Fishing for Crayfish

Discussion room for new/proposed golf courses and developments in Bulgaria…and for other related sporting activities, initiatives and chat.

Moderator: Moderator

1abroad

Postby 1abroad » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:22 am

Well Pete has just gone to the lake with worms, so I guess its cray fish for tea tonight :roll: again!!!!!

AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Wed May 18, 2011 7:56 pm

Right i am dying to go fishing for Crayfish, ive seen the post in the wholesaler i use in Burgas (next to the welding shop MW) and wondered where to put them.

Living near Burgas we have:

Fresh Water Lakes

Fresh Water Streams

Fresh Water Rivers

Being one more interested in the eating than the "sport" id like to get down to the actual catching straight away so can someone give me an idea of the best place to start with the pots??

In eager anticipation I await.............

Simonita
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Simonita » Wed May 18, 2011 8:35 pm

Like crabbing, a bit of bacon tied on the end of a piece of string and you'll be fighting them off.

Have also tried it the other way round (using crabs as bait to get some decent bacon) but doesn't seem to work as well. :lol:

AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Wed May 18, 2011 8:43 pm

Right

My ignorance over crayfish fishing can not be overestimated, are these things like the frogs in my pool (every ware - "like shooting frogs in a pool") or do i have to look for a "spot", running water or still or does if not matter a jot.

Sorry - i do coarse fishing quite well but invertebrates ive no idea.

AB

AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Fri May 20, 2011 1:53 pm

FYO

Crayfish pots 7 leva each in Burgas.

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Fri May 20, 2011 2:24 pm

primarily you should establish what water courses actually contain your intended prey, a lake would be the easiest, running water is not a problem either, if you know that both contain crayfish just plop your pots somewhere and wait a few hours, in the meantime, start a fire, get your pan of water on it and send me an invite.

all the best

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Fri May 20, 2011 3:47 pm

I'm sorry to say that after digging channels to allow my stream to flow better and drain the swamp somewhat, I have seen nothing more than frogs and the odd water tortoise down there so far. :(

Still, I have future plans to excavate some kind of pool down there and maybe, I can introduce some live ones in there.

Simonita
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Simonita » Fri May 20, 2011 3:53 pm

If we're talking Signals, they'll find you MW! In our local (UK) canal, I have seen them climbing the walls of locks, and crossing the tow path to get to some flooded gravel pits a couple of hundred metres off.

Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Fri May 20, 2011 5:26 pm

[quote="AngloBulgarian"]

Being one more interested in the eating than the "sport" id like to get down to the actual catching straight away so can someone give me an idea of the best place to start with the pots??

In eager anticipation I await.............[/quote]

First things first.
Who owns the fishing rights to the waters you've identified?
Most lakes/reservoirs have riparian, if not full, owners. They'll probably get a bit peed off were you to pop along and plonk your nets in their waters without their permission.
If no-one owns the rights then feel free, but, I wouldn't expect my nets to be where I placed them the following day. Unless of course you stay with the nets.

Dependant upon size of individual Crayfish, they can command more than 16 lev per kilo wholesale. i.e. a valuable crop to the owner.

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Fri May 20, 2011 5:39 pm

Slaphead wrote:
AngloBulgarian wrote:

In eager anticipation I await.............

Most lakes/reservoirs have riparian, if not full, owners.

This is a new Bulgarian word for me, what does it mean? I've been calling the renters of our local lake the Arendetarur or close to that. Is your word some gamekeeper type?

Return to “Golf in Bulgaria…and other sports!”