Growing Opposition to Super Perelik Project

Discussion room exclusively about the ski areas and resorts in Bulgaria and related activities.

Moderator: Moderator

gushter
Super User!
Super User!

Growing Opposition to Super Perelik Project

Postby gushter » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:24 pm

I see that opposition to the proposed Super Perelik Project in the Rhodope Mountains is growing ever stronger.

At the end of June a written question was raised in the European Parliament highlighting the illegality of the project:

Parliamentary questions
25 June 2008 E-3599/08

WRITTEN QUESTION by Elly de Groen-Kouwenhoven (Verts/ALE) , Margrete Auken (Verts/ALE) and David Hammerstein (Verts/ALE) to the Commission

Subject: Illegal ski resort Super Perelik in Rhodope Mountain, Bulgaria
The area of Perelik in the Rhodope Mountain is part of the proposed Natura 2000 site BG0002113 named Trigrad-Mursalitsa. It includes well-preserved natural habitats of Picea abies, Pinus sylvestris, Pinus nigra, Abies alba, Agrostis capillaries, Nardus stricta. It is extremely vital for the brown bear and the grey wolf, which are listed as priority species in Annex II of the Habitats Directive 92/43/EEC(1). The forest there is the habitat of numerous rare bird species listed in Annex I of the Birds Directive 79/409/EEC(2), like: Bubo bubo, Sylvia nisoria, Picus canus, Alcedo atthis, Caprimulgus europaeus, Dryocopus martius, Glaucidium passerinum, Falco naumanni, Crex crex, Tetrao urogallus, Bonasa bonasia, Aquila chrysaetos, Falco peregrinus, Falco cherrug, Aegolius funereus, Ciconia nigra, Aquila pomarina, Lanius collurio, Lanius minor, Buteo rufinus, Emberiza hortulana, Circaetus gallicus, Milvus migrans, Pernis apivorus, Lullula arborea and Dendrocopos medius.

Despite its great ecological significance, the area is planned to be part of a new ski resort named Super Perelik. There are plans for the construction of ski runs with a total length of 200 km, and 100 km of ski lifts. The firm which is planning this destruction of the famous European natural heritage is named Super Perelik Tourist Centre and is owned by Mr Kiril Asenov, who is a relative of the Bulgarian Deputy Minister of the Environment and Water, Mrs Lyubka Katchakova. In total contravention of both Bulgarian and international laws and directives, the local authorities in the Municipality of Smolyan, led by the Mayor of Smolyan Mrs Dora Yankova, gave the green light to build this massive new ski resort.

1. Does the Commission know that this planned ski resort will result in a catastrophe for Europe’s famous natural heritage located in the area of Perelik peak in Bulgaria and what will the Commission do to prevent it?

2. How will the Commission ensure the fulfilment of Bulgaria’s obligations under Directive 92/43/EEC, and when will the Commission undertake infringement proceedings against Bulgaria?

(1) OJ L 206, 22.7.1992, p. 7.
(2) OJ L 103, 25.4.1979, p. 1.

Then last week an open discussion and demonstration against Super Perelik took place in Smolyan and it was very interesting to see the great level of opposition to the project by the LOCAL PEOPLE who were totally opposed to their 'sacred' Perelik massif, the haunt of Orpheus and much of their traditional culture and history being sullied by a new mega resort.

Furthermore, it was also interesting and disturbing (but I suppose not suprising) that a number of elderly locals from settlements whose territory would be 'absorbed' by the project were reporting that they were being intimidated and threatened by developers into selling up their land!

stevetheyorky
Super User!
Super User!

Postby stevetheyorky » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:17 pm

Fingers crossed

we can but hope that is abandoned

steve

derek42
Super User!
Super User!

Postby derek42 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:38 pm

I have just sent info on this to people I know at the Brigitte Bardot Foundation, Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth......The more the merrier :)

stevied
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby stevied » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:26 pm

Bring on the ski runs and developers that's what I say, I don't really care about a few birds or bears, I've got my pension to worry about.

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:39 pm

stevied wrote:Bring on the ski runs and developers that's what I say, I don't really care about a few birds or bears, I've got my pension to worry about.

You're gonna go straight to hell for that one....

Pirol
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Pirol » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:46 pm

Mat wrote:
stevied wrote:Bring on the ski runs and developers that's what I say, I don't really care about a few birds or bears, I've got my pension to worry about.

You're gonna go straight to hell for that one....

Must be ironic - on the other hand: he has an apartment in Pamporovo?!

stevied
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby stevied » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:47 pm

i love this site :P :twisted:

mathew

Postby mathew » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:25 am

Hello All

Haven't they build enough up to now.
Bansko is also being left aside by the Russian, because the place is so cheap :D
The ski-resort will turn in to another Sunny-Beach and Golden Sands catastrophe.
I hope that nobody will buy anything up there.
Let the people who come up with such projects bleed.
Let them pout all their money in that and see no money coming in.
Would be a nice and hard lesson for them.

Regards
Mathew

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:28 am

It would be nice to see the mutri developers lose all their money. In fact the losses are more likely to be made by those buying apartments there.
Last edited by scot47 on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

mathew

Postby mathew » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:44 am

Scott
YOU ARE RIGHT.
But it would be nice If they would get stuck with the apartments :D

Mathew

Return to “Skiing in Bulgaria”