Black Sea Poison?

Had a good or bad holiday in Bulgaria? Used a good hotel? Then let everyone know! Don't be shy, praise the good and shame the bad.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Re: Black Sea Poison?

Postby jinx57 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:05 pm

Britintheknow wrote:My wife and my son went to Sozopol last week only to fall ill after 2 days. I flew to Bourgas to bring them back, only to fall ill myself. Stayed in a 'holiday complex' where many were also taken ill, .......

........Yesterday I was shown by a member of staff of the 'holiday complex' the outlet where the raw untreated sewage was being flushed into the sea 20 meters from where all the holiday makers and their children were swimming in the sea.......So, now we know what caused it.

OMG this is awful - hope you are all OK now - we have nearly always gone swimming further south than sozopol - there's a big bay south of Primorsko holiday colmplex next to the road on the way to Kiten. The water is nice here and any sewage pipes are far enough away as there are no houses etc.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
polly
Super User!
Super User!

Postby polly » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:17 pm

It is worth noting that there is an 'epidemic' of a bug in bulgaria that is causing serious stomach cramps and diahorrea. Many people in the inland villages are also suffering - workng people who never get the opportunity to swim in the sea.
My neighbour was telling me it was widespread and had been on TV - luckily we did not succumb - but I know many who did !
:o

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
richi
Super User!
Super User!

Black Sea Poison

Postby richi » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:57 pm

Polly,
The poor hygiene generally would promote a wide sweep of such bugs? Seems to me that re-inforces my own suspicions about what has bee happening -but I will still pursue the Blue-Flag fraudulence angle. Richi

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
polly
Super User!
Super User!

Postby polly » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:24 pm

Poor hygiene is not an issue in the village homes of my Bulgarian friends, and restaurant eating out is not an option to most of them ! I am not suggesting that you are wrong- just that the nationwide summer bug may be relevant. :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
elaine48
Super User!
Super User!

Postby elaine48 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:08 am

Well done, Richi. Please continue to pursue your Blue Flag research. I remember it took many years and many campaigns to clean up Britain's beaches.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
blackaqua
Super User!
Super User!

Postby blackaqua » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:29 am

The Problem

Coming into contact with sewage polluted water while surfing, swimming, diving or any other recreational watersport is not a pleasant experience and can leave you feeling pretty sick.

Unless sewage is fully treated using either ultra-violet disinfection or microfiltration, the effluent in a sewage outfall pipe will contain high levels of human-derived bacteria and viruses, with the pathogens entering the water column at the discharge point.

It is scientifically acknowledged that pathogens present in water can cause infection in water users. Micro-organisms can enter through the oral route (ingestion), through the eyes, ears and nose or through an open wound.

In the case of certain pathogens it takes only one viral particle to cause an infection. Infections can even be contracted from the aerosol spray blown from the water's surface as micro-organisms are contained within the minute water droplets that are unsuspectingly inhaled.

Pathogens don't all die off quickly. Some pathogens can survive for long periods of time, such as, hepatitis A, which can survive for up to 100 days in saltwater!

The most common complaints amongst recreational water users, although painful, are relatively harmless; ear, nose and throat infections, eye and wound infections and gastro-intestinal complaints such as diarrhoea and vomiting. Unfortunately there are other more serious illnesses that can be contracted from sewage contaminated water; bacillary dysentery, pneumonia, botulism, hepatitis A, meningitis and septicaemia. These are just a few but they are all capable of keeping you out of the water for weeks or months at a time.

www.sas.org.uk/sewage

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bphirst50
Super User!
Super User!

Postby bphirst50 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:05 pm

blackaqua, Thanks for the info and reasurance about how ill this can make us when swimming in the sea. I previously was only worried about sharks and giant octopus pulling me under. Now I have to worry about minute particles entering my body. Will it be ok if I put windbreak in water and chlorinate this area?
I hope the British Government dont read this site as they will ban everyone from swimming and putting extra strain on our hospitals etc and raise huge amounts from fines on hot days!!!

:lol: :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:43 pm

brianj42 wrote:Hi Richi

As far as I can read into it Blue Flag beaches, once issued, become the responsibility of "Country‘s national organization of the Foundation for Environmental Education examines the Blue Flag beaches during the season."

I can't read anywhere where they are inspected by anyone in authority from outside the country.

This reads as Bulgarian authorities inspecting Bulgarian beaches.

Self regulation in Bulgaria, interesting.

Bit like British MP's regulating their own expenses.

Exactly right - the Blue Flag system is essentially a private members club and not anything to do with a European health or safety body, although this is clearly the impression they are intending to provide. There is no external regulation however I am sure than the beaches have an excellent water quality standard - when the tests are done in March. Come the end of August and the opening of a few million bowels, things are not so pure....

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Re: Black Sea Poison?

Postby Mat » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:46 pm

jinx57 wrote:
Britintheknow wrote:My wife and my son went to Sozopol last week only to fall ill after 2 days. I flew to Bourgas to bring them back, only to fall ill myself. Stayed in a 'holiday complex' where many were also taken ill, .......

........Yesterday I was shown by a member of staff of the 'holiday complex' the outlet where the raw untreated sewage was being flushed into the sea 20 meters from where all the holiday makers and their children were swimming in the sea.......So, now we know what caused it.

OMG this is awful - hope you are all OK now - we have nearly always gone swimming further south than sozopol - there's a big bay south of Primorsko holiday colmplex next to the road on the way to Kiten. The water is nice here and any sewage pipes are far enough away as there are no houses etc.

I was on the south side of Lozenetz and the sea was the best I've seen the Black Sea - very clean, no jellyfish (indicators of plankton bloom and usually very common late season) and minimal weed. The northern beaches were sadly full of trash, but at least plastic is better than poo

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Britintheknow

Postby Britintheknow » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:57 pm

I am a bit reluctant to name the complex, lets just say it is a large complex newly built as you enter sozopol, near to the marina. The only reason I won't name is because I have no proof, only the word of one of the staff.

I am not a tourist I live here and have lived here for many years so this is definately not something caught on the plane. I have to say from the number of people we now know whom have caught his virus this is the worst we have known in the many years I have been here.

This particular complex has a beach area, which did seem very nice and clean. Next to the beach area there is a childrens playground and toilet block. Right next to it there is a a large hole which is roped off, that clearly collects waste of some sort as it is green on colour and the bacteria bubbles away. As this fills up it then drains directly into the sea. This is what the staff told me was raw sewage.

If this is true, then this is shameful, especially located to a childrens playground, and then to dump directly into the sea. I understand that sewage is dumped legally into the sea, but I would have thought it should have been at least piped out a few kilometers.

I agree with other posters, the sea itself did look clear and clean and certainly no garbage which has littered resorts in the past. I stayed in Vlas earlier in the year and was actually impressed by the way the people cleaned the beaches every night. Clearly making then look clean, and actually being clean is something different.

I also went to Lozenets this year, and on one of the beaches there there is also a huge channel dug in the beach where waste of some sort is dumped. I can't remember the name of the beach but you have to go down a dusty road/truck and park on a building site next two two large developments.

Return to “Holidays and Hotels in Bulgaria”