Bulgaria will be world class golf destination

Discussion room for new/proposed golf courses and developments in Bulgaria…and for other related sporting activities, initiatives and chat.

Moderator: Moderator

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:00 am

The 'Spin Merchants" have been busy again with press releases. Today's "Trud" carried the story, quoting Gary Player and the real mover behind the project, Bulgarian opinion pollster and investor, Kuncho Stoichev.

Boyo

Postby Boyo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:25 pm

Time fly's
was it three years ago that Scot, who is otherwise the font of Bulgaria knowledge insisted these Golf Courses will never be built,however they are built and Blacksearama was voted best new course in the World for 2009,Surely now is the time for positive comments to help the recovery of the Bulgarian tourist and real estate industry's, and not unjustified negatives.
Boyo

theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:46 am

Boyo wrote: Blacksearama was voted best new course in the World for 2009

Which organization gave this award???? :?

mike4727
<b>Property Management</b>

Postby mike4727 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:54 am

Kavarna Tourist Board ? :lol:

Mike

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:10 am

The "Award" was from Golf Inc Magazine.

"Who?" did I hear you say? :wink:

To quote them "Golf Inc. is the world's leading brand for golf course developers, owners and management company executives. We cater to the largest operators, and the highest-end resorts, golf communities and developers."

For the paltry sum of 264 Euros a year 8O , you can have this quarterly "magazine" - yep, 66 Euros a shot! -gracing your boardroom to impress the suckers (oops, I mean "punters" :oops: ) Alternatively, you paupers can read it for free on their website: http://www.golfincmagazine.com

If Blacksearama have to stoop THAT low to show how good they are, then maybe the battle is already over......

Boyo

Postby Boyo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:33 pm

"Oh my god" all the neg heads have come out, determined to have a go at anybody outrageous enough to say something positive about Bulgaria.
I can just hear you all in whatever neg head bar you all frequent saying (How dare he say something good about the country we all bought property in.

Boyo

Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:35 am

Can you hear yourself Boyo ? It's like saying Wales (and i was born there) will be a World class golfing destination ! Wales actually has some great courses and is gonna host the Ryder Cup but it doesn't exactly have the tourist razzamatazz to go with it , now does it ! As for Bulgaria , a few overpriced courses , little interest , and lots of better altertnative options . I can't see bulgaria as world class , not this century at least . Tim .

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:40 am

Boyo wrote:"Oh my god" all the neg heads have come out, determined to have a go at anybody outrageous enough to say something positive about Bulgaria.
I can just hear you all in whatever neg head bar you all frequent saying (How dare he say something good about the country we all bought property in.

Boyo

Definitely an overactive imagination at work there, Boyo!

Let's get one, irrelevant, thing straight first - I love Bulgaria and considerably more so than many Bulgarians I know and I have no idea what or where the "neg head bars" you refer to are. The comments are hardly "negative" but simply putting the reord straight about the indeed outrageous "Blacksearama was voted best new course in the World for 2009". In any event, I imagine that people voicing their sceptical opinions about golf in Bulgaria on this forum will have about as much an effect on the putative flood of golfers heading here as your "positive" vibes will seriously "help the recovery of the Bulgarian tourist and real estate industry's".

However, a few golf courses, however good-ish they may be, doesn't make a "world-class golfing destination" and especially not when combined with the comparative handful of "real" golfers here. For Blacksearama to publicise this "award" is about on a par ( :wink: ) with the UK Indian restaurants who proudly display "certificates" from paid-for-insertion "Good Food Directories".

No-one can blame them for trying to get more people in and to raise their own profile, but world-class golf in BG is a fairway ( :lol: ) off yet....

scanniaman
Penny Pincher

Postby scanniaman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:36 am

Hi, it is clearly obvious that the major factor behind the lack of use of these courses near Kavarna is the cost to play.No one is concerned about anything else except how it effects their pocket. Access is fine and they're only 60km from Varna airport along the main highway. There's a very nice restaurant on each site although I haven't eaten there myself I understand that the food is very nice and at a reasonable price.

People are not bothered if it's going to be a major force in the golfing world as long as it's AFFORDABLE TO THEM. Golfers like to have a choice of course to play and that area is ideal with 3 courses right next to each other but you know what ?....if it's too expensive they'll go elsewhere.

There's plenty of bars & restaurants in Kavarna for people to relax in at night which is just 6km up the road from the courses so all in all I think it's an ideal location , which is why we bought land and built right by Thracian Cliffs Resort, and Iamb sure that once everything is totally finished and proffesional tournaments are held there it will take off. There you are, how's that for optimism !

Anyone wishing to stay at our place from next year can pm me for piccys and info \:D/

owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:42 pm

The few new Golf Courses in Bulgaria are well designed, good courses. But they are far too expensive to be competetive with other Golfing destinations.To really become a World Class Golf Destination,they need more good courses and lower prices,until then it will just be a country with a couple of decent Golf courses. This isn't negative,it's fact.

Bulgaria also has an 'elitist' attitude to golf (similar to Germany). Rich Bulgarian's become members of Golf Clubs just to say "I'm a member of a Golf and Spa Club" :roll:

You only have to look at the prices for Sliven,Ihtiman or the newer St Sofia Golf. All these courses are mediocre at best, especially St Sofia for the price....2500 Leva for 1 years membership :o
Compare this to the £1050 1 years membership to play on the 2 World Class Golf Couses of the Ryder Cup 2010 hosts at Celtic Manor.

Unlike Spain,Portugal or the U.K & Ireland. Golf will be a sport for the rich and connected and this wont change anytime soon. I don't think there'll be many opportunities for the under priveliged children or even the average person of this country to have a chance of being introduced to the Sport in an affordable manner :evil:

It's shameful that both Mr Seth Underwood and Alan Rogut don't address this elitist attitude here...although I'm sure they enjoy the privelages given to them through their 'jobs' at the Bulgarian Golf Association. Keep up the Good Work boys !!!! :evil:

Return to “Golf in Bulgaria…and other sports!”