Bulgaria will be world class golf destination

Discussion room for new/proposed golf courses and developments in Bulgaria…and for other related sporting activities, initiatives and chat.

Moderator: Moderator

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:06 pm

OK. I finally got my pricing to play at Thracian Cliffs, and I must admit it does look a stunning course.

For one week

Flights to Varna £350
Accomodation in a STUDIO apartment at the resort £1145
5 days Golf £600
Meals, Taxis etc etc £200

So for two of us its £4590

For 5 days golf....Bargain :?

BUT !!!!!! I will save £300 on the price of the golf if I take out a €40,000 membership. I asked them to let me think about that one

Win the Eurolottery tonight and this baby's mine

owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:34 am

Boyo wrote: Below are the membership fee's for the 2010 course at Celtic Manor;
Joining Fee - £3,000
+
Annual Subscription - £3,000
Boyo

Yes, those fees are for the "Twenty Ten Course" membership. A Golf Course that was the host for the Ryder Cup and the 2010 Welsh Open(part of the European Tour). A World Famous Golf Course on a World re-knowned Resort, good value I think.
You could also select to take the "Championship Club Membership" which gives you access to 2 World class Golf Courses-"The Roman Road" & "Montgomerie" . Joining fees & annual subscription from £750 to £1200

Now look at the Daily Green Fees,the "Twenty Ten" is expensive due to it's quality and fame but "The Roman Road" & "Montgomerie" are reasonably priced which attracts golfers from all over the World:
http://www.celtic-manor.com/download.aspx?type=cms&docID=3252

Now look at St Sofia Golf Prices. In my opinion the course here is no better than a good Municipal Course in the U.K. but to play here you have to pay more than you would at the Championship Courses of Celtic Manor:
http://www.stsofiagolf.com/uf/APPLICATION_FORM_2010_EN.pdf
http://www.stsofiagolf.com/uf/Prices_2010.pdf

This isn't a case of being a "Neg-Head".The new couses here are very good but they need to compete with thousands of other good courses around the World for business. Why would someone decide to pay a lot more just to come to Bulgaria ??
What i am negative about is the access the average Bulgarian has to the game..none at all. It's just my opinion, but I think everyone should be able to enjoy the game of golf but this game is only for the rich here and the members of the BGA prefer it that way. 2 weeks salary to play 1 round of golf insures that :wink:

AngloBulgarian wrote:Serious question - is there anywhere in BG i can get a round of golf for a sensible price??? Or should i just put the clubs on Private and Personal Ads???

I suppose it depends on what you think is sensible. To play on the very mediocre courses of St.Sofia,Sliven & Ihtiman, you can expect to pay between 30 to 50 Euros.
To Play on the new Resort Courses (Thracian,Lighthouse,Blacksearama,Pravets,Pirin) you can expect to pay between 55 to 90 Euros.
These are the sort of daily fees you'd expect in Balkan Countries but if you want to look for a package golf holiday, I think that Turkey has a lot more to offer.

AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:54 am

I am seriously the worlds worst golfer, i am so far beyond even bad its untrue - however i do enjoy the 4 hours peace and quiet and the exercise (when you as bad as me there is A LOT of exercise ). I am never going to even achieve the dizzy heights of "BAD" and i dont let it bother me, i just enjoy the day out. So €30 is ok but €90 is a lot to pay especially on top of the 24 balls ill have to buy!!! - :lol:

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:56 am

....and big chunks of Thracian Cliffs have fallen into the sea. Wrong type of sand apparently...

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:00 am

Mat wrote:....and big chunks of Thracian Cliffs have fallen into the sea. Wrong type of sand apparently...

I wonder if the rules give you a free drop ball if the whole green suddenly dissapears into the Black Sea :lol:

football

Postby football » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:04 am

Owain.Youve just confirmed what ive been saying for 2 years.(if you read previous emails|).There loosing a fortune and halting the growth of the game,by GREED .As youve seen in "credit crisis"whether it be banking(Northen rock,Bank of Scotland),High streets(Waterstones,Woolworths)and especially governments(Ireland,GreecePortugal),thers too many people in management,who dont know how to run/develop a business intelligently and the management of Bulgarian golf courses are another good example.

owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:22 am

I agree Football. Bulgaria does have the opportunity to become a World Class Golf destination and it's a greedy and badly managed business here....But,as a Bulgarian would say with a shrug of the shoulders, "What do you expect? This is Bulgaria" :roll: :lol:

AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:34 am

The whole concept of "managing a business" appears to be very - shall we say, underdeveloped in BG. The concept that good staff sell more product than sh*t ones who sit on there ar*e all day playing with there mobile phones and ignoring customers has yet to sink in.

The owners will be damned if there going to cut into there "profit margin" to pay for better staff of lower prices for customers (they might have to go without a new CL 63 AMG - OMG!!) the logical extension that these actions will improve the profit of the business is - apparently - absent. This appears to be true from golf courses to jewelry stands..........

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:55 am

I love my golf and used to play 5 times a week when I lived in South Africa (Crap at it though).

I'm just not sure I would make Bulgaria a full weeks golfing unless someone was to organise a different course each day, whistlestop scenario, and then the real downside is the cost when you compare the thousands it would cost against what you can get for the same money eslewhere.

Pound for pound I could play in Florida, South Africa, Caribbean, even Australia when you are talking £2000 all told.

I think it would take a lot of convincing to swap a Caribbean golf trip for a Bulgarian one.......Unless money was not an object which is maybe what they are "hoping" for

AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:07 pm

India can see the light but BG is still in the dark..........

"There's a mix of people training and teeing off here at India's national golf academy.

Middle-aged executives mingle with mothers, teenagers with tournament professionals - all perfecting their swing before taking a shot.

They're here united by their passion for golf, a game growing in popularity in India.

"Golf has moved from being a social status to a sport," says Jessie Grewal, India's top golfing coach.
Jessie Grewal coaches at the National Golf Academy in Chandigarh Top Indian golf coach Jessie Grewal offers training to all age groups

"We have a whole different section of society coming into golf, people from non-golfing backgrounds."

The sport is opening up to those on lower incomes, says Mr Grewal, thanks to the availability of subsidised green rates and public golf courses."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14018343

Return to “Golf in Bulgaria…and other sports!”