Another day, another Newbie!

If you are new to the My Bulgaria forums and want a softer introduction other than diving straight in, just say 'hi' here. Tell us a little about yourself or your interest in Bulgaria maybe? We were all 'new' once!

Moderator: Moderator

Kernston

Another day, another Newbie!

Postby Kernston » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:48 pm

Hello all :)

We're a couple in our late 20's - currently living in Brighton...dreaming of a new life...
I'm Irish and spent the majority of my childhood spent living in the wilds of County Donegal in Ireland, and my partner grew up in Somerset.
I wake up some days and pine for the country...and my other half, bless him deserves the quiet life he'd love :)

Presently, we are literally Book 1, Chapter 1, Page 1 of this whole process. We have meagre savings, and are really finding our feet.

We have spent this year researching Bulgaria...and admittedly probably spent far too many hours trawling the interwebs for images of houses, land, the landscapes. Also, streets, peoples faces (and yes some of the "Murder houses" as we er...affectionately term those houses you see on sites such as eBay - where there is a desolate room in it only a single solitary shoe, long abandoned...below a patch of fallen-in roof. yet splathered (I think I made that word up... :? ) across the image is a gaudy sign in neon lettering, "SEE THE POTENTIAL?!"

The things is... I kind of do. I do see the potential to take hold of what I'd much rather do with my day, than sit in an office... I'd much rather live the homely, energetic, creative life I grew up with.
Hard graft with heart. I think that says it.
(Heart Graft...?)

So, I am busy amassing as much information as I possibly can, and lo and behold I stumble upon this site and these wonderful forums. I've been peeping around for the last few months, and feel there's no place/bunch of people I'd rather share my journey with :)
I'll be setting up a blog and hope to chart my progress when we finally begin Book 1, Chapter 2 :wink:

I'd love to hear if anyone else has any stories, blogs, tips and pictures of their hard efforts and general sagely guidance they might kindly impart..?

We are yet to travel to BG; but hope to in the spring/summer next year.
Besides... we have some bills to pay off before we can kick-start our savings!

I'l stop rambling now... Hello everyone...

Sláinte as we say in Ireland :)

Sarah (& Tom)

pearltoo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby pearltoo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:37 am

What a lovely introduction !

Welcome to the forums !

:smt039 :smt039 :smt039

Pearltoo

Charliechech
<b>Property Sales/Management</b>

Postby Charliechech » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:49 am

I second that!!! A fabulous introduction, thank you.

You've been doing things the right way and the next fun step is to get over here and start your adventure.

I don't have a blog but I know a few who do. I will dig out their websites and post them as soon as I can.

There is a huge variety of places in Bulgaria, so many wonderful places to choose from and I am sure, a few to be avoided ;) Asking about different areas in BG is a good way to find out what it's like, living here is much different than just visiting for holidays. It's not always fabulous but the fabulous days out weigh the bad, well they do for me anyway!

And it is great looking at photos of the country, landscape, interesting places, houses, etc etc etc, but nothing beats seeing it with your own eyes. Houses can look great on pictures but a hell hole in reality, but it can also go the opposite way, can look like pretty much nothing on photos and be your ideal place when you get there! But you have to get the village/area right too, after all, you'll be stuck there!!

Welcome to the site and enjoy your research, it all starts here!!!

Charliechech
<b>Property Sales/Management</b>

Postby Charliechech » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:12 am

I second that!!! A fabulous introduction, thank you.

You've been doing things the right way and the next fun step is to get over here and start your adventure.

I don't have a blog but I know a few who do. I will dig out their websites and post them as soon as I can.

There is a huge variety of places in Bulgaria, so many wonderful places to choose from and I am sure, a few to be avoided ;) Asking about different areas in BG is a good way to find out what it's like, living here is much different than just visiting for holidays. It's not always fabulous but the fabulous days out weigh the bad, well they do for me anyway!

And it is great looking at photos of the country, landscape, interesting places, houses, etc etc etc, but nothing beats seeing it with your own eyes. Houses can look great on pictures but a hell hole in reality, but it can also go the opposite way, can look like pretty much nothing on photos and be your ideal place when you get there! But you have to get the village/area right too, after all, you'll be stuck there!!

Welcome to the site and enjoy your research, it all starts here!!!

booboo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby booboo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:29 am

Hi from a couple who were like you 7 years ago.

Good to hear more younger people are considering a change. We thought we were alone in this :wink: :wink:

Good luck

Pixi

Postby Pixi » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:41 am

Hi and welcome to the forum you will find lots of help here just ask away. :)

SheilaP

Postby SheilaP » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:03 pm

What a lovely introduction. Your adventures are just about to start so we wish you well on your future journey together. Like you, we dreamed of having something of our own away from the noise and bustle of busy towns and city's. We eventually bought an old derelict house on top of a mountain in Wales 25 years ago and have spent the time since doing it up slowly ourselves. It has been hard work but an incredibly fulfilling project which we would recommend to anyone.

In 2006 we went to central Bulgaria so that my husband could paraglide in the balkans - he needed a break away from all the building work! We fell in love with the people and the area and ended up buying a very small, derelict house with fabulous views, nice garden and some good neighbours. The house is now finished and we are toying with the idea of retiring and spending 6 months there and 6 months here in Wales. We would move out permanently but now have very young grandchildren who we would miss too much!

In my opinion BG is a lovely country with really nice people. The seasons are very marked with gorgeous springs, hot summers and sunny, still and serene autumns -can't advise about the winters though. The pace of life is a lot slower than here in the UK and the cost of living seems to be less in many ways. There are downsides, in our case, breakins blamed on local gypsy's and not being fluent in the language which can be a little isolating. However you could work on that one.
Although we have not settled permanently in BG and thus, our advice and opinions are limited, if we were young, we would seriously consider moving out there permanently.

Visit if you can, ideally driving about the country to find out which areas you like best. If you are able, it might be an idea to rent something cheaply for a few weeks just to get a feel for the place before making a more permanent commitment.

Anyway all the very best in whatever you decide to do.

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby truckyboy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:35 pm

Sheila & tom, what a lovely start to your post, and welcome to my bg.
I think you are being very sensible in your approach, and are thinking things through seriously. Its a lot of peoples dreams to be able to live in the country side and let the world role by, but there are pitfalls, the same as anywhere really. What you have to consider is whether you want to move and live in bg, and if so, how will you finance your dream ( you have said the finances are not of a great amount ) so the other option, is to live in 2 places at once. A home in the uk, and pleasant holidays in the countryside of bg. The last option will of course test your resources, but can whet the appetite for that dream to be fulfilled. Thats what my wife and I do, is to keep the base in the uk, and spend weeks in our place in bg. Of course the countryside is your pulling power, so it could be a village life, but although i wanted the same, my wife being bulgarian, advised against it, as we would be leaving our home vulnerable. There are many stories to be read on this forum about that. So we opted for an apartment, that wanted less of our money, and also was easy to secure ( sot). you could also fit a security system to a country house, but in my opinion, is not worth it unless
you actually live in it full time, and there have been robberies in that situation as well. I am sorry if i have frightened you with a few realities, but these are issues that are important, and seeing as you are a level headed person, will obviously appreciate. Good luck with your venture, keep your heads screwed on, and hopefully fulfill your dreams.

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Ahhh... Donegal

The kindly spot, the friendly town, where every one is known,
And not a face in all the place but partly seems my own;
There's not a house or window, there's not a field or hill,
But, east or west, in foreign lands, I'll recollect them still.
William Allingham

You'll like it here.

BG9374

Postby BG9374 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Got to BG on the fundamentals of thought, very basic reading and thinking on the subject and whoosh away and visit.

Chaper one of your book seems very exciting, keep going. And hello to both of you. :D :D :D :D :D

Return to “NEWBIES - Say 'Hi' here!”