Scuba Diving

Discussion room for new/proposed golf courses and developments in Bulgaria…and for other related sporting activities, initiatives and chat.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
blackaqua
Super User!
Super User!

Postby blackaqua » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:05 pm

On the 10th October, 1941 at 6 minutes before mid day the mine layer the Carol 1 after having left Varna harbor with a new load of mines sunk in 13 minutes, 2 miles away of Galata Burnu lighthouse, one NCO and 20 seamen lost their lives, the rest of the crew being rescued by the torpedo boat Smeul, which was convoying Carol.

There is two versions of how the Carol 1 sank, the first is that it struck a mine layed down by the Soviet ( Lenin class) L 24 mine laying submarine, which was dived on earlier this year by scuba divers from the Black Sea Tec divers and lays at a depth of 60 mts near the Kaliakra cape.
Another version of the sinking of the Carol 1 is a torpedo attack from the Soviet submarine of " SHCH 211" which lies a little further away from the Carol 1. The soviet submarine SHCH ( shtuka / pike ) 211 was dived on by N4 divers on the 1st July, 2008 it rests in 22 mts of water in two sections 150 mt from each other with the loss of life of 44 personnel, but that’s another story.

Sixty seven years later on the 6th October 10, 2008 to the 11th October 2008 she was visited by scuba divers from the N4 a converted enclosed life boat used for the evacuation of personal from oil tankers, over three days a series of dives where performed on the Carol 1. The last of these dives and inspections two anchored mines where clearly visible on the hull of the ship, the wooden decks can clearly be seen as well as the railings although covered in mussels are also very visible. On the bow section there is damage from what maybe an explosion, although further inspection and detailed, concentrated diving on this area will reveal more.

After the war the Bulgarian military divers raised some of the anchored mines which would present a danger to navigation . In 2002 scuba divers from Bulgaria inspected the Carol 1 and the hull which lies on a small bank at a depth of 23.5 mts and elevates above ground to 6.1 mts, the super structure is deformed, and is severally damaged from corrosion. My self and divers from the N4 also took note of the corrosion and how deformed the super structure is and in some places how it has collapsed.
The passenger ship Regele Carol I was build in Glasgow, and fitted out in England, between 1897-1898, and arrived in Romania on 28 June 1898, entering service with the Serviciul Maritim Roman (SMR). It operated on the Constanta-Istanbul and Constanta-Piraeus routes. In 1905 a wireless telegraph post was set up on the ship. As Romania entered the First World War, in 1916 Carol was put at the allied Imperial Russian Navy's disposal and inn October 1916, at Sevastopol, Carol was turned into an auxiliary cruiser. Four 101 mm guns, two 63 mm AA guns, two search-lights and installations for carrying and operating two seaplanes.
When the First World War ended, Carol was returned to its civilian life as a passenger ship, following the Constanta-Varna-Istanbul-Salonika route, inn 1941, the need for minelayers the requisition of Carol was inevitable the Carols main deck readily accepted mine mounts. Lieutenant Commander Ion was the Commander of the ship and between 16 and 19 June 1941, Carol laid mines along Romanian coast, between Cape Midia and Tuzla, together with NMS Amiral Murgescu. Even though the Carol I sank in October, the mine’s it had laid in 1941 continued to claim victims. In the same month, the Soviet submarine M-58 hit a mine in front of Constanta. On 30 November 1941, Sc-211, while was trying to attack a convoy made up of the Romanian cargo ship Carpati and the Bulgarian Czar Ferdiannd, entered a barrage of mines laid on 8 October and sank near Varna. Sc-204 had the same fate also near Varna in December 1941. One year later, in December 1942, the L-24 submarine hit a mine from the S-15 barrage and sank near the Kaliakra Cape.
Last edited by blackaqua on Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
stewarty
drunken lout

Postby stewarty » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:26 pm

blackaqua wrote

The passenger ship Regele Carol I was build in Glasgow, England, between 1897-1898

An informative and interesting read!

When was Glasgow in England ?

:?: :?: :?:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
blackaqua
Super User!
Super User!

Postby blackaqua » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:31 pm

oooops my apologies she was fitted out in England but built in Glasgow I can not find any info on her fitting out but was probably done on the west coast of England probably a guess Liverpool or Birkenhead.

Have up loaded some pics on my gallery

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
blackaqua
Super User!
Super User!

The Diving community in Bulgaria are opening the 09 season w

Postby blackaqua » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:38 pm

The Diving community in Bulgaria are opening the 09 season with a charity campaign in aid of the foundation “I Can Too”.

8) 8) AQUABORN scuba diving forum together with the Dive Center Sredets are organizeing the opening of the 09 diving season in Kiten with a charity event.

Through the internet and the AQUABORN forum Bulgarian and British divers are hoping to make this an international event, divers will also gather in Varna and will also be included in the charitable initiative, funds raised will go directly to “I Can Too”.

The main event will be held between 01 - 04 May 2009, at the Diving centre Sredets who are kindly supplying free air, nitrox and bottles for qualified divers, please bring your sea card.

The participants will be sold accessories from the “I Can Too” Gift Guide (part of donor project Gift Guide / Gift guide); each diver will enter the water with at least one accessory from the “I can Too” gift guide.
The revenue that these funds raise is to establishing the following:-
• Medical Center’s through Bulgaria for children with disabilities, a place for training therapeutists, pedagogues, information centre and a place for rehabilitation.

This is the beginning of a series of events, which Bulgarian divers are supporting “I Can.Too”, and through the summer intend to try out some extreme underwater ironing.

Victor Melkonian creator of the Scuba Diving forum AQUABORN.net and Ian Wilkinson of Black Aqua said, “ Our main goal as a diving community is not only to help children in need, but also to promote safe diving practices, training and education for the lovers of underwater sports.

• I Can Too Foundation "Children with problems with development.
In October 2008 Medical Center for children with disabilities in Studentski Grad, Sofia opened, in accordance with European standards.
• It was established and modeled on Kindertsentrum in Munich, Germany. www.icantoo.eu

Donation account:
Eurobank EFG Bulgaria
IBAN:BG15BPBI79421080910101
SWIFT (BIC): BPBIBGSF

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
PADIDiveMaster
<b>Property Sales/Transport/Building</b>

Postby PADIDiveMaster » Tue May 05, 2009 7:34 am

Hello All,

I am a PADI Divemaster working in Bulgaria for Lalov egrek (Angel Divers) we have a number of centers Nessebar & Tsarevo,

Please visit www.angel-divers.com and www.laloegrek.com where you can see our hotel and glass sided swimming pool.

As you can see on the web site we offer wreck, shore and pool diving
we offer all courses associated with a 5 star centre (35016) & retail shop.

I am thinking of starting a dive club if there is any intrest please contact me.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
trevanden

Postby trevanden » Wed May 06, 2009 5:45 pm

Hi PADIdivemaster,

I have tried accessing the websites on your post, but they are "coming soon". Any idea when they will be up and running?

I will be in Sv Vlas in July / August, and 3 of us will be looking for a few dives!

Regards,
Trev.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
translator
<b>Translation Services</b>

Postby translator » Wed May 06, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi Trev,
I am Padidivemaster
Sorry for replying from my partners nickname but she cannot log out.
I will get the information about the websites asap.u can pm me or email me at padidm646201@yahoo.com.and i will try and send some pics at least.if u are interested at prices i will send it all.What type of dives do u like?Wreck , shore, boat diving?
What certification level are u all?i can plan dive days to suit ur individual needs.i live in st vlas also so it will be nice to get together for a beer and chat.

Mike

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
blackaqua
Super User!
Super User!

Postby blackaqua » Thu May 07, 2009 12:32 pm

The Diving Community in Bulgaria opened the season with Charity Diving for
I Can Too (www.icantoo.eu ) an awful lot of merchandise was bought and t-shirts supporting the Charity for Disabled Children here in BG.

The Hospitality and Organization from the Diving Centre in Sredets and the Bulgarian Dive forum Aqua Born was 1st class and I am sure everybody had a really good time including a turn out by BSAC divers
The first of many events planned for this year for divers by divers.
Photos can be seen at .........

http://www.facebook.com/photo_search.ph ... 4&view=all
http://www.bgphoto.net/Photos.aspx?User ... mId=130300

The next Charity event is a Car Boot / Village market on the 24th May at Kings Bar Sleeveo the piches are FREE ( Donation ) we are still looking for sellers although we have had a huge responce the more the merrier.
:D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
BREEZE

Postby BREEZE » Thu May 07, 2009 10:43 pm

Hi Padidivemaster.

We are in Vlas July / August also. Do you do a taster course for complete beginners? We have only ever tried snorkeling but would love the chance to try out some 'diving for beginners'.

P.S. Are you based in Sea Gate? I remember seeing a load of diving gear around there 2 years ago.

Cheers.

BREEZE......

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
PADIDiveMaster
<b>Property Sales/Transport/Building</b>

Postby PADIDiveMaster » Fri May 08, 2009 8:49 am

HELLO BREEZE,

Yes we do introduction to Scba diving courses, if you send me your email address i can send you some pics of our 3m glass sided pool in our 5 star center in Tsarevo or we can use a pool in St Vlas or Nesseber. I live in Vlas Hights near the Marina

Regards

Mike (PADI Dive Master 646201

Return to “Golf in Bulgaria…and other sports!”