Italy - Greece route

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
starby
<b> Pool Supplier/Installer </b>

Italy - Greece route

Postby starby » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:26 pm

Hi all

Well finally we are on our way. Oggi is collecting the furniture on Saturday 14th April and we hope to set off on Monday 16th.

Back in January there were a few people that said they were heading out in April on the Italy - Greece route. Just wondered if anyone else is ready to go.

For those of you that have already used this route, do you know if you can take dogs on the ferry?We didn't think about it when we planned but if they are not allowed we will have to change plans.

Thanks

Shirley

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Pelican
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Pelican » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:48 pm

Glad to hear that you are soon to be on your way.

We did the route from Venice to Igoumenitsa in Sept 2005 and our dog came with us.

We were supposed to keep her housed in kennels/cages on the top deck as animals are not allowed in the cabins but we managed to smuggle her down.

We had a great deal of fun sneaking her up and down to the deck for walkies, poos and wees.

Peggy (our dog) is very small and easily fitted under my coat as we dodged the ships crew in hallways, stairs and public areas. :)

Have a safe journey and keep us informed of your progress.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:53 pm

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
starby

Postby starby » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:03 pm

Hi Pelican

Thank you for that information.

I hadn't looked at the Venice to Igoumenitsa route. How long is the ferry trip? The less driving the better as I always get the blame if we get lost :lol: Even if i am driving! The thing that appeals to me is that you can have a sleep and know that the vehicle is secure.

Our dog is a little Jack Russell called Minnie and she really doesn't like cages as she used to be kept in one as a pup. So I guess we will have to get the holdall out :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
starby

Postby starby » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:08 am

Thanks Mod and Carole

A very clear and informative post.

Shirley

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Coxer
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Coxer » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:52 am

Hi Starby we did the italy/greece ferry route last year if my memory serves me well it's 22 hours and from what we saw of the dog kennels they seemed ok :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
starby

Postby starby » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:06 am

Thanks Coxer.
Hopefully the weather should be quite nice by April and it shouldn't be cold on deck for her :D

So do I take it that there are fixed kennels or cages or was it an area that you put your own in?

Also the 22 hours, was that from Ancona? I am also looking at the Venice trip to see what the difference in ferry/road travel is.

Shirley

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jayel
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

igoumenitsa to bg

Postby jayel » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:29 am

Be carefull going this route even in april the mountains can get snowbound, even with no snow take your time over the mountain they dont call it curse pass for nothing, allow plenty of time to get to thessalonica and dont even think about it in the dark. happy driving.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
sheffieldm
Super User!
Super User!

boats

Postby sheffieldm » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:39 am

we took our 10 dogs on the ferry from italy to greece the ferry was an open deck which ment you could go to your car which we didnt know the dogs ere fine.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
BulgariaInfoOnline
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby BulgariaInfoOnline » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:53 am

We drove the "curse path" in the dark and with a trailer on the back of us - definently not advisable!! [-o<

We took 3 dogs on the ferry over and had no problems whatsoever, it was a nice crossing and we could go and visit the dogs whenever we wanted to!

Debbie

P.S Wow! 10 dogs!! That must have been fun sheffieldm!

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”