Fishing for Crayfish

Discussion room for new/proposed golf courses and developments in Bulgaria…and for other related sporting activities, initiatives and chat.

Moderator: Moderator

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:47 pm

Moscow_Wolf wrote:Ray Mears the survival expert was 'pushing his knife' into the back of their necks to 'humanely' kill them before dropping his into the boiling pot. I'll decide my method when/if I ever catch one of the damned things. :lol:

"ONE of the damned things"? I see you have a full-scale banquet in mind! :lol:

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:19 pm

Seedy wrote:
Moscow_Wolf wrote:Ray Mears the survival expert was 'pushing his knife' into the back of their necks to 'humanely' kill them before dropping his into the boiling pot. I'll decide my method when/if I ever catch one of the damned things. :lol:

"ONE of the damned things"? I see you have a full-scale banquet in mind! :lol:

Well, if they can grow as large as one foot in length, that is a fair sized meal and don't forget, I have to save room for my snails in garlic butter which are still baking down in Chit Chat. :wink:

PosabinaPete

Postby PosabinaPete » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:02 am

The crayfish blend in with the mud and are very hard to see but, sometimes you can see them on the shingle. The pots came with the lake but are home made. I have seen them for sale at Popovo market. As for a knife in the back of the neck, I don't know maybe just for tv?

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:20 am

PosabinaPete wrote:The crayfish blend in with the mud and are very hard to see but, sometimes you can see them on the shingle. The pots came with the lake but are home made. I have seen them for sale at Popovo market. As for a knife in the back of the neck, I don't know maybe just for tv?

Many thanks for your input Pete (and the others), if you get chance, would you please take a photograph of a POT and put it in your gallery. I would imagine that they'd be made from local Hazel sticks or something, but a picture paints a thousand words.

Cheers.

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:24 am

images of commercial pots can be found here:-
http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&su ... 55&bih=840

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:50 am

spantrout wrote:images of commercial pots can be found here:-
http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&su ... 55&bih=840

Cheers. The simplest one 'caught' my eye and should be worth a try as there are loads of plastic water containers in Bulgaria.

Might give this one a try: -

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44015&page=1

Andyol

Crayfish

Postby Andyol » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:28 pm

Crayfish!

The best tasting free food you could ever get. Not sure about the water quality here in BG but I would purge them first in good clean water and give them nothing to eat, same for snails. You never know what they have eaten!

I used to "clean" my crayfish in my bath and thats why I am single at the moment.

As kids, we used to go out hauling up British native crayfish to eat on left over bacon rind attached to bailing twine! Now it is all rainbow trout and signals, which are very tasty but alas no natives left anymore in Northamptonshire.

More to the point or the thread.

How to catch/attract a crayfish?

M_WY if you want to see if there any in your stream then spend some time there with a bit of string and a chewed up bit of a chicken wing left over from a BBQ. They like deep banks where they can borrow about but also need highly mineraletd water. Not sure of the water around you but they love calcium!

One secret about of crayfish. They love bananas! It's true. To save on bait get some dehydrated banana from your health food shop and bait them with that. I have caught more than I have ever needed with a dried banana in an old sock!

They can't resist it and you can re-use the bait over and over again

Happy hunting and all the best

Andy

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Cheers Andy, guess I'd have to darn some socks first. :lol: I was down in my marshland come winter swamp today planting trees and had a closer look at my stream. Not really a spade's depth and although one can sink a spade into the stream bed, it is like loam, it doesn't look like clay, but I have to work out if digging it out to a better depth might destroy any ecology there.

Lots of stuff growing in the clear water including a type of watercress and in some places Reeds. Going to be a big job clearing out a couple hundred metres by hand and I doubt I can do it before it all goes wild again and the Mosquitoes and Flies takeover. Still, every year brings a little more progress.

Just would like to find what nature provides and use it to mine and it's benefit.

PosabinaPete

Postby PosabinaPete » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:38 pm

Hi M W. I took soma photos today of the crayfish we caught in a pot with sweet corn, but my partner pulled 2 out just using garden worm. Sorry will post the pictures tomorrow.

Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:02 pm

You can pick up a Crayfish net at a tackle shop for about 10 lev. They're cylindrical nets wrapped round what looks like a big spring with funnel like entrances at either end.
Attach a bit of string to the net which, in deeper, still water, should be tied to a largish float - plastic bottle. In shallow or moving water, fix the string to the bank somehow. Stick a bit of meat in the net, left over fat/chicken carcass stuff like that, and drop it into the water near some growth. - reeds, etc. Wait a day or two and if there are crays in the water, you'll get some.
If the crays have eggs which you will find on the underside near the tail, replace them in the water. They'll taste crap and you'll also ensure future stocks.
Place your crays in clean water for 24 hours to flush.
To remove the digestive tract prior to cooking, at the tail of the cray there is a fan shaped end made up of what looks like 3 big scales. The middle bit of this fan shaped end is attached to the digestive system. Twist it gently and pull. You should end up with what looks like a bean sprout attached to a scale. Ditch that bit, cook the rest.
To cook, salt up some water and bring to the boil. Drop the crays into the boiling water, add a bit of beer to the water. In less than 10 minutes, you'll have a feast which is a perfect accompaniment to a pint or two of beer.
Be aware, if you have a nickle allergy, you'll get a reaction. Sickness and the trots. Dunno how you know you have a nickle allergy, but you will if you do! I guess.

Return to “Golf in Bulgaria…and other sports!”