Super Borovets Project?

Discussion room exclusively about the ski areas and resorts in Bulgaria and related activities.

Moderator: Moderator

baldy

Postby baldy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:59 am

scot47 wrote:Gravest finacial crisis ever and we are on verge of WW3-[
and Pirol worries about some Balkan ski-slopes.

Hmmm - on all 3 counts

scot47 wrote:

Let me remind him of Bismarck;s words about the Balkans !

"The entite Balkan Penisnsula is not worth the boners of one of my Pomeranian Grenadiers !" (ie the foot soldiers of Prussia)

Mr Bismarck was a strange fellow, even for a German, let alone a Prussian.

Thanks to Scot47 for illustrating the Iron Chancellor's depth of interest and high esteem for the full on chubbies of his foot soldiers.
And for providing us with the notion of an alternative reason for the Chancellor's accolade of "Iron".

Dave

Pirol
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Pirol » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:10 pm

However, the next WW3 will definately not start at the Balkans I guess - at least not in Borovets.

owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:41 pm

Here's an update on Super Borovets:
http://imoti.investor.bg/?cat=122&id=93607
Translated:
http://translate.google.bg/translate?u= ... =&ie=UTF-8

Apparently looking to complete by 2012

derek42
Super User!
Super User!

Postby derek42 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:12 pm

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah, someone blowing smoke up their own arse to try and keep something alive and justify their existence. If this even starts by 2012 never mind finishes, I will ski naked down the Tomba in Bansko.

This has about as much investment potential as a 3 legged donkey in the next grand national.

D

mariella

Postby mariella » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:52 pm

I would like to be optimistic however i have read on this forum that equest have already offloaded 42% of their investment in this area, however when i key into search i cannot find the article.

Vested interest or not what is anyones guess if this pro?ect will get up and running? there is bound to be someone in the area who has some idea.

rock_roland
Super User!
Super User!

Postby rock_roland » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:25 am

HI,

Just returned from Borovets and the latest news is: Super Borovets died owing to lack of money and the activities for the protection of environment. Sorry!

Roland

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:46 am

I should think another factor was and is the plunging numbers of tourists visiting the country. That is going to affect the whole face of the economy across Bulgaria, not just one ski resort.

The_General

Postby The_General » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:25 am

The reason skiing in Bulgaria was attractive to Western Europeans with the Alps on their doorstep was the cost alone. Now that the resorts are charging stupid prices like 5 euros for a hot chocolate, the tourist numbers are falling. I guess it's the same old story and the taking 5 euros today is worth more than 25 euros at the end of the week. As for Super Borovets, probably more likely to have supper in Borovets I suspect.

rock_roland
Super User!
Super User!

Postby rock_roland » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:29 pm

Hi Lee,

Yes, you are right. Borovets was empty, I guess only 50 % of last years tourists came to the resort. But the prices had decreased. Borosport spent a lot of money in snow making machines so the conditions were great. So the main reason why tourists came to BG is the price of the whole package and it has to be much cheaper than that for a winter week in the Alps. As far as I know, and I had the opportunity to talk with the sporting director of Borosport, they are on a good way. So fingers crossed for the rest of the season.
We will be there again next year.

For some pics check this site:

http://bulgarienforum.multiply.com/photos

Roland

tir

Postby tir » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:57 am

Prices have reduced alot in Borovets this year. simple examples would be

Last year: 5lv per pint on average, 24lv for a steak (in Katys)
This year: 3lv per pint on average, 15lv for a steak (in Katys)

Lots of places in Borovets have reduced prices this year. Even in the restaurants at the top of the gondola (run by Borosport) prices are more realistic this year. Hopefully it is a sign that at least some Bulgarians are beginning to understand the economics of doing business.

Return to “Skiing in Bulgaria”