Bulgaria will be world class golf destination

Discussion room for new/proposed golf courses and developments in Bulgaria…and for other related sporting activities, initiatives and chat.

Moderator: Moderator

dazza
<b>Property Sales/Building Services</b>

Postby dazza » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:46 am

Me too.It's very easy to fall in love with the place.

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:23 am

I know nothing about golf, however…

I think that we are talking "major golf centre" as opposed to "centre of major golf courses".

There are many, many golf courses in the 'northern Mediterranean equivalent' zone across the US and Canada that are good courses and have good attendance.

I just had a look at the list of top 100 golf courses in Canada (of course, given my knowledge of golf that might equate to the bottom 100 in the world but I doubt it) and I can tell at a glance that there are very few near major airports. Sure, the best one, St George's, in Etobicoke, is only 6km from Toronto international airport but of the top 15 public courses in Ontario very few, if any of them, are near a major airport.

The population of Ontario is approx. twice that of Bulgaria. The land mass is 9 times, which implies a much higher population density in BG. However, I know that there are vast swathes of unpopulated areas in Ontario so, if you say that the population is spread across 1/5th of the land mass, that then implies a similar density to BG.

There are 471 (places with) golf courses in Ontario and there are 13 airports (not major international airports, thirteen airports with scheduled flights) serving that area that is 10 times the size of BG.

A, albeit quick, search shows six golf courses in BG (one in Ruse, with no airport), there may be more but, I think, it certainly demonstrates that the country can support more. Whether it could ever be a “major golf centre” is a moot point and I would probably say no.

You could say, with half the population, we could support 235 golf courses or with 1/9th of the area we could support 52 golf courses. If you were rude, you could say that with 1% of the initiative we can’t support any more.

Having said all that, there are probably a lot of other factors that determine the viability of golf courses but, again, I don’t think winter snow or the lack of an airport, going by Ontario as an example, are that much of a problem.

dazza

Postby dazza » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:28 am

I think you are missing the point.99% of Bulgarians dont have the money or the interest to play golf.There are only 200 golfers in Sofia for example.The industry is reliant on golf tourism to succeed.Granted though there will be increased local interest in the sport as Bulgaria gets wealthier.But I still think its 'a good walk spoiled' !

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:37 am

Lol, if the point keeps changing I'm sure to miss it.

I thought the point was the amount of snow or was it the lack of airports?

Lack of interest is a good point. I'm not going to argue with that.

dazza

Postby dazza » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:40 am

If you want golf tourism the punters have to have a way to get there !

Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:31 am

I don't play golf either but somebody on another thread on this forum posted that tha charges for a round are ridiculously high and they refused to pay that much ,and that there was hardly anybody playing on the courses they visited ; hardly the way to try and build up Bulgaria as a golfing destination .
Tim.

Pirol
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Pirol » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:52 am

dazza wrote:I think you are missing the point.99% of Bulgarians dont have the money or the interest to play golf.

Very optimistic. Would mean 1% of all Bulgarians have the money and/or the interest - approximately 80000 people?! Maybe you mean 99,99%? :wink:

Besides, don´t forget: The purpose of the Golf Courses probably wasn´t to "build up Bulgaria as a golfing destination".

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:27 pm

Another golf story.

Sheikhs to Play Golf in a Bulgarian Village
Businessmen from Bahrain to build a luxury golf complex in Pepelina

Arab sheiks plan to play golf in a Bulgarian village with just eight villagers. Businessmen from Bahrain intend to invest millions in Pepelina, which is the smallest village in the Danubian Russe district. The business project includes a hotel and a golf course, told deputy-mayor Ivan Velkov.
A business delegation from Bahrain has already visited the village and looked around to find the best site for the golf course. The delegation has made a tour in Bulgaria searching for a suitable terrain, but has returned to Pepelina village.
The locality of Pepeina is situated in Lom river valley and is unusually picturesque. Its proximity to Bucharest with its two airports is another plus.
If the project is to be realized, golf fans will use charter flights to Romania's capital and from there it is only 60 km to Russe.
Pepelina's villagers hope the golf complex to make the place not only a tourist attraction, but to attract settlers in the smallest village in the district.
Families from Great Britain, Scotland and even the USA visit Pepelina from time to time.
Standart news.

growler
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby growler » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:38 pm

My son played BSR on the sunday 19/07/09 in a competion 20euros for the comp and 20euros for hire of clubs he had a great time shot 3 under his handicap of 9 and came 12th and a free lunch after about 60 entered results are on there web site great experince to play on a course of that standard.

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:06 am

Just saw a CNN “Living Golf” item on golf in Bulgaria. "From" Bulgaria but they only spent about five minutes in a 25 minute session discussing golf here. It will probably be repeated many times as most of their items usually are.

Overheard comments (as I was not paying that much attention)..

“Golf represents a changing philosophy and mood for this country”

“They see it as a vital way of promoting the country”

They did confirm the “200 players” in an 8 million population.

Player seemed gung ho but I guess that was because he was involved in the latest course, in Varna. Certainly seemed like an excellent ambassador.

Return to “Golf in Bulgaria…and other sports!”