Another 2 joining the mass exodus from Turkey

If you are new to the My Bulgaria forums and want a softer introduction other than diving straight in, just say 'hi' here. Tell us a little about yourself or your interest in Bulgaria maybe? We were all 'new' once!

Moderator: Moderator

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:07 am

Probably this...
http://www.expatarrivals.com/forum/comm ... sionID=627
As of July 14 the Turkish government has instituted a new law that looks to directly effect expats living in Turkey on a visitor\'s visa and making \"visa runs\" every 3 months in order to renew their privileges. The new law makes it possible for members of 63 said countries to remain in Turkey on a visitor\'s visa for 90 days in every 180 days. These days need not be consecutive, but the amount of time (90 days) cannot be exceeded within the given period (180 days). This does still make it possible for those that regularly holiday to Turkey throughout the year to continue as normal.

For more information on Turkish visas and work permits visit: http://www.expatarrivals.com/turkey/visas-for-turkey

So Turkey has introduced the three out of six months rolling visa, a concept that I never want to have to explain to anyone ever again.

markie1969
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby markie1969 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:24 pm

just to clarify i think that is 90 days! not 3 months!
i accidently stayed 91 days n had to go topolice station while everyone was on the ferry waiting n i had to pay 170 lira fine! oops not a good start to the day! the guy behind me got fined 300 euros! i stayed in turkey for over a year n my mum lives there and has done for 7 yrs now n does the daytrip thing which is a nice day in itself!

markie1969
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby markie1969 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:32 pm

ive just read the post before agin....so u can only stay 3 months every 6 months? damn thats gonna really screw people that live there permanently!
Tho u can buy a residence permit every year or every 5 yrs unless this to has changed! Prob get more info on a turkish/expats site tho!

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:36 pm

Thanks Lee and others for attempted explanations. Someone elsewhere also mentioned the increased cost of visas, but none of this would account IMHO for a "mass exodus". Severe widespread xenophobia, breakdown of law and order, famine, drought, plague, pestilence, land grab, political or economic calamity - these are the kinds of things that lead to mass exoduses, not the explanations offered to date. I'm still curious.
Perhaps the O.P. could enlighten us?

borntolaze

Postby borntolaze » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:51 pm

Houseman...One of the main reasons in my opinion why a lot of people are leaving Turkey whether it is to come over here or somewhere else, is that they can't afford to live there anymore due to the bank interest rates dropping so much over the last few years. The majority of expats lived off of the interest earned on their savings as they couldn't legally work there.
Going by the sort of questions asked on this forum and others I personaly feel that a lot of the expats coming over to Bulgaria are mainly coming over because it's still cheap to live here and not necessarily because they really fancy village life and a freezing cold winter!....what they'll do when the interest rates in the banks are no longer what they are now I don't know?..Judging by the amount of expats wanting to move into the Elhovo area it will probably become like Altinkum in Turkey in no time at all!

Crawfie

Postby Crawfie » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:09 am

First of all, thanks for all the kind words from the MYBG Members.

The title of the thread wasn't meant to be took too seriously, it's just the last few months here in Turkey everyone I've spoken to, the subject of Bulgaria has come up.I personally Know of 4 couples that lived within walking distance of me have relocated to Bulgaria this year alone. Financial reasons could be one of the main reasons for leaving. Interest rates for a start....not too many years ago you could get a return of 18% from your Turkish bank account, now your lucky to receive 7%. Then there is the massive increase in residence permit to £370 p.a, which will become compulsory from April 2011 when the 90/180 day tourist visa takes effect. And just of late they are going introduce compulsory membership of the Turkish Universal Health Insurance scheme (UHI) at a cost of £1000 p.a. Which means for a couple living here that would be a bill of £2740 p.a, which I imagine would go a long towards Bulgarian living costs !!
I personally don't rely on money gained from interst in a Turkish bank.
One of my reasons for leaving is that I'm not married to my partner and she does not have her name on a TAPU (title deeds) or a rental agreement, which is one of the many requirements for gaining a residence permit, and the other is we simply like Bulgaria.
I hope this answers a few questions.

All the Best,

Ian.

abracadabra

Postby abracadabra » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:49 am

We left Turkey almost 2 years ago to come here to Bulgaria as we could see the way the wind was blowing politically. Also, costs for even the most everyday items in Turkey have risen to prohibitive levels - food costs and fuel costs in particular.

I visited in August this year, and at that time, just to give an example, a kilo of minced meat was being offered on TV as a special offer for 28 Lira a kilo.(The Lira and Leva are worth around the same)

The current Turkish government are pro-Islamic and things are definitely changing in what used to be a very relaxed "Muslim" country. Secularism is on the wane, Islamification on the rise. This by the way is not just my opinion, my Turkish friends say the same, and many are trying to find work outside of Turkey.

As far as expats are concerned; it is impossible to work legally in Turkey, so with rising costs and a fixed income and no prospect of even part time work to up your finances, a move is the only way forward.Working illegally in Turkey is insane, as the penalties if you are caught range from large fines to deportation and seizure of your Turkish assets!

Bulgaria is I think appealing for former Turkey expats for a variety of reasons.

It's only a border away for a start, so it's easy to investigate and explore before committing yourself; property here is cheap - and since many Turkey expats come here to buy and THEN find a buyer for their Turkish property, that's important as they are in many cases using their remaining savings to buy here till they sell there if you follow me.

The cost of living in Bulgaria is a LOT cheaper, including of course food, of which there are more choices in Bulgarian supermarkets too.and for those who want to operate a company and work Bulgaria is very attractive as are the tax rates.

Speaking from personal experience, after spending years in Turkey where there are really only two seasons - hot summers and very cold windy rainy winters - the four seasons here act like a tonic on me.

As you know BornToLaze, I am in the Elhovo area, and so far it hasn't turned into Altinkum - I sincerely hope it doesn't - as people are scattered far and wide among the villages, so we haven't got the hard core static gatherings of expats as found in Didim, Altinkum, Kusadasi and Marmaris, it's on market days that Elhovo seems a bit English as everyone comes in to shop, and why not?

This area is popular for lots of reasons, one being its proximity to the Lesovo border crossing - I can be in Edirne drinking Turkish tea and enjoying the vibe in 40 minutes - so the expats coming here can enjoy a lower cost of living and less stress but still get a Turkey fix whenever they like!

We still like Turkey and indeed still visit there, but we are very glad we made the move here.

Bulgaria may not be for everyone - in fact i am sure it's not - but it certainly seems to be ticking the boxes for a lot of Turkey expats.

A warm Welcome to all the newcomers.

Karen

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:18 pm

Very informative! Thanks to abracadabra, crawfie and borntolaze in particular for those insights. :smt023

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:53 pm

The fault line that divides Orient and Europe, Islam and Christendom is deepening !

Cesmeresident

Postby Cesmeresident » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:40 am

scot47 wrote:The fault line that divides Orient and Europe, Islam and Christendom is deepening !

Scot47 well said
I think the exodus is a combination of many things but seeing Burkas wandering around the back streets this year was fairly shocking. I am an hour down the road from the most cosmpolitan city of Turkey and the area is populated by holiday homes for these very modern Turks and as you can imagine they are none too happy. If you go to the Marina you can see fabulous ladies and fashionable men sharing a bottle of wine (at outrageous prices) and then to see these people draped in heavy black cloth just 5 minutes away is not something I would have seen even three years ago.

Return to “NEWBIES - Say 'Hi' here!”