Retiring to Bulgaria

If you are new to the My Bulgaria forums and want a softer introduction other than diving straight in, just say 'hi' here. Tell us a little about yourself or your interest in Bulgaria maybe? We were all 'new' once!

Moderator: Moderator

ballingham

Retiring to Bulgaria

Postby ballingham » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:18 pm

Hello everyone. My name is John and am considering Bulgaria as somewhere to retire to. Have visited the country three times so far; Black Sea coast, Sofia and Plovdiv.
Will be visiting again next week (27th. Nov.), spending 5/6 days in Veliko Turnovo (Hotel Panorama). Would like to meet/speak with some expats to get first hand views about living in Bulgaria, along with some ideas on either renovating a property or what to expect of an already renovated property.
What kind of weather can I expect this time of year?.
Can be contacted john.carroll@btinternet.com

Best regards

John.

1abroad

Postby 1abroad » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:01 pm

Have sent you an Email

kazz
<b>Country Advisor/Property Finder</b>

Postby kazz » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Hi John,
Hard to know what kind of weather to expect by next week.....this week we've been hitting 20Cs in the daytimes and even the nights aren't cold....some years by this time we've already had our first snow.
Bring things you can layer, then you can pile 'em on or strip them off as needed.
I'm in Veliko Tarnovo most days from 10-5 because I have a book shop there, if you want to drop in for a chat feel free.
You'll find directions to the shop on this site under the helping hands section. :)

theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:56 am

The weather will be what you are used to in the uk
next week temps will be below 10 and it will proberbly rain mid week.

I think you are doing it the right way visiting several areas before you buy.
I suggest if you are looking for value for money you take a day trip to Rouse which is not far from vt.

Wildrovers

Postby Wildrovers » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:26 pm

VT has lovely weather at the moment, it's sunny and still warm, but the nights are cooling and the mornings are getting misty! Snow, apparently, is coming in a fortnight, but if there is one thing I've learnt, it's not to trust the weather forecasts. However if you're cold, the 2nd hand shops here are cheap and full of warm jumpers. Drop us a line when you get here, we'll be happy to meet you for a beer. Also we can recommend a company to help you set up, if you decide to move here - nobody we have a financial interest with!!

butterfly

Relocating

Postby butterfly » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:58 pm

Hi everyone we too are relocating to bulgaria early next year any good agents to reccomend please. And whats vt like to live anyone reccomend it.any advise welcome. Thankyou
Butterfly

ballingham

Postby ballingham » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:22 pm

Hi kazz. I will most certainly visit your bookshop to say hello. I will be arriving by bus from Sofia. Is the bus station far from City centre?. I need to get to Hotel Panorama, are there buses into the centre or will I need a taxi.

doberden
<b>Property Sales/Rental/Management</b>

Postby doberden » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:24 am

Hi and enjoy your trip to VT.

Hotel panorama is not the easiest place to find so i would take a taxi, will be about 2 levs. be easier than trying to carry bags all over town and finding the place.

Nice hotel by the way in a quiet spot, 2 mins walk from the main street.

2 Bus stops in VT, 1 near town the other a little further down the same road, so depends on which Bus your getting on. etap stop nearer town and Biomet stop further down the road.

if your going to walk, head to town centre, turn left, after around 100metres you will see taxi's parked, turn half right there, walk to top turn right again and hotel on left next to the best restaurant in VT.

loz
Super User!
Super User!

Postby loz » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:40 am

The Panorama I know is in the opposite direction. Turn right at Mother Bulgaria (150m from Etap, 400m from Biomet) and it's about 400m on the right.

fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:07 am

Hi John - best get a taxi, they are very cheap here, if you have never been you are not really going to reconize place names. There is so much to see in Veliko Turnovo and I hope that you can get time to venture outwith the city.

Enjoy your trip, I hope this nice weather lasts for you. Let us know how you faired. Frieda.

Return to “NEWBIES - Say 'Hi' here!”