06 am

hi

i had to resort to bring cheese with me from the uk, its not to bad away from peak season but it gets a bit sweaty in the middle of summer ! on one occasion , i was stopped in berlin by customs & asked why i was carrying cheese in my luggage ! they were ok about it as it was unopened & vac packed but i think if it had been in cling film they would of taken it off of me.

regards

mark

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Pelican
Mega User!
Mega User!

Cheese

Postby Pelican » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:42 am

We haven't as yet found real Cheddar, there's a variety of Cheese available in some supermarkets 'Chedur' but it's not a patch on the genuine article.

Kashkaval comes in all sorts of guises and the lighter whiter variants seem a bit more in tune with our British palate.

I was sick to the back teeth with 'Sirene' after a month but persevered and have found some very tasty, milder and slightly less salty kinds are available.

We had a week back in the UK last month and I must have chomped my way through at least a pound of Mature Cheddar.

Gouda and Emmental are in most big Supermarkets and are great for Cheese on Toast (some Kaskaval is good for this too).

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”