Fishing Matches

Discussion room for new/proposed golf courses and developments in Bulgaria…and for other related sporting activities, initiatives and chat.

Moderator: Moderator

Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:46 pm

And this time there'll be competition from a BG match fishing organisation. A few guys who fish matches in the Varna region (within 100K of Varna) will be turning up to compete against the Anglichanin!
It'll be a good opportunity to get some networking done and hopefully get into their match scene.
As a point of interest, their last match, 3rd July on Tsonevo dam, was won with 11Kg of Bream.
That's what I'm talking about!

Slaps.

PosabinaPete

Postby PosabinaPete » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:30 pm

Hi Slaphead.
What is your water leavel like? Ours is very high.
Do you mind if we pop over one Saturday

Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:55 am

Hi Pete

The water level's up here too. About 1.5m up on the end of last year.
You're more than welcome to visit any time you wish.

Slaps.

Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:44 pm

Well, what a good day and what a result!
It was great to have 4 anglers from the Varna Region match scene attend yesterday, 10 July. My eyes were certainly opened as to the quality of match anglers in Bulgaria, well, Varna anyway.
I’m sure the guys won’t mind me saying this, but, the stereotypical ‘Bulgarians are always late!’ was well and truly put to bed for me yesterday. All 4 visitors were here by 9am for a draw at 11am! Take note tardy Brits.
Now, on to the match itself.
10 anglers took part, as I’ve said, 4 Bulgarians and 6 Brits.
The weather could have been better, equally it could have been much worse. The wind blew strongly all day and we had the odd shower of rain. But most of us were sat in T Shirts all day so it wasn’t that bad really.
The draw saw a pretty equal split of people on the dam wall and people on the house bank. Out of the 4 Bulgarians present, 2 drew the wall (where they would have all preferred to be) and 2 drew the house bank.
I can only comment on my part in the match and Hristo’s part in the next peg. Mind you, I may include Ken in this as well.
I’d decided to fish at about 10 or 11 metres, on the outer edge of the reeds where I had about 0.75m (2ft 6 ins) of water.
I cupped in a bucket load of stewed wheat and sweetcorn and then sat there for the next 2 hours watching Hristo bag up on groundbait and maggot at 12 metres. In that time I had 5 small fish, he had about 50!
Meanwhile, Ken, on the other side of me started on meat and lost a couple of good fish in the reeds almost immediately. He managed to sort stuff out and get a few in. I was getting stuffed both sides.
I’d been trying all sorts of things but nothing seemed to work so I thought stuff it! Start feeding like hell via the catapult. So I did! I piled in stewed wheat and sweetcorn.
The next 3 hours were very productive. Small carp, grass carp and crucians began coming in quite frequently. I had the odd decent fish, the biggest being a carp of about 1.5 lb. Unfortunately I lost quite a number of decent fish too. The most annoying being a grass carp of about 2lb shedding the hook at the landing net. Oh well.
Anyway, here’s the results. You’ll see a huge improvement in weights and us Brits were well and truly stuffed!

1st Radoslav 17lb 6oz (7.95 Kilo)
2nd Assen 15lb 4.5oz (6.93 Kilo)
3rd Hristo 14lb 11.5oz (6.7 Kilo(
4th Slaps 13lb 7oz (6.13 Kilo)
5th Vladimir 13lb 6.5oz (6.12 Kilo)

I’d like to think everyone had a good day, that’s the impression I got, and I’d like to do it again.
So, the next match will be Saturday 31 July 2010.

Next weekend, Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th is the Bulgarian National competition. The Varna region match will be held on Tsonevo dam at the dam wall.
I’ll be going along to have a nose and hopefully, so will you.

Slaps.

Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:20 am

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... 9q_A-RwX6A

Copy and paste the link into your browser for a few photos of last week's event at Manastir.

Slaps.

Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:29 am

Don't forget, this Saturday, the next 'international' event here at Manastir.
Let me know if you're coming and please get here early, like 9.30 so our BG friends can get themselves sorted.

Slaps.

PosabinaPete

Postby PosabinaPete » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:56 am

Hi Slaphead.
Glad your weights are going up. We have found that the Bulgarians are very skilled fishermen. Take a look at the web site to see some of what they have caught in the last couple of weeks. Don't forget if you are passing you are more then welcome to pop in and dangle your worm and have a coffee

Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:21 am

31 July 2010

Yet again, a great day’s fishing with what was for me, an excellent result!

You’ll see from the results that there was a massive improvement in catch weights.

A total of 9 anglers took part, 3 Bulgarians and 6 Brits.

The weather played it’s part in the day, a thin covering of cloud kept the temperature down to just very hot and the breeze wasn’t too strong for the most part.

This time, almost everyone was here on time. Hristo was late but, he had an excuse, apparently. Something about a combine harvester being in the way.

Again, I’ll give you a rundown of my match and describe as best I can, what the other successfull tactics were.

As a result of the last match, I’d decided that particles were the way forward. Stewed wheat and sweetcorn being the baits of choice for me. Peg 5, the house bank, was drawn out of the bag by Hristo for me.

I started by cupping in 2 large cups of mixed corn and wheat at the 10 metre mark, in about 0.75m depth of water. I then commenced spraying bait via the catapult all round my float.

My 1st fish, a small carp of about 6 oz came within 10 minutes. This was followed by 3 more in quite quick succession. Then, the grass carp moved in. Loads of em.

I was spraying wheat at about 1 minute intervals with the odd pouch full of sweetcorn. The grass carp loved it and the next 3.5 hours was hectic to say the least with a bite every put in. The majority of my fish were in the 8 to 12oz range with the odd one approaching 2lb. Excellent, fun fish to catch.

Things slowed dramatically after about 3.5 hours with only a few Crucians coming to the net. Adding another section to the pole and fishing a bit further out saw me back into the grass carp, they’d moved out a bit. the grass carp kept moving and I had to search for them on a number of occasions but they kept coming at a slower rate for the rest of the match.

Radoslav (Rado) was pegged on the dam wall, where he wanted to be. He fished the whip at 4 metres I believe and had literally hundreds of small fish for his total.

Hristo fished the long pole over groundbait and used maggot for hookbait.

I feel I should mention Allen (Smiggy) who ended up 4th. It was his 1st visit here so very well done, you were close to the money.

Anyway, here’s the results:

1st Paul Mansley 60lbs 9oz (27.47Kg)

2nd Radoslav 36lb 4oz (16.44Kg)

3rd Hristo 15lb 9oz (7.06Kg)

4th Allen (Smiggy) 15lb 6oz (6.97Kg)

Next Match – SUNDAY 8th August

Slaps.

Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:29 pm

6 to 8 Bulgars for Sunday. All we need now is a few Brits to confirm.
Let me know if you're coming.

Slaps.

varnajohn
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

fishing match

Postby varnajohn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:08 pm

hi slaphead we should be there john alan howard :wink:

Return to “Golf in Bulgaria…and other sports!”