driving from Sofia to Elhovo

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
districtnurse

driving from Sofia to Elhovo

Postby districtnurse » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:20 pm

Just wondering if anyone has experience of driving from Sofia airport to Elhovo or Yambol. We have so far only flown to Bourgas, but are thinking of flying to Sofia next summer, as it seems to be by far the cheapest option. Is Sofia airport easy to get out of, and is the main road from Sofia to Harmanli a good one? Thanks in anticipation!

Districtnurse.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Griswalds

Postby Griswalds » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:48 pm

We did this journey both ways in April. Luckily we followed another car from Sofia to Elhovo, and found our way back into Sofia quite easy using a map. The road was very good most of the way. If you've already driven from Bourgas you should find it just as easily, it's not too bad finding the motorway from the airport.
Good luck.
The Griswalds.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bigbulg
<b>Legal Services</b>

Postby bigbulg » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:22 am

Dont worry about getting from the Airport to the main Sofia/burgas road, get a taxi and follow it, when you've done it once its not so bad after that.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
BulgariaCarRent
<b>Car Rental</b>

Postby BulgariaCarRent » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:40 am

It is pretty easy to get to the Sofia Bourgas road from the Airport. Just follow main road from the airport for ca. 3km. When you pass under a bridge it is actually the road to Plovdiv/Istanbul/Bourgas. Immediately after the bridge turn right and then by the Shell tank station again right The route is pretty well signed. Just follow the signs to Plovdiv/Istanbul

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
oldtimer
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby oldtimer » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:23 am

The road is very easy to follow, just be careful when you leave Sofia there is usually a police speed check, there are service area's on the motorway which have nice clean toilets, once you leave the motorway the road is OK but does get quite busy, and only a 2 way road, will propably take you about 5 hours to drive, have a great trip.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
annielou
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby annielou » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:36 am

I agree with Bigbulg. I have done this a few times when not sure and it has saved time and frustration (not just in Bulgaria) . It is a lot to take in when you first arrive - which route, reading the signs and driving at the same time. 8O

It costs very little to get a taxi to lead you to the road you want. You could also ask the hire car company to do this - twice now I have had cars delivered to my hotel in Sofia and the car hire people have kindly driven in front of me and showed me the way to go. When they know I am on the correct road they just signal me to carry on and go off with a cheery wave - that is Sikon Car Hire. I have also stopped in Plovdiv as I learned on this site that the Hebros Hotel is hard to find - how right they were! Even the taxi had problems but he radioed in for directions and it was much easier following him through the twists and turns of the old town. When returning to Sofia, sometimes I find it easy and sometimes I get lost :oops: - it depends where I am coming from. I try for a while to find my way around but if not, I just pull in at a convenient taxi and give them a few bob to lead me where I want to go.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
districtnurse

Postby districtnurse » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:42 am

Thanks, guys - very helpful, and so many replies! I will save about £125 per person booking with Wizz to Sofia instead of other airlines to Varna or Bourgas, so I think it will be definitely worth the longer drive.

Districtnurse.

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”