Bulgaria will be world class golf destination

Discussion room for new/proposed golf courses and developments in Bulgaria…and for other related sporting activities, initiatives and chat.

Moderator: Moderator

owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:54 am

eureka wrote:Who are the 47 golfers chosen to represent their respective countries?
Have they already been chosen, and have their names been released?

If this tournament consisted of the finest golfers in the region,I'm sure the list of entrants is easy to find :wink:

This tournament does raise some awareness but it's nothing more than a small amateur handicapped event. You'd see better golf at your local golf course on a Saturday morning.

You only have to look at the Bulgarian 'A' Team, they consisted of Emil Markov (4Hcp), Peter Kaloyanov (4Hcp), Lyubomir Kostov(9Hcp).
You can check their scores at last years BGA Open:
http://www.golfbg.com/en/preview.php?id=46

Then you have the Bulgarian "B" Team , they consisted of Stanko Marinov, Stefan Georgiev, Emil Kaloyanov,the lowest Handicap of these is 11.

I also didn't say they were chosen for their wealth but as Golf is a game only for the wealthy across the Balkans,it doesn't take much to understand the sort of tournament this was. :roll:
As I said, it's just the usual European Golf Association & Bulgarian Golf Association elitist buddies having a free weekend of Golf and a P**s Up.

The real purpose of these events isn't to show the quality of Golf in the Balkans, it's to show the R&A that the Bulgarian Golf Association is capable of organising a Golf Event and it is a start towards further promotion of the Courses here so there are some possitive aspects to this.

But IMO, the Bulgarian Golf Association doesn't do hardly enough to raise awareness or promote the game of Golf to the average Bulgarian. With membership fees of even the low quality Bulgarian Golf courses costing more than the Celtic Manor Resort, it will be a very long time before the average Bulgarian is vaguely interested in the sport.

Boyo

Postby Boyo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:22 pm

I see this forum is once again overrun by the neg heads who find enjoyment in talking down anything good that is happening in Bulgaria, when are you all going to realise that Kavarna/Balchik now have three golf courses that would compare favorably with those in Spain or Portugal,I visited all three in May and my humble opinion as somebody who has been a golf club member in the UK for over 40 years is that all three are very good, but Thracian Cliffs is spectacular, I would recommend that all you nag heads play it now, because it will be exclusive and very expensive within 5 years.
So come on folks if you dislike Bulgaria so much come on home to the good old British weather.

Below are the membership fee's for the 2010 course at Celtic Manor;
Joining Fee - £3,000
+
Annual Subscription - £3,000
Boyo

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:43 pm

Boyo wrote: Thracian Cliffs is spectacular, I would recommend that all you nag heads play it now, because it will be exclusive and very expensive within 5 years.

Does you have prices for a round here ?

I take it that you can just turn up and play without membership ?

Their website is very non descript when it comes to pricing.

Thanks

B

loz
Super User!
Super User!

Postby loz » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:58 pm

40,000 (yes, forty thousand) Euro membership fee for non residents.

http://www.visitbulgaria.net/en/golf_co ... _Course-6/

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:04 pm

Gosh, thats slightly more than Celtic Manor, it must really be a good course for that. I think I'll wait for the prices to come down.

With the average wage in BG being around €1500 a year that should keep the peasants off the course. But I suppose they will be allowed to carry bags and clean the golfers balls (That should please Tiger)

:lol:

Turn up and play pricing ?

loz
Super User!
Super User!

Postby loz » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:17 pm

BlackSeaRama non member fee 75Euro per round.

Bottom of page 12
http://www.air.bg/uf/files/54.pdf

AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:21 pm

loz wrote:40,000 (yes, forty thousand) Euro membership fee for non residents.

http://www.visitbulgaria.net/en/golf_co ... _Course-6/

WTF

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks Loz.

Nice to see the BlackSeaRama membership fee is only €25,000, a little cheaper than Thracian @ €40,000. I may see if they have a discount for the two together and where the nearest landing strip is for my private jet :lol:

AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:44 pm

Serious question - is there anywhere in BG i can get a round of golf for a sensible price??? Or should i just put the clubs on Private and Personal Ads???

The_General

Postby The_General » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:58 pm

It is a shame that the courses are still holding out for the high fees, they really need to establish themselves and have people playing to be able to become successful. Although I have not played them, I have been to the courses several times and they do look fantastic, particularly Thracian Cliffs which was always going to be the best as the location and land was always the best.

These courses have the potential to attract a lot of people to this area and I am sure that it will become popular, it just depends how long they hold out at the prices as they will struggle to break into the market for golf trips at current prices.

The normal reality is that it is only the third or fourth owners who really make money from a golf course so it may take some time.

I understand that there may have been a large amount of money available to help with building these courses and so the owners may not be in the poor position of other start up courses but with the costs involved with maintaining such courses they will want to have money coming in fairly soon so I am sure deals will start appearing. Can't wait for when they do and will definately plan a trip there rather than to the packed out courses in The Algarve.

Return to “Golf in Bulgaria…and other sports!”