Fishing for Crayfish

Discussion room for new/proposed golf courses and developments in Bulgaria…and for other related sporting activities, initiatives and chat.

Moderator: Moderator

murun
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Fishing for Crayfish

Postby murun » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:40 pm

Does any one know if the american signal crayfish has made it to Bulgaria yet, I know its a pest in this country, and has it decimated the indigenous species. I just wondered if there ever was any indigenous Bulgarian cray fish in the rivers.

bevanddave

Postby bevanddave » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:03 pm

Hi Murun
There are crayfish in the rivers of BG, saw some earlier this year.
This site shows some the indigenous species
http://iz.carnegiemnh.org/crayfish/coun ... lgaria.dam
Bev

Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:46 am

Hi Murun.

There are crayfish in abundance in BG.
The BG name is Rak or Ratzi (crab or crabs) and they are a very popular dish.
The lake in front of our house holds a good stock and they are very tasty.
They're not the American Signal Crayfish but are similar in size, i.e. 3 or 4 times the size of the native UK Crayfish.
Try catching a few of the Signals, you may find you like 'em.

Slaps.

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:54 pm

Good grief, the search facility WORKS. :lol:

I know that there are Crayfish native to Bulgaria and was wondering if they appear in fresh water streams or, if you can actually breed the things?

Never seen one in my freshwater stream, just frogs and tortoises, but was thinking of making a pool and breeding some. Any ideas on here first, before I go Google.

Cheers.

PosabinaPete

Postby PosabinaPete » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:08 am

Hi MW. We have hundreds of the little b--gers. I say little but they are between 4 and 7 inches and will grow to over a foot. I hate them, they steal your bait and you think you have caught a big fish and all you pull out is a crab. But in their defence they do taste great

ABCPropertySurveyors
<b>Transport Services</b>

Crayfish

Postby ABCPropertySurveyors » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:08 am

How are poeple fishing these? With a crab line?

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:11 am

PosabinaPete wrote:Hi MW. We have hundreds of the little b--gers. I say little but they are between 4 and 7 inches and will grow to over a foot. I hate them, they steal your bait and you think you have caught a big fish and all you pull out is a crab. But in their defence they do taste great

Are these Crayfish in a lake, river or stream? I was under the impression that folk fished for them using pots and they are really tasty but look ghastly before they go all nice and pink when boiled.

At least I know now that they do exist for real and not just on some fish poster in a restaurant showing what freshwater fish are native to Bulgaria. :wink:

ABCPropertySurveyors
<b>Transport Services</b>

Crayfish

Postby ABCPropertySurveyors » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:25 pm

We have a river that they fill the 3 fishing lakes from.There are hundreds of the things in there.The villagers won't eat them.They give them to their cat's!

PosabinaPete

Postby PosabinaPete » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:09 pm

The crayfish are in our lake, but the lake is feed by two streams and many springs. We also use pots to catch them. The locals love them and pay up to 8 lev each. M W you must boil them live and not over cook them. Take them out off the pan just as they start to turn pink and then let them stand.

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:31 pm

PosabinaPete wrote:The crayfish are in our lake, but the lake is feed by two streams and many springs. We also use pots to catch them. The locals love them and pay up to 8 lev each. M W you must boil them live and not over cook them. Take them out off the pan just as they start to turn pink and then let them stand.

Do you physically see them crawling/swimming about in the stream/lake or do they stay under the mud? I might have them, but never seen them as I don't really know where to look. My stream is only about a metre wide and probably only about 10-15 centimetres deep, but flows quite nicely and is mainly spring water which then feeds the lake further down. I've never heard mention about them from the guards and folk that rented this lake, but there again, I never asked.

Last question, where did you get your pots or did you make them? I guess I could just lay one in the stream and see what it catches.

The first time I had them fresh, somebody brought me a bag of them from the Volga River and I had been so drunk that I just put them in the fridge and forgot about them. Next day, I was interested to see what was in the bag and was shocked to see these ugly live brownish/grey things crawling about. They looked much better after going pink in the boiling salted water.

Ray Mears the survival expert was 'pushing his knife' into the back of their necks to 'humanely' kill them before dropping his into the boiling pot. I'll decide my method when/if I ever catch one of the damned things. :lol:

Return to “Golf in Bulgaria…and other sports!”