Bulgaria will be world class golf destination

Discussion room for new/proposed golf courses and developments in Bulgaria…and for other related sporting activities, initiatives and chat.

Moderator: Moderator

oldtimer
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby oldtimer » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:02 pm

Sliven has not changed at all from last year but it is up for sale so I suppose if it does sell the new owners might improve it, I suppose we will just have to wait and see.

johnnyc

Postby johnnyc » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:53 pm

has anyone played black sea rama course at varna any views or information would be appreciated

john 8O

MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:35 am

Bulgaria will be world class golf destination... that's what this topic is called. Well, they're trying... :D

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=129862

International Golf Tournament Kicks Off in Bulgaria

The Balkan Challenge Trophy kicked off Saturda at the BlackSeaRama golf course in the north east of Bulgaria.

With 47 golfers from 11 country, the Balkan Challenge Trophy is the largest one in the region of South Eastern Europe.

Next year it is planned to take place in the Thracian Cliffs golf course, after which to rotate around other Balkan countries.

The competition is organized by the Bulgarian Golf Association with the assistance of the R&A Foundation, and includes national teams from Bulgaria, Serbia, Romania, Macedonia, Cyprus, Croatia, Moldova, Slovenia, Albania and the Czech Republic.

The first edition of the tournament was officially opened by Bulgarian Minister of Sports Svilen Neykov, who stated he saw a great future for golf in Bulgaria.

booboo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby booboo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:56 am

MOD wrote:Bulgaria will be world class golf destination... that's what this topic is called. Well, they're trying... :D

The Balkan Challenge Trophy kicked off Saturda at the BlackSeaRama golf course in the north east of Bulgaria.

With 47 golfers from 11 country, the Balkan Challenge Trophy is the largest one in the region of South Eastern Europe.

Next year it is planned to take place in the Thracian Cliffs golf course, after which to rotate around other Balkan countries.

The competition is organized by the Bulgarian Golf Association with the assistance of the R&A Foundation, and includes national teams from Bulgaria, Serbia, Romania, Macedonia, Cyprus, Croatia, Moldova, Slovenia, Albania and the Czech Republic.

The first edition of the tournament was officially opened by Bulgarian Minister of Sports Svilen Neykov, who stated he saw a great future for golf in Bulgaria.

NOT really trying though are they. They don't understand golf - made obvious by kicks off instead of tees off. WILL NEVER be a world class golf destination unless the rest of the world floods. All this is, is neighbours and friends invited for a summer break

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:14 am

Its a bit of a stretch to condemn the progress of golfing development based on the slightly incorrect English of an intern at a Bulgarian PR company! The golf that is here is by all accounts very good although world beating is clearly only in the minds of the property development companies.

silky4015

Postby silky4015 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:08 pm

There is no doubt that a low ranking golf competition like this will be classed as a hacker’s competition on the golf pro circuit. However, with a few more games and publicity, it could blossom into an East European championship.

Here’s hope all the best for the future of the game.

eureka
Super User!
Super User!

Postby eureka » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:49 pm

booboo wrote:
MOD wrote:Bulgaria will be world class golf destination... that's what this topic is called. Well, they're trying... :D

NOT really trying though are they. They don't understand golf - made obvious by kicks off instead of tees off. WILL NEVER be a world class golf destination unless the rest of the world floods. All this is, is neighbours and friends invited for a summer break

Yeah Booboo, this inaugural tournament with 47 of the finest golfers from 11 countries in SE Europe, along with the entire development of the game in the region as a whole is certainly doomed to failure,

And all because somebody said "it kicks off on Saturday" instead of it "tees" off. :roll:

owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:36 pm

Actually it's 47 wealthy Amateur players and it is the usual close knit of the EGA friends.This is a free event for them all as the R&A pay for all the expenses.

Golf in the Balkans is a "Rich Man Only" sport I'm afraid and the likes of Seth Underwood,the General secretary of BGA, doesn't do anything to promote the game in Bulgaria. He just enjoys the perks of playing golf with his elitist buddies :wink:

But at least it raises a bit of awareness for a nicely designed Golf Course but I think Gary Player does a better job of that than the Bulgarian Golf Association.

eureka
Super User!
Super User!

Postby eureka » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:31 am

owain wrote:Actually it's 47 wealthy Amateur players and it is the usual close knit of the EGA friends.This is a free event for them all as the R&A pay for all the expenses.

Golf in the Balkans is a "Rich Man Only" sport I'm afraid and the likes of Seth Underwood,the General secretary of BGA, doesn't do anything to promote the game in Bulgaria. He just enjoys the perks of playing golf with his elitist buddies :wink:

But at least it raises a bit of awareness for a nicely designed Golf Course but I think Gary Player does a better job of that than the Bulgarian Golf Association.

Thank you Owain for your input.

I know nothing about this inaugural tournament, but it seems that you do.

Who are the 47 golfers chosen to represent their respective countries?
Have they already been chosen, and have their names been released?

I would share your concern if they were only chosen on the basis of their wealth. That would certainly be absolutely dreadful. Where did you gain this information about their individual wealth? Is it on-line somewhere?

booboo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby booboo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:38 am

eureka wrote:

And all because somebody said "it kicks off on Saturday" instead of it "tees" off. :roll:

And I thought I said they 'aren't trying though are they', and 'that they don't understand the game'.

It was only ever an additional real estate stunt, combined with of course what Owain said, so why not be sarcastic again to me with a valid argument of why I/we are wrong! Doh!

:roll: :roll:

Return to “Golf in Bulgaria…and other sports!”