Skidooing in Bansko

Discussion room exclusively about the ski areas and resorts in Bulgaria and related activities.

Moderator: Moderator

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Skidooing in Bansko

Postby brianj42 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:46 am

If you are looking for something extra to do if you are in the Bansko area, especially as the snow is just about still here, I would like to recommend the following.

We went out with http://www.BanskoAdventures.com yesterday - they picked us up and took us high into the pirin mountains (Obidim) where the snow was about 1 metre deep. The village and the tracks are on top of the mountain on a virtual par with the Bansko mountains, and the views, I've never seen anything like it.

We started off with a lesson on the football stadium where it was nice and flat and safe. The level of instruction was superb and made easy to follow - I've been on skidoos in France and Austria before and never has cornering been explained to me properly before!

Once we'd got our confidence we went off onto some pre-prepared tracks into the mountains and along the way we were coached on how to improve our riding ability. We were invited to go off-piste and play in the powder or stay on the tracks whichever we preferred.

We had such an amazing day and I can't recommend it highly enough - definitely the highlight of the 3 years we have lived here!

What I really liked about it was that we were able to choose how "extreme" or gentle we wanted it to be, and we weren't treated like numpties and given easy tracks.

I can't recommend it highly enough and now that the snow is at it's best - book as soon as you can! It definately rates up there in my top 5 things to do.

B

PS: There's a couple of pics in my gallery if you're interested.

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:52 pm

Was that with the American guy, at Obidem? How much was it? When you getting off your butt and coming down to see us!!! :D
I am looking for a beginning skiing partner if anyone is just starting, it is not so much fun doing it by myself... anyone else in the area interested?

Lee

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:42 am

Hi Lee

Apologies for not getting down to see you, no excuse apart from I'm crap. I've been back in the UK a lot trying to sort out my fathers things as he died late Nov last year. We will get down, complete with 4 dogs now !

On the skidooing, yes its Paris the American chap, and Aaron the expat who lives in Bachevo. Its €100 for a half day, but the tour around Obidim is well worth it.

You know what its like here in BG, you tend not to recommend things unless you are really confident, otherwise things tend to bite you on the bum.

But the day we had with these guys up at Obidim was just plain fantastic. I haven't stopped grinning, and my arms haven't stopped aching. They really put everything into making it special and can't do enough for you.

Good luck with the skiing lessons, there must be someone down here who wants first time as well.

I'll give you a shout when we are heading southbound, we'll probably leave the dogs home otherwise we'll have them running amock in your village.

Brian & Michelle :lol:

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:24 pm

Due to the receding snowline in Banko the guys have now moved their operations to the Rila. I went up with them today to have a look and slight play, and what can I say. We were right on top of the Rila mountain way above the bottom of the snowline. Five metres of snow, and trails as far as the eye can see. We covered about 20km of trails, most off piste.

Now you can skidoo in many places around the world, and I have. Organised trails, through woods etc etc. But given free reign, off piste, right on the top peaks of the Rila, with UNTOUCHED snow, and views to rival any European resort.....This is snowmobiling Bulgaria style.....

I know I am ranting about it, but the snow ain't going to be here long, probably another month on the Rila, so oportunity is melting (pardon the pun).

Motorbike and ATV for the summer, skidooing & Boarding in the winter....now this is why I came here !!!

:D :D :D

Return to “Skiing in Bulgaria”