Taking the plunge!

If you are new to the My Bulgaria forums and want a softer introduction other than diving straight in, just say 'hi' here. Tell us a little about yourself or your interest in Bulgaria maybe? We were all 'new' once!

Moderator: Moderator

swbg2010

Taking the plunge!

Postby swbg2010 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:38 pm

Hi all. Ill be moving into my house in the Bansko region in Middle of october. Staying for 1 whole year.

I have been learning bulgarian 6 months so I can get stuck in there.

Do the hotels in bansko tend to look for employess from now? im thinking to work 3-4 days a week so I dont get board. Or if anyone knows someone who needs a hand with admin, manual labour etc. Ive been in the tourism buisness for the last 6 years. I will give anything a try. may look into starting a buisness in January.

The rest I will be growing my garden. Walking a new dog, mountain biking, really exploring the region one good thing I have bulsat.com for 20 levs a month. I get more live football matches than on sky for 50 quid a month. :P
Is there many people posting on here from this region?

Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:06 pm

As you've got experience of the tourism business and have learnt some Bulgarian you've got a chance , but times are hard everywhere , so don't expect that much in the way of wages . As I mentioned on the other thread being able to speak Russian would significantly improve your chances . Tim .

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:39 pm

swbg2010

I have lived for 5 years in Bansko, if I can help let me know.

There's a few expat people in Bansko run businesses and they do take on nearer the season. Lots of hotels take on as well, but your Bulgarian needs to be quite good quality.

Maybe I should be saying this on there but you will have more chance on the Forum TalkBansko if you google as this is specific to Bansko. I know that virtually all the expats living in bansko use that forum.

Brian

bgcarl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby bgcarl » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:47 am

Hi swbg2010.

Welcome to MYBG and good luck with your year in Bansko, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Cheers

BGCarl

swbg2010

Postby swbg2010 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:32 pm

I understand times are hard i'm not looking to make a mint. Just to experience working in Bulgaria. I've heard it not very nice, but until i've tried it ill not know. The air is clean. I wont miss sitting in a traffic jam waiting to get home.

Hi Brian, how do you find it living there all year? I have visited several times, I wont be in Bansko its self just on a village on the outskirts.

I have also visited the forum you mentioned, but if i'm honest here seems alot more helpful. It seems on there be just people trying to advertise there businesses folk complaining about not making money on the apartment they bought. Or one guy showing pictures of his new bike. On here are more people who actually live and are enjoying bg.

Joss
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Joss » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:40 pm

Welcome. Hope you enjoy your time in Bulgaria. Make full use of the forum for advice, if needed, and making friends. Good luck

Joss

Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:23 pm

Well I'm not sure who told you that Bulgaria wasn't very nice , but obviously that's their opinion and you'll have to make your own mind up . Like anywhere there are plusses and minusses (and loads of 's') but really (sorry my brain isn't computing tonight , so can someone fill the blanks ) one mans' ....... is another mans' ........ The debate as to how clean the air is (or isn't ) is on another topic , I would have thought it should be OK in the mountains . If you stay out of the cities you can largly avoid traffic jams . There's good and bad everywhere , a lot is down to what you put in . Tim .

swbg2010

Postby swbg2010 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:52 pm

Sorry - I meant I've been told working in Bulgaria is not meant to be much good.

I know how beautiful this country is . that's why I'am going to try it.

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:03 pm

swbg2010 wrote:I understand times are hard i'm not looking to make a mint. Just to experience working in Bulgaria. I've heard it not very nice, but until i've tried it ill not know. The air is clean. I wont miss sitting in a traffic jam waiting to get home.

Hi Brian, how do you find it living there all year? I have visited several times, I wont be in Bansko its self just on a village on the outskirts.

I have also visited the forum you mentioned, but if i'm honest here seems alot more helpful. It seems on there be just people trying to advertise there businesses folk complaining about not making money on the apartment they bought. Or one guy showing pictures of his new bike. On here are more people who actually live and are enjoying bg.

I avoid the other forum like the plague, Elderado meets Eastenders mentality (with a bit of Coronation Street thrown in). MYBG is the place to be :D

We live just outside Bansko in a small village (not at the moment though, we're in France). Living in Bansko itself is "interesting" to say the least. December to February its full of snow and people, night clubs etc etc. The rest of the year its the same as any Bulgarian town, nice and quiet. We actually find the summers better than the winters, but then we are offroad fanatics.

I am sure you will enjoy it, its great summer and winter.

What village will you be in ?

As I said, if you need ANY unbiased/honest advice then don't hesitate to contact me. I promise not to try and sell you something, especially as I've nowt to sell :D

Brian

swbg2010

Postby swbg2010 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:52 pm

I'll be in a house in a place called Banya. The house was cheap and have spent last 2 years getting it up to scratch. Last I was there the Russians had just moved in building a massive complex on the hill if you drive to Banya from Bansko and the right as you enter Banya you will see it.

Maybe now its open so I might nip in to see if they are looking for staff.

Brian how is the ex pat community in bansko? are they a friendly bunch? or most only here for the $$$

Return to “NEWBIES - Say 'Hi' here!”