Scheduled Flights From The UK to Bulgaria

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Re: Scheduled Flights From The UK to Bulgaria

Postby truckyboy » Wed May 23, 2018 4:35 pm

copied from Ryanair wikipedia..sorry old timer..lol

ChrisF
Super User!
Super User!

Postby ChrisF » Fri May 25, 2018 7:13 am

Am I the only one that uses British Airways and KLM?
During the last 14 years I've tried the others mentioned, and really don't think much of them - not as cheap or convenient as they are supposed to be, in my opinion.
As an example, I recently booked BA from Sofia to Newcastle one way. Cost £100 which includes 23 kg of hold luggage. Leave Sofia terminal 2 at 2.30 pm, arrive in Newcastle at 7.30 pm. One change at Heathrow (only 2 hours between flights) and luggage booked all the way through so only hand luggage to deal with on the journey. No long drives (and fuel costs) or train or bus journeys (and fares)
Similar journey time and luggage allowance with KLM, except the flight leaves Sofia at 7.00 am and the flight change is in Amsterdam and I am in Newcastle about 1.30 pm
The only other difference is that KLM work in partnership with Bulgaria Air so it's actually Bulgaria Air from Sofia to Amsterdam although the booking is through KLM.
Food and drink are provided on KLM but BA don't now provide free refreshments but sell sandwiches and drinks
There are, of course, flights to different parts of the UK from both Heathrow and Schipol (Amsterdam) - you're not restricted to Newcastle!

varnagirl
Super User!
Super User!

Postby varnagirl » Sat May 26, 2018 6:09 pm

I would have never stoped using BA ChrisF...if it was still flying to Varna....but as you know stoped years ago....you have a much bigger and better choice flying from Sofia....
and yes the cheap airlines are not cheap..they are crap and now as for the flight times....%%^£ ^^88& !!

ChrisF
Super User!
Super User!

Postby ChrisF » Sun May 27, 2018 6:56 am

Yes, those were the days....... I think that flight arrived about 8.30 pm.
I remember being on that flight once and someone had brought yellow paint in their hold luggage and the tin exploded, covering everyone's luggage, and the hold, in thick yellow gunge.........
Anyway, my point is, whether I fly BA or KLM I can get door-to-door, V.T. to Newcastle, in 12 hours
with very hassle and with 23 kg of luggage which i don't have to think about once I check in at Sofia until I arrive in Newcastle. Good flight times, good prices and very helpful staff

banjo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby banjo » Sun May 27, 2018 10:22 am

I started using BA to Varna years ago but the service was axed as we all know. I used Bulgaria Air a few times.Then came along Wizzair from Luton I used them in the last ten years they are not cheap anymore and sick of the service you get. I am flying from Birmingham on Tuesday with Thomas cook for the first time so we will see I will keep forum informed. Flight time is good and I will land in Varna 11.30 am be in apt about midday then go and do shopping and get the drink in oh and food. :D :D

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby truckyboy » Mon May 28, 2018 4:49 pm

I am driving over this year..will stay for around 3 months..my wife is flying but a month after me ( june 25th ) however, she was searching for the cheap flights, and i thought i would help her..so i managed to find a very cheap flight with Thomas cook..wasnt till after i paid that she said to me, thats for the 22nd may..I want the 22nd July..Oh **** !!..so tried to get in touch..what a nightmare..phones just kep ringing for around 2 hours a time, then i managed to get to talk on line with someone, explained my predicament, and wanted to change the month ( obviously with an increase in the fare ) after 3 days of trying, i finally got someone who really couldnt help us ( me ) so said i would cancel..they gave me are-direct..which i used..told them all about it once again..they said no refund, but will refund the tax part..then 2 days later my wife received an email saying, they couldnt accept the cancellation..no doubt to save them re-funding..they were an absolute nightmare to contact..and the last time i flew with them, they cancelled the flight with no notice..and had to sit upstairs on the roof in Bourgas airport..for 5 hours ( cos i smoke and there was a bar ) eventually she got a flight booked with Balkan ( bg air ) or whatever theyre called..but i think the days of the cheap flight is now gone, and i dont fancy the bus for 3 days..but i`m happy to use the car..will get it serviced before i go, get everything checked etc..aircon topped up..and i`m almost ready to go..but am never in a rush..so around 4 days using hotels or b&b..good luck everyone and happy holidays..dont forget the rakia banjo..lol

poulton
Super User!
Super User!

Postby poulton » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:56 am

I see JET2 have announced they are flying to Bulgaria in 2019.
Manchester being one of the new departure airports.

banjo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby banjo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:52 pm

Arrived in Varna 2.30 am from Luton with wizzair for some reason flight times have changed this year. Flew with Thomas cook in may but they do not fly direct to Varna after August I guess the package holidays have finished by then. Its now rakia time cheers.

oldtimer
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby oldtimer » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:59 am

See Wizz are dropping there Varna to Sofia route.

poulton
Super User!
Super User!

Postby poulton » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:09 pm

Disappointed to hear that.

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”