Lake at Manastir (Provadiya district)

Discussion room for new/proposed golf courses and developments in Bulgaria…and for other related sporting activities, initiatives and chat.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Slaphead
Pig Headed

Lake at Manastir (Provadiya district)

Postby Slaphead » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:33 pm

Has anyone fished the reservoir/lake at Manastir?
I spoke to a local chap who said he'd had a carp of just under 20kg a while ago and I've seen a photo of what looked like a huge grass carp which came from the water.

P

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:37 am

Here's a bit of info on this lake. It's still a little sketchy but getting clearer. Watch this space.
Carp - 13,000 up to 1kg stocked 2 years ago (there are much older resident carp in there but as yet sizes are unknown)
Pike - 10kg +
Catfish - 15kg +
There are some rather strange looking Russian fish which are apparently weed eaters, the one I was shown weighed about 4kg (big, upturned mouth and very low set eyes).
Another Russian fish called a White Amur which in UK is known as grass carp. A photo of one taken by the lake's previous owner from the lake is on my gallery.

There were quite a few 'lumps' crashing about but too far away for me to identify.
It would be interesting to get a few people up there next year to give the lake a good thrashing and start getting a clearer picture.
email or pm us if you're interested.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:00 pm

Further to my last post regarding 'fishing guinea pigs' and the subsequent underwhelming response of zero, Sue and I are moving out to our place in BG to take up residence in May this year.
It would be great if we could get a few enthusiasts to come and give our lake a hammering for a few days. The only cost involved to volunteers would be travel and bait/tackle which we can't supply. We can even pick up from the airport.
Ideally 5 to 6 anglers would be best. We can then accomodate and feed/water them reasonably comfortably.
The Russian fish I referred to earlier is named Tolstoruppe (dodgy spelling) which translates to a Big Head Carp.
As I said in my earlier post, I can't guarantee the size of the fish in the lake but old Ivan reckons he had a Catfish (Som) of around 15kilos.
If you'd like to be involved in this exploration send me a pm and please give dates which will suit you. Could you also indicate what you are hoping to get into fishwise.

Regards,
Paul and Sue

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Andy57

Postby Andy57 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:27 pm

http://www.iisgcp.org/habitats/carppost/carppost.htm

These the fellas your talking about Slaphead????

Any updates on the fishing?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:30 pm

The very ones Andy. Apparently they're a problem in the states as they are non native and breeding far too well.
Just as an update. Believe it or not, although I had a whole month at the lake, I rarely fished it. I spent far too much time pointing at the multitude of birds of prey flying around every day, quite magnificent to see.
We even think we have Ospreys fishing the place. A book on European birds of prey is very near the top of our 'must get' list.
The biggest fish I had in my few forays was a common carp of about 3 kilos.
One or two of the locals managed the odd carp as well. There are too many 'Taranka' (crucian carp) for using small baits. So, also near the top of the shopping list are big pellet type baits to keep the little so and sos at bay.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Andy57

Postby Andy57 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:40 pm

I have seen video footage of big silver carp in BG so assumed that's what they would be. Capable of growing huge in the right conditions as are grassies.

So are all these lakes stocked for food for the locals? is fishing for food a big time "sport"?

I would assume that the rivers offer the chance of some real big carp or possibly some of the more neglected lakes or does everywhere get fished quite hard?

The continent seems blessed with a huge amount of birds of prey, seen loads of different ones when fishing in France, lots of kites but only ever seen one Osprey and that was at Shearwater near Warminster, it had stopped off on it's way to Scotland for a couple of weeks rest. stunning looking thing.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Fri May 25, 2007 9:40 am

I've spent the last 40 years fishing in a variety of worldwide locations.
Yesterday I was treated to a 'first'. Watching big Catfish (Com) taking carp on the surface of our lake. 8O Breathtaking! I'm off down the tackle shop now to get some 'cat kit'. :D

Return to “Golf in Bulgaria…and other sports!”