Bulgaria will be world class golf destination

Discussion room for new/proposed golf courses and developments in Bulgaria…and for other related sporting activities, initiatives and chat.

Moderator: Moderator

bancjy14
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby bancjy14 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:20 pm

I was at the blacksea rama golf course last monday, i took my girlfriend their for lunch and i must say the food was very good and afterwards we hired some bikes and cycled around the whole course, looked great but we only saw one gentleman playing golf on his own, such a shame, but its not surprising as it cost 75 euros a round yes 75 euros, even more if you want to hire clubs/trolley too!! That is just ridiculous. the whole complex was empty and this is the peak summer season!!

I played at Celtic Manor Roman Road course (home of the Ryder Cup) in may and we paid £18 each, they had a promotion on and this is one of the best courses in Britain!!

I go to Bulgaria twice a year as i have an apartment near Albena and i have been looking at all 3 courses progress for a for the last 4 years since i brought it and i have so many friends who want me to take them to Bulgaria see my apartment and play golf, but when i tell them the price they just laugh and say maybe next year!

Considering it costs 80p for a beer and £65 for a round of golf someone in charge at these courses need to take a hard look at their pricing structure otherwise they will never take off and go bust, i for one will never pay these prices and i love golf, and in a selfish way i hope it stays expensive for a least another year or so, so they get in serious dept problems and then have no choice but to lower the prices to a realistic price!

"Bulgaria will be a top golfing destination" Don't make me laugh, not anytime soon!!!

football

Postby football » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:03 pm

When it comes to business(main objective is to make a profit)GREED is always at the core of every collapse.

This golf course looks a classic case:-

1.If demand is low...,its probably the PRICE is too high.If demand is high... the price is just right.

Do the market research(How much can local bulgarians afford to pay as they should account for 50% of the market.) Adjust the prices accordingly.

2.Void periods i.ie Why is the course mostly empty.....What is the local transport like(if you can only get there by car/taxi and there are no buses/trains then your eliminating another 50 % of the market immediately).

3.What is international transport like.i.e can tourists come over easily and play most of the year(not just summer).Flights to Varna have to be taken into account.

4.How much is being spent on maintence of the course look at ways of reducing money here,as well as eliminting overhead costs on hotels,restraunts, shops etc

At the end of the day a golf course is run like any business and when you read the balance sheet at the end of the tax year,you hope to constantly increase the profit
margin.If you dont,the business could collapse.

In the last 10 years golf is the biggest growing tourist business in the world.Bulgaria has massive potential in that it could create the equivalent of Portugal for the eastern european market(i.e.future golfers from Russia,UkrainePoland,Serbia etc).
Immediately the Bulgarian economy would start to improve,although it would help if the government accelerted the road network between the surrounding countries and within also.

The most profitable location for golf business in Bulgaria is on the flat bit of land below Kosharitsa and behind Sunny Beach(easily accessable within a large potenetial market)How the local council havent invited a Donald Trump type in to get this moving is beyond me as the local economy has missed out on a small fortune.

Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:33 pm

As Owain says golf in Bulgaria is aimed at an elitest market which largely doesn't exist . The developers have seen how well that Spain & Portugal have done out of building up golf tourism , but then think that they can jump into the top end of the market without bothering to create a name for themselves first . Apparently Turkey has beaten them as the 'new' golfing destination , and unless they learn better business practice some other country with more nouse will jump on the bandwagon and usurp them as well . Unless of course golf in Bulgaria is just another mafia money laundering exercise and they really don't care whether anybody actually plays or not because their books show that they're packed out ! Tim .

football

Postby football » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:12 pm

Well your basically agreeing with what i said.The courses in Bulgaria are run by DUMBELLS.

lower the prices,demand increases.profit margin increases.

To hell with the ELITIST market,as there is no market in Eastern europe,so theve made a massive cock up with this one.

Bulgaria has the advantage of being in a good location,surrounded by 5 countries,so clients can drive to courses in BG,whereas to play in Turkey,youd have to travel by plane.(dont suggest that Turkey has better weather so that will increase demand)
Golf,invented in Scotland, is nothing to do with weather remember(,if that was the case the business in Scotland would never have developed)Playing in different weather is part of the challenge.

The potential is there is just theres not to many business brains working in it

Boyo

Postby Boyo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:02 pm

I often wonder if the people who write on this forum actually have anything invested in Bulgaria,please check some facts before sounding off about golf prices etc.
courses as good as those near Kavarna would be extremely expensive to play anywhere in the world, membership deals are being quoted for golf resorts elsewhere which are a little misleading, because you cannot play the main championship course in the deal .
The Lighthouse course regularly have tournaments at very competitive rates, as an example this month, one round for practise then one round for the competition is 60 euro.
Come on chaps,please hold your negativity in check, there are people judging Bulgaria by the extreme doom and gloom written.
Boyo

football

Postby football » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:18 pm

Boyo.To give you an example,yesterday i played on a fantastic course,perfect greens,river running through the middle of if,Mountains running along the side of it,reasonably busy,Cost £20(for non members)or
if you want to play as often as you like between Easter and Qctober,cost £100).This was Aberfeldy golf course in the heart of Scotland.

In the Bulgarian courses its 300% more expensive(thanks to numpty management)in a part of the world were demand is about fraction of the demand in Scotland.A RECIPE FOR DISASTER.

Greed,as usual,has overtaken,and long term the busuness will collapse,as they wont be able to run the place and break even at the end of the year.

The potential is there,but they have to buid it up in the local community first by,SLASHING PRICES.

kat36

Postby kat36 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:20 pm

Hi Football, take it you are paying for the sun!

football

Postby football » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:25 pm

This year,definetly.

Nosmo_King
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Nosmo_King » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:55 am

Football,
You played where ? Aberfeldy ,never heard of it , middle of scotland for 20 quid .Blacksearama and the lighthouse costs between 50-70 euro to play . An equivalent course in scotland , say Gullane , a typical good private course costs 122 pounds per day . In the winter it is 44 a day .
I agree with Boyo stop knocking the Bulgarian golf courses and start realizing that they are very good , and when thracian cliffs opens
it will be the jewel in the crown .

I would like to know if any of you knockers have even played the courses over here . Reckon you havnt because you are to tight .

owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:31 am

It has nothing to do with being tight Nosmo_King, not everyone can afford to pay that much for green fees, luckily you can.
Golfers on a lower budget will have to go somewhere else, making golf in Bulgaria an elitist sport.
Bulgaria is a very long way behind Turkey, which is a far more attractive new golf destination with a large choice of Golf Courses for all budgets.

I agree that Blacksearama, The Lighthouse and The Pirin Resort are good courses but they cost more than 50 to 70 Euro to play, more like 60 to 100 Euros on weekdays. I haven't played the Blacksearama or Lighthouse but I have played the Pirin a few times and for 60 Euros I would agree that it is good value.The facilities there are of a very good standard.

I have also played Ihtiman,Sliven and St Sofia and they're no better than an average public course in the U.K. but the price to play these are between 25 and 30 Euro a round. As you can see below, for the same price you can play at Gullane and The Celtic Manor .

You mention Gullane, a well established World Class golf destination that is used for the Open Championship qualifying rounds.It has 3 golf courses and for £50 you can play the 2 and 3 Courses in a day, 2 rounds of golf on good courses.
At The Celtic Manor you can either play the 2010 Course(Welsh Open & Ryder Cup) for £175 or you can play on the Roman Road (£36) or The Montgomorie (£25).These are World Class resorts with a choice for golfers with various budgets.
Within 50kms of both these British resorts, golfers have the option of playing on a number of other golf course of varying prices and of good quality, this is why the U.K is a World Class Golf destination.

The fact is that Bulgaria has a couple of quality Golf Courses but not everybody can afford to play on these. Currently Bulgaria is not yet a World Class Golf destination, it's a Country with a few nice courses and a few bad ones. A Golf Tourist has many far better destinations to chose from
:wink:
Last edited by owain on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Golf in Bulgaria…and other sports!”