motor biking in Bulgaria

Discussion room for new/proposed golf courses and developments in Bulgaria…and for other related sporting activities, initiatives and chat.

Moderator: Moderator

barsteward
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

motor biking in Bulgaria

Postby barsteward » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:28 pm

as in motor biking, anyone out there a biker? ....what are the roads like?

I ride a Honda Super Blackbird here in blighty and would miss it terribly if I were to decide to make Bulgaria my home and wasn't able to ride.

thud
Just Bulgaria Magazine

Postby thud » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:34 pm

hi barsteward and welcome to the site

know todmorden well - is riggs garden centre still going strong ?

as for biking - we have a Honda CBR 1000 - a few years old now but having driven extensively in bulgaria wouldnt dream of taking it there - ok on the motorways but the potholes on the side roads have to be seen to be believed as does the general condition of some of the roads

we also have an old american motorhome with an electric winch and a platform for the bike on the back so have biked extensively in europe including a brilliant 6 day trip through the pyrenees but i think bulgaria is a challenge too far - even for bill !!

motorhome would be ok though as it weighs about 8 tonnes and not much argues with it

guess you could always hire the moto cross track at sevlievo :lol:

good luck whatever you decide
cheers kate

barsteward
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby barsteward » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:50 pm

Hi thud, thanks for the welcome.......I have a pub about a mile from Riggs and yes it's going from strength to strength and one of the major employers in the area now that the textiles have gone. Shame about the roads but must admit you only confirmed what I all ready expected :roll: looks like a Transalp then. :lol:

MadMax

Postby MadMax » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:42 pm

All though the roads are bad and Bulgarians drive on both sides of the roads to avoid potholes if you like the Cat and Fiddle run in Macclesfield/Buxton Bulgarian roads are a lot bendier. If you do try it at speed in Bg and survive you are either very lucky or brilliant, most likely you will be injured or worse :-(

MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:28 pm

The following posts had been added to a private ad about transporting a bike to BG. They have been moved here where they are more relevant. There are a few threads about 'motor biking' in Bulgaria. Please use the search facilities to find them using relevant key words.

Raveydaveygravey added:

You're pretty brave if you want to ride a bike on the BG roads mate.

Leedarkwood added:

One of my fondest memories of Bulgaria is of the two men on a motorbike near Velingrad one autumn day. The front one was driving the bike, the pillion riding passenger was holding on to the two scythes. These were arranged Boadica fashion, with the blades sweeping out on either side. The whole thing took up about three meters of road space. THAT is the way to ride a bike here!

Brianj42 added:

Something like a nice KTM or Enduro style I would say is fine, high riding position and long visibility. I actually ride a YZ250 Supermoto here. But then, I have ridden in Johannesburg and India so have learnt to expect the unexpected. Here there is very little motorbike culture so car drivers are not atuned to bikes in the least and they do come at you from all angles. WIDE berths all the time. I certainly wouldn't ride a sports bike here.

I have taken a few wing mirrors off in the past in retaliation.

Moscow_Wolf added:

I'm looking forward to getting on my GS 650 Dakar once the weather is warmer and drier, but I still have to get it to Sofia first if I want the dealer stamp in the service book.

ABCPropertySurveyors
<b>Transport Services</b>

Bikes in bg

Postby ABCPropertySurveyors » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:59 pm

As an ex uk bike rider,a blackbird being one of my ex bikes i suggest if living in bg buy a 4 stroke road registered dirt bike such as a wr450, a buggy such as a honda pilot or rage.there are not the off road restrictions that you have in the uk so you can go from village to village off road (the odd beer en-route is good too).it's great fun and you see much more than you do from the road.don't touch quads as the tracks can be a bit rutty.

KLR650

Bikes in bg

Postby KLR650 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:48 am

Hi everyone.

I am thinking riding UK to Bourgas this spring on my KLR650 single, 4-stroke monster. Is anyone out there would like to join, please send me pm.
In a group we can share tools and spares. One more incentive riding to BG, there is no road tax on the bikes there.

cdt

biking in bulgaria.mmmm

Postby cdt » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:13 pm

hi all.
first of all.i am not a biker but have had a few biker pubs and love the life.am looking at sorting that out at the mo.i have lived in bulgaria for 3 yrs now and my mate has a blackbird,we go to a lot of the bike rallies here as as my mate although english is in one of the bike clubs here.thewy are brill people and the rallies great and cheap.the biggest one being the vt rally.there are now rallies every 2 weeks or so somewhere in bulgaria.the roads are definately getting better.i am pillion and i do ok.not to much of a problem.the main sofia to varna highway is fine lot of work done.my mate loves his bike and wouldnt put his baby through to much pain.but we will be out on it all summer.(unless i buy a bike learn more bulgarian and take a test.mmmmm)but in all seriousness it is good biking here.dont be put off.and if anyone wants to come to any of the rallies i can try and post dates and places.so you can arrange your trip around them.

Trail-Ride-Bulgaria

Off Road Motorbiking

Postby Trail-Ride-Bulgaria » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:50 am

Hi we run www.trailride-bulgaria.com KTM OFF ROAD
The biking out here is great unrestricted come try on one of my EXC.
Jim

Return to “Golf in Bulgaria…and other sports!”