Black Sea Poison?

Had a good or bad holiday in Bulgaria? Used a good hotel? Then let everyone know! Don't be shy, praise the good and shame the bad.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Britintheknow

Black Sea Poison?

Postby Britintheknow » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:12 pm

My wife and my son went to Sozopol last week only to fall ill after 2 days. I flew to Bourgas to bring them back, only to fall ill myself. Stayed in a 'holiday complex' where many were also taken ill, apparently a doctor was on full time alert there.

Mine and my families illness was not at all pleasent with the virus causing a 'violent' attack on my body. My son was hospitalised and I am only just recovering after loosing 7kg in weight. I finally got out of Sozopol yesterday after finally being fit enough to journey back to Sofia.

Yesterday I was shown by a member of staff of the 'holiday complex' the outlet where the raw untreated sewage was being flushed into the sea 20 meters from where all the holiday makers and their children were swimming in the sea.......So, now we know what caused it.

I hear there has been huge problems this year with illness caused by bathing in the Black Sea, anyone else had a similar experience?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
keninski
Super User!
Super User!

Postby keninski » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:51 pm

HI THERE
NO PERSONAL PROBLEMS MYSELF BUT I CAN RECALL THIS BEING MENTIONED ABOUT SUNNY BEACH A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO,WHAT THE COMMENT STATED WAS THAT MANY HOTELS ALONG THE COAST WERE ACTUALLY PUMPING RAW SEWAGE OUT IN TO THE BLACK SEA,BUT IT WAS TOO NEAR FOR COMFORT (IF COMFORT IS THE WORD)THIS IS AWFUL IF ITS TRUE AND NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED BY SOMEONE IN AUTHORITY.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
markie
Super User!
Super User!

Postby markie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:22 pm

Also bear in mind the possibility that this could be the new strain of the flu. Aeroplanes and their notorious reycling of the air in the cabin, the widespread nature of the virus now, the fact that most people have little or no immunity to it, there is a possibility that this is what you have fallen ill with.

Mark

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:38 pm

keninski is correct,many of the developments along the Black Sea Coast aren't connected to the mains sewerage and their waste is pumped directly into the sea, your basically swimming in your own s**t.

Last year ,it was widely reported that many children were covered in painful spots and rashes from bathing in the Black Sea. The Black Sea is a very dirty sea, it's polluted by the Danube, the ports of Bourgas and Varna and the insufficient and unsafe sewerage that is pumped into it, don't understand the attraction of the place myself ?????

You should have gone down to the Northern Greek coast Britintheknow, it's closer to you and it's not overdeveloped or dirty like the Bulgarian coast/Black Sea 8) 8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
elaine48
Super User!
Super User!

Postby elaine48 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:54 pm

I am very sorry for all those people who have been taken ill while holidaying at the Black Sea. I can only say that my husband and I took our first break there last week, since living full-time in BG. We had a lovely time in the towns of Sarafavo, Necebur and Sunny Beach. We found all places to be clean and well-orientated to the tourist. The prices were reasonable, food great and staff pleasant. However, it must be said that we did not swim in the sea, only the Hotel pool, which was lovely. My husband did notice that there was a sewage outfall just near the public beach, which was what put us off.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:58 pm

Mid 90's it was officially the most polluted sea in the world. 17 countries STILL dump heavy metals, human waste, radionuclides, pesticides, insecticides, agrochemicals, toxic metals, oil etc etc. It is fed by the Danube which has 1,345 heavy industries which chuck UNtreated waste and of course it was heavily affected by Chenobyl. 90% of the Black Sea's volume is anoxic, the world’s largest such volume.

I did read once that, due to the lack of suitable sewage works, at least 60% of all toilet waste in Bulgaria is pumped elsewhere untreated, mainly rivers and open waters.

Apart from that, its lovely.
Last edited by brianj42 on Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:01 pm

brianj42 wrote:Mid 90's it was officially the most polluted sea in the world. 17 countries STILL dump heavy metals, human waste, radionuclides, pesticides, insecticides, agrochemicals, toxic metals, oil etc etc. It is fed by the Danube which has 1,345 heavy industries which chuck UNtreated waste and of course it was heavily affected by Chenobyl.

I did read once that, due to the lack of suitable sewage works, at least 60% of all toilet waste in Bulgaria is pumped elsewhere untreated, mainly rivers and open waters.

Apart from that, its lovely.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:33 pm

brianj42 wrote:I did read once that, due to the lack of suitable sewage works, at least 60% of all toilet waste in Bulgaria is pumped elsewhere untreated, mainly rivers and open waters.

Yup, every morning I give a little present to the Greeks. Under the Waste Water Directive Bulgaria has to meet a series of deadlines up to 2012 on water quality. Most of the water treatment plants being built now will only cover mechanical removal of solids, but at least its a start.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
ardleystar
Super User!
Super User!

Postby ardleystar » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:54 pm

This season has seen an enormous amount of gastro illness in the Sunny Beach/Nessebar/St.Vlas area. My partner works in a pharmacy on Flower Street (Main drag in Sunny Beach - Kuban Hotel pedestrian road down to the Pier) and can testify to this fact through first hand experience of dealing with a not inconsiderable amount of the gut clutching brigade . No idea why this season is so bad but the exceptionally hot weather maybe a contributing factor. Clearly my advice is to keep well clear of the so called 'Blue Flag' beaches.

Return to “Holidays and Hotels in Bulgaria”