compulsory third-party insurance

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Uncle
<b>Property Management/Sales</b>

Postby Uncle » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:00 pm

A minimum requirement is to have Third Party Insurance, Which covers you for damage to another person and not their vehicle. My understanding is that all cars should have this insurance. It is not compulsary to have Fully Comp which only covers your own vehicle.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
GarryN
Super User!
Super User!

Postby GarryN » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:04 pm

Uncle wrote:A minimum requirement is to have Third Party Insurance, Which covers you for damage to another person and not their vehicle.

I think you'll find third party covers covers their vehicle as well, but not yours.

Garry

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
balkankiwi
Super User!
Super User!

Postby balkankiwi » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:12 pm

Uncle wrote:A minimum requirement is to have Third Party Insurance, Which covers you for damage to another person and not their vehicle. My understanding is that all cars should have this insurance. It is not compulsary to have Fully Comp which only covers your own vehicle.

Yes its important not to confuse this compulsory third-party insurance with voluntary comprehensive cover. The 3rd-party insurance is called "Гражданска Отговорност" (Grazhdanska Otgovornost - Citizens' Responsibility) and is widely sold by insurance companies, banks, insurance agents etc. The cover is for up to 12 months from purchase date but if you buy a vehicle with existing cover, even if only a few weeks - or days - old, you have to buy a new cover because its issued to, and must be in the name of, the vehicle's owner. If stopped by the cops you must be able to produce the "talon" - document - showing current cover or risk getting issued with an "act" - a traffic violation.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tandt
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby tandt » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:28 pm

Hi, so does the compulsary third party insurance cover damage to the other persons car, or just damage to the other person ? :?
Trev.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Uncle
<b>Property Management/Sales</b>

Postby Uncle » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:29 am

It is my understanding, having just gone through this process that each car owner has the responsibility to insure their own vehicle. The Third Party insurance is compulsory and covers any damage to the people involved in an accident.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
balkankiwi
Super User!
Super User!

Postby balkankiwi » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:07 am

tandt wrote:Hi, so does the compulsary third party insurance cover damage to the other persons car, or just damage to the other person ? :?
Trev.

The Grazhdanska Otgovornost (compulsory 3rd party insurance) provides cover against both 3rd party property and injury claims (up to 200,000 leva for property and 1 million leva for injury).

Bear in mind that, to this point at least, there's no set premium for this insurance - different companies offer different rates of discount to attract the business. I renewed mine y/day for 12 mths (in consequence of getting new XX plates for my jeep) via an insurance agent I use - the premium was 116.40 leva in total. Though I read recently that the govt is looking to impose a standard premium on the industry for this cover.

For an additional 88 leva, I can get a 12-mths foreign extension covering all EU countries and others which Bulgaria has a green card arrangement with (especially Serbia and Turkey).

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
TheFly
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby TheFly » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:58 am

Hi is it possible to insure a british registered car in Bg..As i am buying a car this weekend and only insuring it for 1 month while in this country then driving it out to Bg and leaving it there for my wife,so she will need insurance and not sure how the law and time limit applies to registration of cars in Bg..Any help would be great........Thank You :)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
chunky002
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby chunky002 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:30 am

TheFly wrote:Hi is it possible to insure a british registered car in Bg..As i am buying a car this weekend and only insuring it for 1 month while in this country then driving it out to Bg and leaving it there for my wife,so she will need insurance and not sure how the law and time limit applies to registration of cars in Bg..Any help would be great........Thank You :)

Hi Fly

There are lots of uk plated vehicles here and am positive alot are insured. I have spanish plates and the insurance was 100 lev for the year. went to a few brokers and found out that none of them would insure a foreign vehicle but found out through a friend that dzi bank do it, so would assume no problem with british plates.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Vulgarbulgar
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Vulgarbulgar » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:46 am

Hi Thefly
if u have probs insuring it i suggest you put BG plates on it and register it under your co. name if you have one
Also suggest a lhd as it can be a bit dodgey overtakin on these roads good luck

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
oddball
Super User!
Super User!

Postby oddball » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:45 pm

Hi Guys

A question has arisin and I cannot answer it can anyone else help.

This is the question

Can i insure my car in england with a insurance co in bulgaria to save money?
ive heard that people in england are using insurance companies in bulgaria to insure there cars here at home as it is supposed to be a lot,lot cheaper? and if so does anyone know of these companys?

Thanks Oddy

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”