ALL THE INFO YOU NEED RE SLIVEN G.C.

Discussion room for new/proposed golf courses and developments in Bulgaria…and for other related sporting activities, initiatives and chat.

Moderator: Moderator

trickytree
Super User!
Super User!

Postby trickytree » Tue May 22, 2007 11:48 am

Hi to all you golfers in Bg, we had a very interesting weekend playing at Sliven, once you get used to placing the ball on some grass on the fairway and one or two other minor idiocyncrosis about the course, and in no way am I having a swipe at Sliven GC. The people at the club, like most Bulgarians, made us all most welcome and their hospitality was exemplory.They are trying very hard to improve the course, the layout has charachter and although a little wooly, the greens were superb. the accomodation at 40 leva for a well appointed twin room was fantastic value.We're looking forward to meeting up with Red and a few others in July. Couple of little pointers for you all, the shortest par 3 is 217 yards and the 6th is now 247 yard par 4, si 6 and the 7th is 446 yard par 4, si 16. See you there sometime, TT.

7RED
Super User!
Super User!

Postby 7RED » Wed May 23, 2007 2:24 am

Hi TT,

It was great meeting up with you,Steve and Oily. i agree with what you said about the course it was a bit rough going at times however like Steve said at least you 2 have now played the best 2 golf courses in Bg 8) .

For anybody else out there who would like to play but you don't have a partner then I can assure you that Trickytree and Steveanne are not only excellent golfers but more importantly they are both excellent people.

For anybody around Itckman on the 10th of June there will be an Open Comp for all comers, just call the club for more information.

7red

trickytree
Super User!
Super User!

Postby trickytree » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:23 pm

Hi folks and fellow golfers, we intend to meet up at Sliven GC around the 21st July.If you look at golf@golfbulgaria or golfclubairsofia you will see that they are offering 5 nights accom, inc brecky, 2 x range balls and if you aint got clubs, free hire clubs and 6 green fees for 310 leva. Maybe if we get enough interest we can knock off the club hire and bring the the deal down a bit. Maybe we can get enough interest to organise a comp, fiddle etc. PM myself or red if you're up for it, regards, Ian tt.

7RED
Super User!
Super User!

Postby 7RED » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:23 pm

Hi TT,

I will be in Sliven for the first 10 days in July and the last 10 days so count me in for the 21st.

Whilst I am there I will try to muster up support from the golf club to try to arrange a mini comp.

I'm sure that the other ex-pats who were at the last comp will turn up, I have there tele numbers and will call them when I am there.

A few other members have expressed interest in playing, Loz, Z man, Chaz to mention a few. Like TT said the club house/hotel is good value and for non players the pool should be frog free in July :lol:

So lets try to make a mini MyBg golf comp for the 21st July.

All non players free drinks at the bar 8O

7red

loz
Super User!
Super User!

Postby loz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:00 am

Is this a definite date? Just wondering if I should book a room at the hotel.
Loz

7RED
Super User!
Super User!

Postby 7RED » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:15 am

Hi Loz,

I should be driving back from Vlas on the 20th so for me the 21st is a go.

Like I said before I will be in Sliven from 1st/2nd up to the 10th and it will be no problem to reserve you a room.

Hi Sheepy,

Try to get down to the GC for the 21st, there should be between 8/12 of us there. It doesn't matter if you are a tad rusty what counts is having a good time 8)

keith??? :lol:

loz
Super User!
Super User!

Postby loz » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:26 am

Thanks Keith, I'll let you know about the room.
Loz

7RED
Super User!
Super User!

Postby 7RED » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:17 am

Hi,

Just to let you all know that there is now an official Sliven Golf Society, that meets up most Saturdays and every Sunday, on the last Sunday of every month there will be a monthly medal event held, here is an extract of last weeks report and at the end a contact address.

Golf Report 3

Five golfers participated in the Sunday Scramble 5 Ball, (USGA and R & A take note of this new format).

Notable comments worth including are Jack's doubt about Roy's handicap and similarly Roy's doubt about Jack's handicap. Needless to say, both were inputted into the programme with hand on heart in both cases. (Nope, the Star Bangled Banner was not being played). These handicaps are now set in stone until each person has played six rounds after which the system will update the individual handicaps from thence forward after every competition.

Local society rules adopted, and will be carried forward are as follows:

Fairway preferred lies – ball may be marked, lifted, cleaned and replaced within six inches, not nearer the hole.
Balls landing in the rough may be marked, lifted, cleaned and replaced within one club length not nearer the hole. If the one club length takes the ball into the fairway the six inch rule then applies.
All bunkers are GUR and the Sliven procedure is to drop the ball behind the bunker in direct line with the flag from the ball position in the bunker. Players have the choice of playing from the bunker if they wish. Balls dropped behind a greenside bunker will be recorded as 'Sand Saves', for stats purposes, (if the subsequent put is holed).
'Island' areas of rough within fairways containing new trees will be regarded as mandatory GUR from which play is not allowed. Relief may be taken without penalty, the ball being dropped within one club length of total relief from the GUR.
One Mulligan is allowed on the first tee.
Balls confirmed as 'lost' in the rough will be abandoned and a new ball will be put in play on the fairway adjacent to where the ball was deemed to be lost. Two penalty strokes will be added to the score for that hole. ( E.g. a ball lost off the tee, stroke one, will have two shots added to that stroke and the next stroke the player will take with the replacement ball, will be the fourth). In the case of balls seen to going OOB, a provisional ball will be played according to the rules.
Competition handicaps for 'outside' tournaments will be recorded on a separate system based on the monthly medal competitions and closer adherence to the rules of golf.

In the competition proper, it appears that it is a prerequisite for taking the money that you leave the area immediately and do not come back for a while, Keith and Steve please note. Malcolm T's accounting background makes him the only person capable of deciphering the various additional competitions of Skins and Snakes together with the main Stableford competition. It would appear that Keith or possibly Roy came out best on the side competitions and qualified for the drinks bill with Keith scooping the pot on the main competition with 41 points. He needs one more competition to reach six sets of stats when, without any doubt, his days of being a 26 handicapper will fade into distant memory. Good solid golf came again from Jack who is a mean competitor around and on the green. Roy and I failed to reach our 'accustomed' standards whereas, Malcolm, despite his accounting practices on the score card, put in a good level par performance.

The early start worked well both in regard to weather conditions and an earlier finish but we still seem to be getting too close to six hour golf for comfort. Almost certainly, ball searching in the rough takes up a lot of time but, until the course maintenance is upgraded and fairways opened out etc., we will probably have to live with it.

Attached is the PDF of the competition results. I hope to get more info on the 'Society' package this week and hopefully we can find a way of letting everyone have the programme and just email the backup files so that the stats are available in full detail for each individual.

Ian has expressed a wish to come down for the August medal and there is a general agreement that as many of the 'Sliven' golfers as possible will turn out on the Saturday before the medal competition in order to justify the effort Ian is making to come down. This is very much appreciated.

As a final point, any known golfers who are not currently playing here, should be invited to join us for the Sunday golf at every opportunity.

Thanks for a good day of golf.

slivengs@gmail.com

7RED
Super User!
Super User!

Postby 7RED » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:42 am

Hi,

Here is Sundays report from SGS.

Hi Golfers,

A good turnout of six golfers arrived for the August Stableford and it was good to see new faces in the field with the arrival of Noel Byrne, as a newcomer, and Malky B making it for the first time since we became a 'Society' proper. Which, on that note, gives me pleasure to inform everyone that they do sometimes work on a Sunday in UK, for the unlock code for the "Society Scoresaver" was waiting for me in the email when I arrived home. Cost, as discussed, was £69.00. So we are now legal and I do have the procedure from them as to how to restore the backup files. This, I believe, will allow me to send out the backup files by email after every competition result and stats have been entered, and each member will be able to view their own, (and everyone else's), stats at their leisure.

I will bring a copy of the programme, (English spelling Jack and Roy), on CD for everyone next Sunday. The programme is easy to use and has some good information on it already. As an interesting couple of examples, I can see that after five rounds of recorded stats that, personally:

I have never made par or better on the Par 3 - 2nd, the Par 4 - 7th, the Par 5 - 15th and the Par 3 - 17th.

My personal Stroke indexes for the course show that on these particular holes:

Hole 15 = SI – 1

Hole 7 = SI - 2

Holes 2 and 17 are both equal - SI 3 at the moment

We each will, thus, be able to identify where we get the most trouble or can expect it. There is a lot more in there to analyse and the information will become more accurate the more data we get on it.

On to the competition; the six competitors went off as two three balls with Mal T, Jack and myself going off first and Mal B, Nigel and Noel going off in the second. The format evolved as Nigel was only able to play nine holes due to personal commitments and the fact he came just for the nine holes must be applauded for it shows the kind of effort and support which will make the society a success.

The plan was, therefore, that after the ninth, Malky and Noel would join the first three and create a five ball thus making more money available for the first three to take off the second two. However, 'the best laid plans etc. etc.' went awry when the first three, with a weather eye open to the west, decided that they were too far in front to wait as the rain looked imminent. Mal T was also carrying a snake forward with, it appeared, very little likelihood of unloading it and the addition of two further players had the possibility of being expensive.

(Having applauded Nigel earlier above, there is a rumour in the clubhouse that he was up to date with the time scheduling of the weather forecast and had decided to leave after nine as he did not want to play the 15 th into the teeth of a gale and get his hair wet. This we shall resolve next week).

Moving on; by the time the first three reached the 16th, the heavens opened like a tropical monsoon and the opportunity to make the clubhouse at its closest point was too much to disregard. So, with the executive powers invested in him, the Secretary decided, in the interests of player safety, to cut the competition short and sprinted off in hot pursuit of Jack who had already made the same decision and was leading by almost 20 metres in the race to the clubhouse. Mal T, in the meantime, was trying to find his waterproofs at the bottom of the bag wondering, no doubt, where everyone had gone while Noel and Malky were somewhere in the grey wall approaching rapidly from the west.

Sanity reigned in the clubhouse with the exception of the young bar girl who managed to find a large towel for the Hon. Sec. and a flannel each for the rest of the soaked golfers. Mal B managed to resolve the matter while at the same time extending the young lady's English vocabulary.

As appears to be the norm with the Sliven GS, new faces took the podium with Malky, playing off 22, taking first place with 36 points, (computer adjusted), and Noel, off 20, taking the runners up position with 35 points. The Event Standard Scratch, due to the weather conditions, was 73, two over par, so Malky's 36 points was a good effort. In fact, the spread of points was 31 – 36, so everyone deserves a pat on the back for that is good scoring in such conditions and, more importantly, honest. Malky also had the added bonus of no-one being in the mood for spending his winnings.

The rain was long overdue and most welcome, especially for us country dwellers.

As a final point, it was generally agreed that every member pays a joining fee of Lev 40.00 to the society which will pay for the software and the excess balance can be utilised wherever the members decide. Mal T has been volunteered to act as Hon. Treasurer and he says he will keep the funds in a special envelope separate from the other money he has buried in the garden so it will not get mixed up.

It was also felt that the ladies would also be welcome into the competitions and their handicaps would be according to their playing level and Ladies Golf rules.

Attached are the competition results, congratulations again to Malky and many thanks to everyone for making it a good day.

Let us hope for another good turnout next Sunday.

Peter

If you would like to join then please don't hesitate to email Peter @
slivengs@gmail.com

7red

7RED
Super User!
Super User!

Postby 7RED » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:31 am

HI Swingers,

True to form the SGS turned out last Sunday and here is the report, (I would like to thank Peter for taking the time and effort)

BTW, if you are in the area (Sliven) and would like a game then just give me a shout and I will putt :lol: you in touch with somebody.

Golf Report 5 12th August, 2007-08-12

Mens and Ladies Grouse Season Stableford.

Nine golfers today, our largest turnout to date. A particular welcome extended to Ruth Ballantyne and Tony Kelly, both playing their first games in the society.

Ruth acquired her 36 handicap as a birthday present from the Society a couple of weeks ago, and Tony came in as a current 18 handicapper. Thanks to Noel for bringing Tony along.

Prior to the start of the competition, the Hon Treasurer, Malc T, managed to extract 40 Lev from each member, as their joining fee. Most paid up graciously, although Roy did try to pass off a 2 Lev note from the old communist regime which did not, however, deceive Hon Treasurer one bit who can recognise these instantly as he has a few of his own. For the record, Hon Sec was reimbursed 200 Lev for purchase of Society ScoreSaver for the society. It was generally agreed that the joining fee shall apply to every 'regular' golfer but not to golfers 'passing through' or casual visitors who may show up and are invited to join our competitions.

All members present were given copies of the Stats programme which, I am now pleased to say, we should be able to update by email attached to the weekly golf reports and thus always be bang up to date.

I have followed the general recommendations of all the players regarding the number of qualifying rounds for handicap adjustment, and set the programme to average the last three rounds played. This has been very beneficial to me in that I have had my handicap increased to 17.3 from 15, Jack, for example, stays the same and Roy's decrease!!!!! Is only 0.3 on this same basis. (Check it out by hitting 'Handicapping' at the bottom of the home page). However, if we take the handicapping figure as the average of the last 5 games, I stay the same, Jack gets reduced by 0.4 and Roy has not yet played enough rounds to qualify. As a further 'however', if we take the best 3 scores from the last 6 rounds played, I drop from a 15 handicap to an 11.7 handicap. I cannot give any further comparisons, for no other person has played enough qualifying rounds, (6), at the moment.

What I would therefore suggest, is that everyone goes into 'Set Up' at the bottom right of the home page, open up 'Handicapping' and play around with the bottom drop down list and see how it affects the various handicaps as we change the parameters. Then email me with your own personal recommendation as to which we should go for. We will then go with the majority.

As a note to this, to hit a constant winner, go for his best rounds as a basis for re-handicapping i.e. best 3 from 6. This allows a constant winner to have a couple of poor rounds and not claw shots back.

To increase handicaps for someone not playing well, the average of the last 3 rounds would be more appropriate.

It may also be more appropriate to stick with the last 3 scores until we have enough rounds logged to opt for one of the other handicapping parameters.

Let me have some feedback on this please.

Onto the competition proper.

It was decided that being nine players, playing 3 x 3 balls would not be appropriate for various reasons:

It would not generate enough winnings in the Snakes and Skins competitions as Malc T insisted that the effort he puts into scoring same is only worthwhile if the kitty is large
Noel and Tony, the youngest members, have not the legs to play a full round without a buggy so whoever played in their 3 ball would be very lonely
Malcolm and Ruth are still on honeymoon so cannot be separated, hence another lonely golfer in their 3 ball.

Common sense prevailed and the two pairs of inseparables played in a 4 ball and, despite 3 faxes and 22 emails from the R & A and USGA, Sliven Golf Society prevails in the 5 ball format.

What happened in the 4 ball has not yet been reported but the 5 ball was full of incidents.

Nigel set out like a greyhound from the traps setting is best ever front 9 of gross 45. (Again we think this is a weather factor in that he has figured out that if he hits more fairways and greens and uses fewer putts he can get back into the club house before it rains). Never the less, vanity or not, it was a great effort.

Roy's birdies on roll-over skins get trumped time after time by the rampant putter of Nigel, while Malc T quietly sneaks in the pars and the Hon Sec and Jack save the skins for the benefit, later, of others.

Another point of note is that Roy plays off two handicaps in the same competition, 9 in Society competitions and 7 when Malc T hasn't won for a while, as in today's competition, and Malc is doing the scoring. (R & A and USGA please note, another innovation from the Sliven GS).

The skins seemed to be split very fairly as usual with everyone claiming a skin except Hon Sec who hasn't won one for over two weeks. Maybe also today, Jack too may have failed to nail one.

The skins however paled into insignificance when, with climatic drama, the 'Snakes' reared their head with a total of nine being carried into the 18th by Jack who, contrary to all expectations, from a healthy position on the green, raced his approach putt 15 feet beyond the hole and well into three putt territory even by his high standards. Hon Sec, Malc T and Roy being within 10 feet of the hole with their approach shots and smug looks on their faces, waited to see whether Nigel would throw down the gauntlet as his putter had taken on a life of its own over the previous eight holes and he was lying a good 20 feet away. With the threat of imminent rain raising his pulse rate, and the rain bonnet being in the car, Nigel's putter stroked the ball up to the hole but, beyond belief, it failed to stop and, rather appropriately, snaked its way around the edge of the hole and carried on beyond for a further three feet. Jack by now is under great pressure for he stands to pay out 36 Lev if Nigel sinks his putt and Jack has never spent 36 Lev in one go in his whole life. However, it is Jack's honour, and in his hour of need, the putter runs true and he sinks the 15 footer. Jack can do no more, he is down in two. The spotlight swings onto Nigel. A three footer on the front nine was to Nigel as a six incher to a normal golfer but the back nine was a different story. With a four putt on the 13 th still in the memory and renegade raindrop targeting him at the start of his forward swing, he over hit it. A snake!

It is not the Hon Sec's role to describe a grown man crying so suffice to say the hand shakes were made and a great day was had by all, well most people.

Back in the club house the scores were tallied and despite a tremendous score of 40 points on his big handicap, Roy was pipped at the post by Malky with an even better 42 points to claim his second victory in two weeks. This week everyone stayed to boost the bar bill. Great golf from these two.

Other results show that the handicaps cannot be too far out for Jack, Noel, Malc T and Nigel all shot level par 36 points, the Hon Sec 34 and Tony a very creditable 31 points from his first trip around Sliven GC.

Not to be left out, Ruth must get a special mention for not only is this her first time with a 'proper' handicap but she also had the thrill of getting her first ever gross par at the 13 th, giving her a net Eagle. She also managed a further 4 net pars in her score of 31 points of which she scored 19 points on her 'back nine'. Well done Ruth.

A Sliven Ladies course has been set up on the system to cater for the ladies stats.

A nice ending to the day was that everyone who was able, opting to have a meal together at Windy Hill vinery straight from the golf course when the ladies from Stara Z came down to join up with their golfing partners.

For members who were unable to get down for today's competition, we all trust that these golf reports will help to keep you up to date with how your fellow golfing friends are getting on and we are all looking forward to seeing you down here at the next opportunity.

Thanks for making it a great day.

Peter

Return to “Golf in Bulgaria…and other sports!”