compulsory third-party insurance

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Liliputian

Re: compulsory third-party insurance

Postby Liliputian » Fri May 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone offer some general advice on the requirements for driving a UK registered car over to Bulgaria and keeping it (and driving it) there for a year? Is it simply a case of having insurance from the UK that covers the journey over there (I think mine has a maximum 1 month for any single journey within the EU), and then getting Bulgaria-specific insurance once in Bulgaria? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, just wondering if there are any peculiarities I should be aware of.

millerman

Postby millerman » Sat May 20, 2017 5:03 am

I did this a long time ago,but I made sure I was taxed/ tested + insurance for a year before I set off,my insurance covered me.I then registered the car in BG,taxed and tested+insured it here.
Now people may tell you they have insured uk reg cars here,whether they have or not I don't know,it may well be that you can,but what if your uk test has lapsed.
I think you may find that your're on dodgy ground if the car has no test and you have an accident,''insured or not''.I'm certain you cannot get your car tested over here unless it's registered here.
Of coarse I might be wrong on all fronts.
If you come over regular it may well be more cost effective to buy an old banger here which is already reg/taxed/tested here,plus if it's still insured,the insurance is transferable to you,not like in the uk...it's usually the car that's insured here.
Just my two penneth.

bigbulg
<b>Legal Services</b>

Postby bigbulg » Sat May 20, 2017 6:55 am

In theory it is possible to remain on UK plates for a year,
1. Saga Insurance (if you're old enough) offer 12 months driving abroad, and as far as i'm aware, no restrictions ie for a maximum of days in a single trip (like 90 with some), but you have to be resident in the UK at the time of purchase.
2. MOT? You can retest your vehicle just before you leave and if it still has remaining MOT you can get 13 Months before next test.
3. Luckily you can now buy vehicle excise duty (road tax) online, you will still need this although you are not in the country because without it you would have to SORN the vehicle, effectively confirming the car is "off the road", which could bring up insurance issues should you be unlucky enough to claim.
4. If you take your car for longer than 12 months it is classed as permanently exported, worth mentioning but i've not heard of any issues about this, i'm unsure if Border Control,DVLA,Vosa keep exit checks anyway.
5. Enjoy the journey whichever route you choose, take your time and plan ahead. Take a recent European road atlas and don't believe everything the Satnav says! :lol:

Liliputian

Postby Liliputian » Sun May 21, 2017 2:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yes I'll arrange the next MOT just before I leave the UK which should see me through, and will have a search for insurance policies that cover me for the full year in the EU (plus Serbia if possible).

Re: satnavs - yes I know what you mean, last time driving through Romania was directed up a dirt path and then instructed to drive straight ahead and on to the ferry, which had stopped running years before. I now know to disable the ferry options and to make sure I have a fair idea from the map of where I'm going. By the time I'd arrived in Bulgaria the most dreaded word to hear was 'recalculating...'

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”